Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which one of these states would you live?
New York 16 23.88%
Florida 27 40.30%
Virginia 20 29.85%
Massachusetts 24 35.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 09:55 PM

8,491 posts, read 4,735,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah VA and especially MA are a lot less urban than you might think. MA and NY are hyperurban.in their alpha cities. But they die.off to wilderness and forests fast

Actually big reason I don't like Mass is I think it's urbanity dies off wayyyy too fast
Mostly, I kinda want the chance to live in a recognizably first world suburb, but be able to drive somewhere under an hour away and blow things up like a teenage boy. Yes, that’s puerile as hell. No, I don’t see that happening out East. No, I don’t actually see myself doing that. That’s part of why I have always liked the desert vibe, and it doesn’t hurt that I like the scenery, too. So, when I say it’s too densely packed, I probably have a really different calibration as to what that means.

I just want a fairly permissive place. Weed, good, guns, good, immigrants, good. And with plenty of land for stupid shenanigans.

Last edited by jcp123; 03-02-2021 at 10:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 06:02 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Mostly, I kinda want the chance to live in a recognizably first world suburb, but be able to drive somewhere under an hour away and blow things up like a teenage boy. Yes, that’s puerile as hell. No, I don’t see that happening out East. No, I don’t actually see myself doing that. That’s part of why I have always liked the desert vibe, and it doesn’t hurt that I like the scenery, too. So, when I say it’s too densely packed, I probably have a really different calibration as to what that means.

I just want a fairly permissive place. Weed, good, guns, good, immigrants, good. And with plenty of land for stupid shenanigans.
Virginia. I cant fathom how rural VA is. Like just look at a picture of Appalachia or something...

Outside Boston, most of MA looks like this: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6167...7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4824...7i13312!8i6656

Based on your criteria:

Virginia
Weed? Yes, Coming Soon.
Guns? Ya
Immigrants? No

Massachusetts
Weed? Ayyah. Only state where its currently legal and in practice on this list.
Guns? lol no.
Immigrants? Yes

Florida
Weed? No
Guns? Yes
Immigrants? Yes

New York
Weed? No
Guns? No
Immigrants? Yes

New Jersey?
Weed? Yes. Legal now.
Guns. No
Immigrants? No.

Old 03-03-2021, 07:50 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,313,324 times
I almost picked Massachusetts because I like its coastal influences a bit more.

But then realizing Boston and NYC are about the same for COL.

I went with NY. Boston is great but currently is overpriced. IMO.

Old 03-03-2021, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I almost picked Massachusetts because I like its coastal influences a bit more.

But then realizing Boston and NYC are about the same for COL.

I went with NY. Boston is great but currently is overpriced. IMO.
Extremely overpriced. It's not really worth it anymore

Old 03-03-2021, 08:15 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,313,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Extremely overpriced. It's not really worth it anymore
Yea the NIMBY nature of Mass is starting to hurt it. Boston is great and I do like the Mass coastal communities more than Long Island, but when I can pay the same (or even less) to live in NYC, I choose NY any day.

Old 03-03-2021, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Yea the NIMBY nature of Mass is starting to hurt it. Boston is great and I do like the Mass coastal communities more than Long Island, but when I can pay the same (or even less) to live in NYC, I choose NY any day.
One beam of hope is Everett MA is joining the skyscraper game. Last night a huge 400ft tower was proposed with a rooftop restaurant/club,next to the Encore. Hopefully this will start a series of large projects in Everett that came after the Encore and that huge site along the river that they plan to build up... Now a tower in Everett. It may be the beginning of something big. The city likes the 4am closing time too..

But yes, NIMBYism is killing Boston. I think overall Boston's quality is slightly better than NYC, but paying 70-100% more for a home in a suburb? No. Ridiculous.

Old 03-03-2021, 08:25 AM

71 posts, read 65,673 times
Virginia, hands down. Born, lived, and love to visit Florida, but I would never move back. NY and Massachusetts are nice to visit, but you need to be from there to live there long term, and the long, dark, damp, slushy winters would totally kill it for me. Not sure about Mass., but taxes in NY will eat you alive.

Last edited by BobHoward; 03-03-2021 at 08:34 AM..

Old 03-03-2021, 09:03 AM

93,272 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHoward View Post
Virginia, hands down. Born, lived, and love to visit Florida, but I would never move back. NY and Massachusetts are nice to visit, but you need to be from there to live there long term, and the long, dark, damp, slushy winters would totally kill it for me. Not sure about Mass., but taxes in NY will eat you alive.
Yes, they tend to be high, but overall cost of living in much of the state is actually around the national average, give or take. So, that will depend on the area within the state.

An example of this(view complete Listing by Affordability Rank): https://www.nahb.org/News-and-Econom...ortunity-Index

Old 03-03-2021, 09:15 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
MA is pretty damn urban. It's not sprawling urbanity but when you live in one of MA's many cities. You feel like you're in a city. And they're scattered al over the state. A huge chunk of the state lives in an urban environment.

Its got one of the deepest contrast between urban and non-urban in the US.

Old 03-03-2021, 09:15 AM

Living upstate ny isn't all that expensive and it has a high wages
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City