Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which one of these states would you live?
New York 16 23.88%
Florida 27 40.30%
Virginia 20 29.85%
Massachusetts 24 35.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 06:11 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,026,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHoward View Post
OK, upstate is not so expensive. But where are these high wages? Schenectady, Utica, Buffalo?
$15 mininums soon in Upstate where rent can be 600 a month? ounds high to me..

Compared to someone slumming it out for $7.25 an hour in a similarly COL area like NC or TN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2021, 12:18 PM

279 posts, read 317,165 times
I've lived in FL. It's a great state to visit. Living there comes with many issues, particularly for families. It is far far poorer than most would assume. It also has many hyper-rich areas. In a weird way, it's sort of further along the evolution where much of the country could be headed.

Old 05-08-2021, 12:28 PM

637 posts, read 407,788 times
Can’t say I totally disagree with this. What part of Florida did you live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor0101 View Post
I've lived in FL. It's a great state to visit. Living there comes with many issues, particularly for families. It is far far poorer than most would assume. It also has many hyper-rich areas. In a weird way, it's sort of further along the evolution where much of the country could be headed.

Old 05-08-2021, 04:54 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,026,863 times
Quote:
Agreed. I lived in an upper middle-class bubble. Went one mile in any direction it went to 30%+ poverty levels. Sad.

Old 05-08-2021, 05:17 PM

279 posts, read 317,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post
Can’t say I totally disagree with this. What part of Florida did you live?
At one point I lived in Westchase (near Tampa), and I've also lived in Fort Lauderdale. Both had a similar thing where I could be surrounded by manicured estates, and then 1/4mi away and I'm in areas I wouldn't go near at night. My parents also had a place in Siesta Key, and the island itself was quite nice, however the entire area of Sarasota was really dicey. It was similar visiting a friend of mine in West Palm. Where he lived was a beautiful neighborhood. Go 1/2mi down the street and it was really rough looking.

I think in FL, there are people with a ton of money they made wherever, and then there are a ton of folks that came there broke, or with a menial job for the sun. And others are the "help" who just do retail, or other service work who barely make anything, and compete with a ton of other folks for the privilege.

I remember when I moved to Boston's suburbs I was blown away by how expensive all services were. The reason for that is that there was quite a bit of money all over the place, and relatively few people to do the service / skilled labor work. So these days most anyone makes pretty decent money here. There are pockets of poverty, but they are fairly rare. I think the main reason for this is a) the type of people coming here tend to be well employed and b) the people growing up here tend to be pretty well educated.

Obviously MA is not a sun + sand destination, so we do not really get those folks showing up, and trying to figure out how to eke out a living like FL probably does.

Old 05-08-2021, 06:17 PM

2,345 posts, read 2,296,547 times
Quote:
At one point I lived in Westchase (near Tampa), and I've also lived in Fort Lauderdale. Both had a similar thing where I could be surrounded by manicured estates, and then 1/4mi away and I'm in areas I wouldn't go near at night. My parents also had a place in Siesta Key, and the island itself was quite nice, however the entire area of Sarasota was really dicey. It was similar visiting a friend of mine in West Palm. Where he lived was a beautiful neighborhood. Go 1/2mi down the street and it was really rough looking.

I think in FL, there are people with a ton of money they made wherever, and then there are a ton of folks that came there broke, or with a menial job for the sun. And others are the "help" who just do retail, or other service work who barely make anything, and compete with a ton of other folks for the privilege.

I remember when I moved to Boston's suburbs I was blown away by how expensive all services were. The reason for that is that there was quite a bit of money all over the place, and relatively few people to do the service / skilled labor work. So these days most anyone makes pretty decent money here. There are pockets of poverty, but they are fairly rare. I think the main reason for this is a) the type of people coming here tend to be well employed and b) the people growing up here tend to be pretty well educated.

Obviously MA is not a sun + sand destination, so we do not really get those folks showing up, and trying to figure out how to eke out a living like FL probably does.
I can’t think of anywhere within 1/4th mile of Westchase that’s dangerous. Yeah, TnC is sketchy but it’s further away. Most places from Sheldon all the way to the beach are pretty good.

Old 05-08-2021, 06:21 PM

2,345 posts, read 2,296,547 times
I’d be glad to live in any one of these states. If you’re choosing between Boca Raton, McLean (VA), Scarsdale, or Brookline you can’t really go wrong. Likewise, each state has places you really don’t want to live either.

Old 05-08-2021, 09:13 PM

393 posts, read 262,380 times
Florida is my type of state!

Old 05-09-2021, 05:17 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I almost picked Massachusetts because I like its coastal influences a bit more.

But then realizing Boston and NYC are about the same for COL.

I went with NY. Boston is great but currently is overpriced. IMO.
You’re confusing Boston with Massachusetts. Once you get outside commuting range of the Boston job market, housing prices drop considerably. It’s also not all congested. My town has over 10 square miles of land trust and conservation easements. I live in the high density coastal harbor village part of town but my bicycle loop is mostly rural roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City