Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Florida or South Carolina?
Florida 41 71.93%
South Carolina 16 28.07%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 08:36 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,939,398 times

Advertisements

I'm really surprised this one has never been done on this forum before, but anyway....!

Which state do you think is better to live in? Florida or South Carolina?

Currently, I have been living in Florida for over 3 years now, in Jacksonville. I like it but I'm wondering if I would actually prefer to live in South Carolina. After much thought, I think I would really like to live in this South Atlantic region of the country. However, I think I would prefer to live in a less populated area than Jacksonville and preferably somewhere less conservative. I don't care for beaches at all. But I do prefer warm climate and lots of greenery and occasionally seeing water. So, I do prefer the climate in FL because I get an extra two months of warmth. But SC is still plenty warm for long enough.

Has anyone lived in both states? I'm 36, single, gay, male, professional. I was thinking maybe Columbia. I would do Charleston, but it's really not affordable. My career field pays even lower there and housing is higher..yikes! The plan would be to look for a new job in SC then sell my house here in FL, move to SC and live in an apartment for a year and then buy a house. I like that houses are much cheaper in SC and I would be walking away from the sale of my FL home with over $90K in cash in the bank!

So, feel free to respond however you like, to any of these questions:

1. Which state would you personally prefer to live in?
2. Which state do you think would be a better fit for me to live in?
3. Which state do you think is objectively better to live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2021, 08:57 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,238,998 times
I'd rather live in SC simply because I'd like at least a hint of all 4 seasons but if I were in your position I'd probably stick it out in Florida. Overall Florida I think is "better" but it's not like SC is terrible either.

If you are interested in SC, I'd at least look into Greenville if you're thinking about Columbia. The knock on Greenville is that it's heavily conservative and family-oriented and while there is some truth to that, it's got more of a "yuppie" vibe to it than Columbia IMO, the DT area is fantastic for a city of its size and has a great energy. Columbia isn't bad but it's a college/government town to the core, and a lot of my Gamecock friends who swore they'd never leave after graduation did so by their mid-20's because the jobs were better elsewhere, one ended up in Greenville and likes it better than first thought.

Last edited by Canes2006Champs; 03-05-2021 at 09:09 PM..

Old 03-05-2021, 10:24 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,850,974 times
Don't think it's fair because FL is so much bigger and more diverse . Don't think there is anything wrong with SCbut it gets overshadowed by its neighbors

Old 03-05-2021, 10:38 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,939,398 times
I don't understand why a comparison can only be considered "fair" if both places are similar size or population. I strongly disagree with that philosophy. Population size or geographical size is merely another dimension for comparison.

Old 03-05-2021, 10:44 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,850,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I don't understand why a comparison can only be considered "fair" if both places are similar size or population. I strongly disagree with that philosophy. Population size or geographical size is merely another dimension for comparison.
Well I don't think it's necessarily unfair to compare different size places, particularly when the larger place is more affordable in general. I don't see that being the case here.

4x as many people live in FL than SC. So if they are roughly the same price to live in and there isn't another barrier of free movement between them, we can guess that most people would prefer to live in FL than SC

Old 03-05-2021, 11:28 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,371,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I'm really surprised this one has never been done on this forum before, but anyway....!

Which state do you think is better to live in? Florida or South Carolina?

Currently, I have been living in Florida for over 3 years now, in Jacksonville. I like it but I'm wondering if I would actually prefer to live in South Carolina. After much thought, I think I would really like to live in this South Atlantic region of the country. However, I think I would prefer to live in a less populated area than Jacksonville and preferably somewhere less conservative. I don't care for beaches at all. But I do prefer warm climate and lots of greenery and occasionally seeing water. So, I do prefer the climate in FL because I get an extra two months of warmth. But SC is still plenty warm for long enough.

Has anyone lived in both states? I'm 36, single, gay, male, professional. I was thinking maybe Columbia. I would do Charleston, but it's really not affordable. My career field pays even lower there and housing is higher..yikes! The plan would be to look for a new job in SC then sell my house here in FL, move to SC and live in an apartment for a year and then buy a house. I like that houses are much cheaper in SC and I would be walking away from the sale of my FL home with over $90K in cash in the bank!

So, feel free to respond however you like, to any of these questions:

1. Which state would you personally prefer to live in?
2. Which state do you think would be a better fit for me to live in?
3. Which state do you think is objectively better to live in?
I would personally prefer to live in Florida because its warmer has milder winters and has no state income tax.

Old 03-06-2021, 07:55 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,020,538 times
didn't you just buy a home in JAX?

Old 03-06-2021, 08:59 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,843,148 times
SC is not really a place to go if looking for “less conservative” anything though it would meet the criteria of less crowded. My preference between the two is colored because I think Charleston is one of the gems in the country, though for understandable reasons you are not too keen on it. Columbia is nice enough, but I don’t know it enough to give much advice on it.

I’d look at some of the northern suburbs of Charleston (Berkeley County). Even if you don’t avail yourself of the beach much, it provides access to downtown and the amazing restaurants and bars and events. Otherwise, there are worse places to live than Jacksonville.

Old 03-06-2021, 09:07 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,125,268 times
South Carolina hands down. The Piedmont is better than the coastal sandbar. I think most people still like some sort of seasons and SE winters are pretty darn calm. The bummer about SC is that Charleston is one of the main anchors, but it's got hurricane AND earthquake problems.

Both areas are rapidly changing; culture is going to be pretty fluid.

City data is biased though, bigger always wins on polls.

Old 03-06-2021, 09:14 AM

12,158 posts, read 7,985,265 times
SC only because Charleston. Charleston and Savannah's SC burbs like Beaufort and Hilton Head destroy FL for me. Most of FL is highly undesirable for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City