Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 11:23 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,124,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post
Better Future: Now this is the million dollar question and I feel like a lot of the answer depends on how California recovers from COVID. Florida has practically dismissed COVID (rightly or wrongly). I see the growth here in WPB and South Florida and it’s booming. The housing market is insane (I’m closing on a new construction home in September). San Diego will continue to be a draw, and as long as COVID doesn’t affect its economy, and people are too turned of by its homeless problem, it’ll continue to do well. Tie...but if MSA is included, WPB.
San Diego has and will always have a more resilient economy than South Florida. Real estate isn't exactly a solid economic base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2021, 01:13 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,556,774 times
One area where SoFla is gaining a stronger foothold since the advent of Covid is in the financial industry as more hedge funds and bank divisions have relocated their companies, personnel and/or opened satellite offices here. Palm Beach County, not just Miami, has been a beneficiary of such moves. The big prize will be if Goldman Sachs follows through on a rumored relocation of its asset management division to the Palm Beach area.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bus...-2020-12%3famp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj...te-11614020268

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
San Diego has and will always have a more resilient economy than South Florida. Real estate isn't exactly a solid economic base.

Last edited by elchevere; 03-08-2021 at 01:37 AM..

Old 03-08-2021, 02:41 AM

156 posts, read 174,724 times
The entire city of San Diego compared to West Palm Beach? San Diego is so much bigger and covers a much larger land area, so it's not really a fair comparison. That's like comparing Los Angeles to Oceanside.

With that being said, I'd still rather live in West Palm. I find it more desirable for a host of reasons, including but not limited to: better weather, no state income tax, better beaches (warmer water, more swimmable), its in Florida not California (huge plus). West Palm is also part of the Miami metropolitan area, which is massive and offers so much more than SD metro, in particular nightlife. Cali nightlife is horrible. I prefer being on the east coast as well because it offers better access to places like New York, DC, Chicago, Europe and the Caribbean.

Last edited by kingsdl76; 03-08-2021 at 03:27 AM..

Old 03-08-2021, 07:06 AM

635 posts, read 407,011 times
THIS! Palm Beach Island has a large concentration of mega wealthy residents. You could throw a rock and literally hit a wealth/asset management firm there. We are indeed poaching financial and hedge fund firms at an unprecedented rate. 360 Rosemary is practically 80% leased already and at a time when you can't give away commercial office space in the Northeast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
One area where SoFla is gaining a stronger foothold since the advent of Covid is in the financial industry as more hedge funds and bank divisions have relocated their companies, personnel and/or opened satellite offices here. Palm Beach County, not just Miami, has been a beneficiary of such moves. The big prize will be if Goldman Sachs follows through on a rumored relocation of its asset management division to the Palm Beach area.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bus...-2020-12%3famp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj...te-11614020268

Old 03-08-2021, 09:55 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,556,774 times
And along with the Wall Street crowd, NYC businesses/good restaurants/retailers have followed (all over SoFla).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost....s-are-too/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...ing-covid.html

Could be one reason why Palm Beach was deemed the hottest real estate market in the nation at the end of last year. Close friend, Securities attorney, got multiple offers/above ask on his 100 year old house (but ideally situated just 50 yards from the beach and 3 blocks over from Worth Avenue) to move into his much larger and more expensive waterfront (both sides) Jupiter Island home that he couldn’t sell because some felt (at 17,000 sq ft) it wasn’t large enough...geez.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...kers-say-.html

Demographically (White non Hispanic) plus hometown ex NY friends, Palm Beach / Boca makes more sense for me but it just doesn’t have the energy level / exotic vibe and walkability of Miami (and I’m attracted to Latinas).

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post
THIS! Palm Beach Island has a large concentration of mega wealthy residents. You could throw a rock and literally hit a wealth/asset management firm there. We are indeed poaching financial and hedge fund firms at an unprecedented rate. 360 Rosemary is practically 80% leased already and at a time when you can't give away commercial office space in the Northeast.

Last edited by elchevere; 03-08-2021 at 10:26 AM..

Old 03-08-2021, 12:54 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
West Palm Beach, hands down.

Old 03-08-2021, 12:58 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,522,132 times
I would much rather live in San Diego than WPB, in terms of a city comparison. But has much as I love SD, I couldn't live in California. Florida is much more live/let live and doesn't have an oppressive, overreaching state government. So I'd have to go with WPB.

Old 03-08-2021, 06:58 PM

635 posts, read 407,011 times
In your case I can definitely understand your decision of choosing Miami - It definitely has the latinas. I’m 37 and married, but frequently go to Miami, especially Wynwood. I recently purchased a home in West Palm, but I totally agree with you about the walkability(mostly Brickell here), bustle, and just general energy aspect. If that is what one is looking for, Miami is the best Florida has to offer.

Side note: The brightline (now Virgin Trains USA) is a welcomed addition - it allows one to enjoy Miami more easily without living there - Although I would like to see a 3 am last ride time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
And along with the Wall Street crowd, NYC businesses/good restaurants/retailers have followed (all over SoFla).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost....s-are-too/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...ing-covid.html

Could be one reason why Palm Beach was deemed the hottest real estate market in the nation at the end of last year. Close friend, Securities attorney, got multiple offers/above ask on his 100 year old house (but ideally situated just 50 yards from the beach and 3 blocks over from Worth Avenue) to move into his much larger and more expensive waterfront (both sides) Jupiter Island home that he couldn’t sell because some felt (at 17,000 sq ft) it wasn’t large enough...geez.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...kers-say-.html

Demographically (White non Hispanic) plus hometown ex NY friends, Palm Beach / Boca makes more sense for me but it just doesn’t have the energy level / exotic vibe and walkability of Miami (and I’m attracted to Latinas).

Old 03-10-2021, 05:21 PM

16,558 posts, read 10,635,195 times
I lived in the West Palm Beach metro in the late 70s and early 80s, and the city was pretty dumpy at that time. San Diego, on the other hand, seemed like the best that California had to offer: prosperous, clean, interesting, scenic, yet not overwhelming. So based on my youthful experiences, I'd pick San Diego every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

But that was then, and this is now. West Palm Beach has made amazing strides in the past 20 years or so and it's really an up-and-coming place. San Diego, meanwhile, has been getting more big-city problems. In terms of climate and natural scenery, I'd still pick San Diego in a heartbeat. But in terms of which place has the brighter future, I'd have to give the nod to West Palm.

And even though I'm not really a fan of Florida, there are at least 45 or 46 states that I'd rather live in than California. So there's that to consider.

Old 03-10-2021, 05:41 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I lived in the West Palm Beach metro in the late 70s and early 80s, and the city was pretty dumpy at that time. San Diego, on the other hand, seemed like the best that California had to offer: prosperous, clean, interesting, scenic, yet not overwhelming. So based on my youthful experiences, I'd pick San Diego every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

But that was then, and this is now. West Palm Beach has made amazing strides in the past 20 years or so and it's really an up-and-coming place. San Diego, meanwhile, has been getting more big-city problems. In terms of climate and natural scenery, I'd still pick San Diego in a heartbeat. But in terms of which place has the brighter future, I'd have to give the nod to West Palm.

And even though I'm not really a fan of Florida, there are at least 45 or 46 states that I'd rather live in than California. So there's that to consider.
Your youthful experiences aren’t the case today. West Palm and surrounding are stunningly beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City