Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live, work and play, given the below criteria?
Atlanta metro 25 55.56%
Miami metro (incl. Fort Lauderdale and Palm Beach) 20 44.44%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 05:13 PM

626 posts, read 463,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I have many clients in the Miami area and salaries are very, very low, as compared to other metros its size in the US. Real estate is relatively high.

Oh come on two very's

It says you're in NYC so I'm sure you understand what's pulling people to the Miami metro. I think many people just claim Florida's income and wealth statistics are low because they see what's been going on down there the last couple of decades and especially now and they don't want to believe it so they're just holding onto anything they can having to do with the Florida of years ago. If all retirees benefits and bank accounts etc were somehow able to be factored into income and wealth statistics etc the numbers would shoot up even more. I'm not even going to get into the tourists..

The link below shows the 2019 per capita income numbers from the government for all the metros in the U.S.

Atlanta metro is at $54,000 with a growth rate of 2.6%

Miami metro is at $60,000 with a growth rate of 3.1%

Modcut: Removed off-topic comment

Take a look through the list below, you'd probably be surprised how high the Miami metro ranks, even if you were to factor in it's cost of living (which is overblown on this forum a lot)
Many people also accept smaller salaries in Florida because they will do anything they can to move or stay there. Once someone falls in love with Florida, they usually fall in love forever

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshine_tax

And also if you were able to somehow add in the all the hidden wealth that people in South Florida have that doesn't even get counted in any widely used statistic and then compared the numbers to the Atlanta metro's numbers, trust me it would be a pounding.

Perhaps you need to find some new clients?

https://www.bea.gov/sites/default/fi...pi1120msa.xlsx

Last edited by JMT; 03-11-2021 at 06:58 PM..

Old 03-11-2021, 05:43 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
-Cost of living: Atlanta
-Fiscal stability: Atlanta
-Amenities (nightlife, outdoor activities, etc): Miami for nightlife, and of course beaches and ocean; but Atlanta for everything else
What’s “everything else”?

Old 03-11-2021, 05:53 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,515,450 times
For me, Atlanta hands down. QOL (IMO) is much better. Not even close.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:46 PM

2,365 posts, read 1,853,815 times
Miami's city proper accounts for like 6.5% of the metro population. Atlanta accounts for around 8.2%. These are probably two "smallest" cities for a metro their size in the country. At least out of the major cities (leaving aside IE).

The similar metro size makes them well suited for comparison. Both have important satellite cities with a lot going on in them. I would say Miami takes it here when you throw in all that's offered in the surrounding area. For the city itself I'd give the nod to Atlanta.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Miami's city proper accounts for like 6.5% of the metro population. Atlanta accounts for around 8.2%. These are probably two "smallest" cities for a metro their size in the country. At least out of the major cities (leaving aside IE).

The similar metro size makes them well suited for comparison. Both have important satellite cities with a lot going on in them. I would say Miami takes it here when you throw in all that's offered in the surrounding area. For the city itself I'd give the nod to Atlanta.
I agree here. City? Atlanta. Metro? Miami.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:57 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
The poll results are the complete opposite from the last ATL vs MIA thread.

Old 03-11-2021, 07:36 PM

626 posts, read 463,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
The poll results are the complete opposite from the last ATL vs MIA thread.
Yeah I saw it at 9-2 before it got deleted and remade. Pretty sure it's because cost of living is the first thing listed in the original post now. The deleted thread made no mention of cost of living. It's understandable hey what can ya do. But there really should be more factors listed than just cost of living, fiscal stability and amenities. There's just so much more to people's lives than just those three.

Old 03-11-2021, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
Yeah I saw it at 9-2 before it got deleted and remade. Pretty sure it's because cost of living is the first thing listed in the original post now. The deleted thread made no mention of cost of living. It's understandable hey what can ya do. But there really should be more factors listed than just cost of living, fiscal stability and amenities. There's just so much more to people's lives than just those three.
I’d argue those three (COL, fiscal health and things to do) are the main things people look at when relocating. Remember, fiscal health includes job market.

I do agree, cost of living being a factor, makes more people choose ATL. It’s just far more affordable, overall. Me? I’d rather pay more to live in the SFL environment.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:07 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,617,717 times
Two of my three favorite metros along with DC. I chose Atlanta because I'd rather live there. It seems to attract better jobs, grows faster, and have a decent nightlife. I visit the Miami area (Coconut Creek) often and it's very nice, but I'm ready to leave within a few days.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:16 PM

3,161 posts, read 2,209,438 times
South Florida is fine to visit, but I like living in an area with more rolling topography and distinct seasons, plus faster access to the rest of the US. Atlanta also is much more well rounded economically and comes across as being more culturally "American" while still highly diverse at the same time. Opinions will differ, and I certainly envy Florida residents when we have a particularly dreary stretch of winter days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.