Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 12:10 PM

149 posts, read 465,765 times

Advertisements

I am a 25 year old male currently living in Maine. Recent college graduate with a degree in Communications. My degree is centered around marketing and advertising and I am looking to move to South Florida within the next few months. I have been in contact with agents in Palm Beach County, Miami-Dade County and Broward county about apartments. I am mainly deciding between Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, and Miami or any nice surrounding cites within the counties. Where could I find an apartment (1 bedroom) for $700-900 a month and have it be somewhat nice and near the beach? Is West Palm Beach, Miami or Fort Lauderdale a better bet? Or are cities right near those( others in Palm Beach County, Pompano Beach, Miami Beach, Miami Shores, Brickell etc.) a better bet? I will be moving down without a job lined up, however I have about $15,000 saved up and I would find a particular job such as at a restaurant or at a local mall real quick while I am looking for work in my particular field of marketing and advertising. I have my resume on Careerbuilder and I get contacted from companies and it frustrating because I can't keep paying to fly down and stay at hotels for interviews for a job I may not even get. I did that about 8 months ago with a company in Fort Lauderdale and I was a finalist for the job but I didn't get it. However, I loved the area of Fort Lauderdale and I think I would love some areas of Miami also. Thanks in advance everyone! Trust me, there is for marketing and advertising in South Florida than here in Maine. I could maybe even get a job at a bank with a degree in Communications. Very broad major and I am glad my bachelors is in this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 12:11 PM

Being from Maine, people have said I just go to Boston but Boston is so much more expensive with apartments than even South Florida. Plus I hate winter and have always wanted to live in South Florida

Old 08-07-2011, 02:15 PM

32 posts, read 94,885 times
well, I am a twenty something who has recently moved to West Palm Beach to teach. I hate winters as well (shoveling snow is the worst!) and wanted to be closer to the beach. Although people complain there are jobs in the area, you just have to be very proactive about it.

According to many people on here, West Palm Beach is very iffy and you should not move here unless you have no other choices and you should just move to the more affluent areas (like Wellington or Jupiter) if you want to live in the county. But those areas will be out of your price range. I would check out the "villages" section of WPB, they have apartments for 700 to 900. There is a place not too far from me called "Portofino" that looks okay from the outside with rent starting at 892.

If you are like me and like the nightlife, Miami and even Fort Lauderdale might be better for you. I am not too aware of those areas but a quick search on rent.com shows slightly higher rents.

I wish you the best of luck...

Old 08-07-2011, 02:43 PM

Thank you very much. I think I could find something in my price range in FTL also...Miami may be harder. Trust me, any place can have more nightlife than Maine haha. I am sure I would love West Palm Beach also. Do you live right in West Palm? You like it?

Old 08-07-2011, 02:44 PM

How about the other cities like Boca Raton or Boynton Beach. I am also trying to figure which county would be the best for work in marketing and advertising.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:51 PM

13 posts, read 35,203 times
I've lived most of my life in West Palm Beach. It's really nice. You can get a condo by the beach on Singer Island for $1500, fully furnished. That's right off the coast of West Palm Beach.

If that kind of living space is that cheap, imagine elsewhere.

West Palm Beach is great. It's far cheaper than Miami, and you can take the Tri-Rail down to Miami for $5 if there's something going on down there or you otherwise just want to have fun in Miami. All major musicians usually have tour stops in West Palm Beach, downtown is active all the time, Rapids Water Park is one of the nicer water parks I've been to, the beach is less crowded than in Miami, SunFest is a yearly festival with performances for everyone and plenty of activities, etc.

I'm at school in Utah right now and I would give just about anything or maybe even everything in my possession to be in West Palm Beach. You would never be bored in West Palm Beach. It's like a more laid back Miami with less people and easier to get around.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:01 PM

That sounds great but I can not afford $1500 a month haha. Looking for more in the $700-900 range. Appreciate your thoughts though.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:08 PM

238 posts, read 576,253 times
You could easily find nice 1 bedroom apartments in West Palm Beach for around $900...as long as you don't mean right by (or on) the beach...but just 2 to 5 miles from it, for sure...

Old 08-07-2011, 04:16 PM

13 posts, read 35,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike10693 View Post
That sounds great but I can not afford $1500 a month haha. Looking for more in the $700-900 range. Appreciate your thoughts though.
I was just saying that something that valuable is that inexpensive. There's definitely stuff within your range if you don't want a condo on the beach. Haha.

Look up "Island Shores Apartments", that should be $700-$800. Trust me, man. Great city to live if you can afford higher than $500/month rent.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:32 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,654,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike10693 View Post
Being from Maine, people have said I just go to Boston but Boston is so much more expensive with apartments than even South Florida. Plus I hate winter and have always wanted to live in South Florida

Mike I am from Maine and used to live on PB Island-take it from me and move to Fla. It is the total opposite from Maine and the diversity will do you good. Actually there are lots of Mainers in PBC and employers like to hire Mainers because we are hard working and used to crappy jobs with crappy pay.
Take a drive over to Singer Island and there are lots of funky little 50s type motels and efficiencies to get you started.They are cool little places and you will be at the beach-just not 10 steps from the water. Many rent by the week-check it out.
Good Luck,Deah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach