Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live, work and play, given the below criteria?
Atlanta metro 25 55.56%
Miami metro (incl. Fort Lauderdale and Palm Beach) 20 44.44%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 08:21 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,980 times

Advertisements

Why are people acting as if Atlanta is cheaper... and that’s the only advantage? Lol

This isn’t 20 years ago. Miami has the beach with exotic nightlife, but some of the sexiest and most recognizable brands in the world are relocating here... Porsche, Benz, a large film industry — hollywood etc. Worldly Entertainment is at an all time high for Atlanta.

It’s probably not competing with Miami face to face on entertainment, but the gap is quickly closing imo.

When you add a better and more diverse job market to that, I don’t see why we wouldn’t expect to easily edge out Miami?

Save for the beach, you get the same offerings with more room to grow financially. Most young ambitious folks will choose the A.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:29 PM

626 posts, read 463,349 times
Nightlife - Miami metro
Restaurants - Miami metro
Art galleries and art events - Miami metro
Music events - Miami metro
Urbanization - Miami metro
Beautiful people - Miami metro
Taxes - Miami metro
Crime - Tie
Diversity - Miami metro
Landscaping - Miami metro
Shopping - Miami metro
Weather - Miami metro
Wealth - Miami metro
Diversity of buildings etc - Miami metro
Higher education - Atlanta metro
Sports cars, yachts and other eye candy - Miami metro
Amount of different dense nodes - Miami metro
Fashion - Miami metro
Vibe and culture - Miami metro
Healthcare - Tie
Natural beauty - Miami metro
Skylines - Miami metro
Roads and street grid - Miami metro
Uniqueness of the metro area - Miami metro
Wildlife - Miami metro
Number of major airports and ports - Miami metro
Outdoor Recreation - Miami metro
Sports teams etc- Miami metro
Cost of living - Atlanta metro
Things to do around the metro area - Miami metro
Tourism - Miami metro
Lifestyle - Miami metro
International and national recognition - Miami metro
Traffic - Tie

Last edited by popka; 03-11-2021 at 08:51 PM..

Old 03-11-2021, 08:31 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
A major reason why the GDP and income numbers for Florida are lower is because retirees drag the numbers down a lot. Plus most of their benefits and bank accounts aren't even factored into any widely used statistic at all.
Georgia also attract better jobs and have a friendlier business environment.

I think the low-paying tourist jobs hurt Florida more than anything.

Old 03-11-2021, 09:36 PM

10,055 posts, read 14,425,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
What’s “everything else”?
mountains, hiking, lakes, 4 seasons, proximity to north GA mountains, other cities like Chattanooga, Asheville, Nashville, etc.

Miami is fun, and there's tons to do. But it's a seasonal flavor, imo. I couldn't live down there year-round. But many folks love it, and thrive. Not for me.

Old 03-11-2021, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post

I think the low-paying tourist jobs hurt Florida more than anything.

Check out this video to see what those "low paying tourist jobs" have created in Miami. Do you have any idea how many years it's gonna be before the U.S. has anything remotely close to this scale built again? I'll send you another video in 5 years.

https://youtu.be/9pRgVvBJed8

Old 03-11-2021, 09:48 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
Check out this video to see what those "low paying tourist jobs" have created in Miami. Do you have any idea how many years it's gonna be before the U.S. has anything remotely close to this scale built again? I'll send you another video in 5 years.

https://youtu.be/9pRgVvBJed8
Regarding major cities, Miami (metro) has one of the lowest GDP per capita in the United States. I don't need a video to highlight the fact that jobs in tourism fuels low wages.

Old 03-11-2021, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Regarding major cities, Miami (metro) has one of the lowest GDP per capita in the United States. I don't need a video to highlight the fact that jobs in tourism fuels low wages.

The Miami metro has $48,000 GDP per capita and the GDP powerhouse Atlanta metro has $56,000. I've explained twice earlier in this thread about how the retirees wealth and other major hidden wealth aren't even factored in, yet the population is still factored into the numbers. The Miami metro probably has much more of that kind of wealth per capita than almost every single other metro area in the entire U.S. You act like it's an area like Honolulu or Vegas or something. The wealth in the Miami metro is crazy stacked.

Plus considering the whole metro area is super dense and already completely built out and sandwiched in between the beautiful Atlantic and the Everglades protected areas I'm pretty sure that per capita number can only go up quickly. The numbers are probably closer than you thought huh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...GDP_per_capita

This was from 2019. I can only imagine now.

Last edited by popka; 03-11-2021 at 11:42 PM..

Old 03-12-2021, 02:02 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,664,637 times
So many aspects of this have been done over and over even within this thread, so I'm not gonna do my own comparison here. However, I will comment on how interesting it is to me that West Palm Beach the larger, directional) is overshadowed, etc. by the Palm Beach name. Not sure how many similar instances there are, of a city of 8K having much more notoriety, etc. than the neighboring city which has 110K and is the actual county seat/center of influence, business activity, etc. I've just always found that interesting, though understandable as many lump in as one in the same, or aren't aware that Palm Beach and West Palm are in fact, separate cities.

Old 03-12-2021, 03:37 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,311,783 times
Miami is one of the most unique metros in the nation with its coastal and international gateway geography and cultural influences that Atlanta can never match.

I started a poll similar to this one about two months ago and it was taken down because I was told there was already past threads comparing the two? So odd how this new thread is allowed.

Atlanta has a bit more diverse of an economy though so from a job front, you will probably make out better there.

But between the two Miami is more influential IMO and offers more.

Miami though is kind of its own thing in the US and in my mind only San Diego can compare in the US, as a large coastal city by the south border. Although both are very different.

I feel like a Houston or Dallas comparison with Atlanta would be a more interesting comparison.

Old 03-12-2021, 05:20 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
Probably because Miami has a higher COL. Miami also attracts more extreme wealth (domestic and abroad) than Atlanta—be it real estate, yachts, more exclusive shopping retailers, prominent restauranteurs, prestigious annual events, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Why are people acting as if Atlanta is cheaper... and that’s the only advantage? Lol

This isn’t 20 years ago. Miami has the beach with exotic nightlife, but some of the sexiest and most recognizable brands in the world are relocating here... Porsche, Benz, a large film industry — hollywood etc. Worldly Entertainment is at an all time high for Atlanta.

It’s probably not competing with Miami face to face on entertainment, but the gap is quickly closing imo.

When you add a better and more diverse job market to that, I don’t see why we wouldn’t expect to easily edge out Miami?

Save for the beach, you get the same offerings with more room to grow financially. Most young ambitious folks will choose the A.

Last edited by elchevere; 03-12-2021 at 06:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City