Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live, work and play, given the below criteria?
Atlanta metro 25 55.56%
Miami metro (incl. Fort Lauderdale and Palm Beach) 20 44.44%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 09:05 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,279,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Because, according to Apartmentlist, the median 1 bedroom apartment in Atlanta lists for $1,200 a month, and in Miami, the same would be $1,900 a month. Huge difference.

In terms of federal tax liability, Miami comes in at $32b with Atlanta at $26b.
You all keep taking this as a half a statement.

Apartments are cheaper in Atlanta, less space in Miami. The coastal portion of Miami probably drives this cost up super high.

But my point is that Atlanta isn’t only cheaper, it’s more money floating around in a more diverse economic setting in conjunction with that fact. Like I said, some of the most well-known brands are relocating here.. and we are absorbing Hollywood.

This isn’t Miami vs Raleigh, the entertainment gap doesn’t justify the price differentials. Really, as far as nightlife, Atlanta can go blow for blow with Miami of you subtract the beach.

The only thing Miami has over Atlanta in my eyes is a few more high end shopping options and restaraunts frequented by the small ultra-rich community there. But Atlanta is the more important and well-rounded metro.

Old 03-12-2021, 09:14 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,563,075 times
If only the small ultra rich support Miami, how many times a week do they dine at Carbone—which has a 3 month wait list...4, 5x / week or maybe there’s more people who support the amenities here than you give credit to?

BTW, we’re getting a Tao here also which means Miami will have the top 2 grossing independent, non-chain owned restaurants in the nation (Joe’s Stone Crab overtook Tao prior to Covid).

https://www.bizjournals.com/southflo...dependent.html

Where did Salt Bae decide to open his first Nusr-et Steakhouse empire in the US? NYC? Chicago? Atlanta?...no—Miami....think his restaurants are all sizzle / no steak and would never make it in a true steak city?...his new Dallas restaurant has a 6 month wait for a reservation after 4:45PM. Certainly no shortage of good steakhouses in Big D.

https://thetakeout.com/salt-bae-open...1846438405/amp

Someone earlier mentioned luxury brand Porsche and Mercedes HQ offices in Atlanta; Miami has multimillion dollar and up condos built or under construction from Porsche, Aston Martin and Baccarat bearing their brand names...are the same few ultra rich going to buy 50-60 units apiece in these buildings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post

Apartments are cheaper in Atlanta, less space in Miami. The coastal portion of Miami probably drives this cost up super high.

But my point is that Atlanta isn’t only cheaper, it’s more money floating around in a more diverse economic setting in conjunction with that fact. Like I said, some of the most well-known brands are relocating here.. and we are absorbing Hollywood.

This isn’t Miami vs Raleigh, the entertainment gap doesn’t justify the price differentials. Really, as far as nightlife, Atlanta can go blow for blow with Miami of you subtract the beach.

The only thing Miami has over Atlanta in my eyes is a few more high end shopping options and restaraunts frequented by the small ultra-rich community there. But Atlanta is the more important and well-rounded metro.

Last edited by elchevere; 03-12-2021 at 10:18 AM..

Old 03-12-2021, 09:19 AM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:

First off, Atlanta is not absorbing Hollywood - lol. Georgia is literally sacrificing itself while begging for a slice of the Hollywood pie. Hollywood is essentially taking advantage of a short term offering; when it dries up, Hollywood will peace out. This is nothing new. “ The program may be hard to dislodge, regardless of whether it works economically. No one wants to be the lawmaker who kicked the Avengers to the curb. But Georgians shouldn’t fool themselves: All these films and TV shows aren’t made here because Georgia is the state with the best actors or the most scenic backgrounds. It’s because Georgia is the highest bidder when it comes to tax credits. The fact that other states are not going out of their way to match Georgia’s tax credit is a red flag. Getting a clearer sense of the program’s true economic impact will allow Georgians to measure its financial success more clearly” https://www.palisadeshudson.com/2020...ol-to-be-cool/

I see a lot of “but what if Miami were landlocked” - well, it’s not. And that’s part of the major appeal, that’s brought major hedge funds and financial firms to the area. It’s the closest thing to paradise - that, and maybe LA.

You’re forgetting that Miami metro has nightlife all over - not just Miami. You have South Beach, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm, Delray Beach, Wilton Manors, etc.

Old 03-12-2021, 10:05 AM

626 posts, read 464,899 times
Quote:

I see a lot of “but what if Miami were landlocked” - well, it’s not. And that’s part of the major appeal, that’s brought major hedge funds and financial firms to the area. It’s the closest thing to paradise - that, and maybe LA.

I think many people are now starting to realize that the Miami metro is only one of a couple and by far the largest tropical urban beach environment in the entire first world. Where else is there? Singapore? Honolulu? It's an incredibly rare and unique place and the Alpha city of the 3rd most populous state in the greatest country the world has ever seen. The brand image of the U.S. would definitely get much less vibrant if Miami did not exist in its present form.

Check out these international tourism numbers from the government. For some reason they split up the Miami metro into it's 3 counties but didn't split up the Atlanta metro at all. If it says MSA behind the city names they didn't split the metro area up. Miami-Dade County by itself ranks 2nd in the entire U.S. behind NYC. Even just Broward County alone had more international tourists than the entire Atlanta metro. Palm Beach County also ranks pretty good at 25th. These numbers favor the Miami metro so much that it's actually pretty remarkable. There's a good reason why so many people from NYC and from around the world flock to the Miami metro. The extra wealth these people bring to the area is insane.

https://travel.trade.gov/outreachpag...ed%202019.xlsx

Last edited by popka; 03-12-2021 at 11:11 AM..

Old 03-12-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Because, according to Apartmentlist, the median 1 bedroom apartment in Atlanta lists for $1,200 a month, and in Miami, the same would be $1,900 a month. Huge difference.

In terms of federal tax liability, Miami comes in at $32b with Atlanta at $26b.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
If only the small ultra rich support Miami, how many times a week do they dine at Carbone—which has a 3 month wait list...4, 5x / week or maybe there’s more people who support the amenities here than you give credit to?

BTW, we’re getting a Tao here also which means Miami will have the top 2 grossing independent, non-chain owned restaurants in the nation (Joe’s Stone Crab overtook Tao prior to Covid).

https://www.bizjournals.com/southflo...dependent.html

Where did Salt Bae decide to open his first Nusr-et Steakhouse empire in the US? NYC? Chicago? Atlanta?...no—Miami....think his restaurants are all sizzle / no steak and would never make it in a true steak city?...his new Dallas restaurant has a 6 month wait for a reservation after 4:45PM. Certainly no shortage of good steakhouses in Big D.

https://thetakeout.com/salt-bae-open...1846438405/amp
There are 6 millon people in these metro areas, so like 30k ppl would be a very small segment of that population.

Carbone is only open 4 hours and 30 min today per Yelp, so makes sense that there is a little back up. Especially if people plan a vacation there, with Miami and only handful of other cities doing dine - in with covid restrictions. You conveniently left that part out

And no one saying, only ultra rich keep Miami running, but those few exclusives restaraunts it has over Atlanta isn’t just a function of having a few of these people.. and well to do tourists.

Old 03-12-2021, 10:21 AM

And you conveniently left out how 150 NYC restaurants are currently scouting sites to open new restaurants here....are they chasing dishwashers and Uber drivers business or people with money?....and tourism numbers drop off after April, which is only 1+month, not 3, out.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...trictions.html

Quote:
There are 6 millon people in these metro areas, so like 30k ppl would be a very small segment of that population.

Carbone is only open 4 hours and 30 min today per Yelp, so makes sense that there is a little back up. Especially if people plan a vacation there, with Miami and only handful of other cities doing dine - in with covid restrictions. You conveniently left that part out

And no one saying, only ultra rich keep Miami running, but those few exclusives restaraunts it has over Atlanta isn’t just a function of having a few of these people.. and well to do tourists.

Last edited by elchevere; 03-12-2021 at 10:35 AM..

Old 03-12-2021, 10:31 AM

Quote:
And you conveniently left out how 150 NYC restaurants are currently scouting sites to open new restaurants here....are they chasing dishwashers and Uber drivers business or people with money?....and tourism numbers drop off after April, which is only 1 month, not 3, out.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...trictions.html

1. Lots of Uber drivers are grossing close to 2k a week on average in major metros, so not exactly dishwashers lol. They can afford 40 dollar ravioli at Carbone

2. We are in unprecedented times. Id wager that many wealthy New Yorkers who work remotely have set up shop in Miami to enjoy the weather and follow some of these relocations.

No one is saying that Miami doesn’t attract a particular kindve wealthy tourist or snow(covid) bird, but the average long term resident in Atlanta is just more well-off.

Old 03-12-2021, 10:41 AM

I would love to see stats showing Uber drivers earning $100K year.

https://www.stilt.com/blog/2020/02/h..._Actually_Make

No doubt NYC restaurants are relocating due to Covid, but they have chosen Miami and it will be quite costly for them to do so for a part time (6 month /1 year) basis. Most are moving here permanently—I’m sure they have studied the demographics before making such a pivotal financial decision.

Quote:
1. Lots of Uber drivers are grossing close to 2k a week on average in major metros, so not exactly dishwashers lol. They can afford 40 dollar ravioli at Carbone

2. We are in unprecedented times. Id wager that many wealthy New Yorkers who work remotely have set up shop in Miami to enjoy the weather and follow some of these relocations.

No one is saying that Miami doesn’t attract a particular kindve wealthy tourist or snow(covid) bird, but the average long term resident in Atlanta is just more well-off.

Old 03-12-2021, 10:52 AM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:

1 is patently false (Average Uber Driver yearly pay in the United States is approximately $31,596, which is 34% below the national average.) - from Indeed.

And your last comment is iffy at best. Do you have a source for that? Atlanta isn’t well known for being a bastion of wealth (not even close). Miami is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 03-12-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I would love to see stats showing Uber drivers earning $100K year.

No doubt NYC restaurants are relocating due to Covid, but they have chosen Miami and it will be quite costly for them to do so for a part time (6 month /1 year) basis. Most are moving here permanently—I’m sure they have studied the demographics before making such a pivotal financial decision.
Full time drivers here (50-60 hrs) make between 1500-2k consistently. Some made close to 3 this past all star week. I do it part time for extra cash and in various groups on FB. I’m sure Miami is the same.

And as far the restaraunt scene, I wish it well. It still doesn’t take away from the fact that the ultra-wealthy support. You honestly can make 75k and enjoy these places from time to time.

I think the culture in Miami is more worldly, because as African American, I can tell you Carbone wouldn’t thrive much here in Atlanta... not because no one can afford 40-60 dollar entrees, but because of local tastes. Dallas is solidly ahead of both of our cities economically, but Miami has higher tiered for these kindve restaraunts.

It’s not as wealth-related as we think, it’s moreso culture imo
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City