Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 11:08 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,721,547 times

Advertisements

Please compare Little Rock, Arkansas and Louisville, Kentucky on the following metrics:
  • Cleanliness and tidiness (graffiti, litter, lawn maintenance, etc.)
  • Climate-related hazards
  • Housing options (attractive housing styles, spacious lots, basement availability, etc.)
  • Roadway infrastructure (smoother, wider, better-lit roads)
  • Scenery
  • Workplace culture (agreeableness, cooperation, efficiency, etc.)
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2021, 12:28 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,314,343 times
I prefer Louisville.

Can you add a poll to this thread?

Old 03-20-2021, 04:42 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,395,075 times
Cleanliness and tidiness (graffiti, litter, lawn maintenance, etc.) - Little Rock
Climate-related hazards - Louisville
Housing options (attractive housing styles, spacious lots, basement availability, etc.) - Louisville
Roadway infrastructure (smoother, wider, better-lit roads) - Louisville
Scenery - Little Rock
Workplace culture (agreeableness, cooperation, efficiency, etc.) - Not sure

Louisville edges out Little Rock for me.

Old 03-20-2021, 04:57 PM

730 posts, read 815,463 times
  • Cleanliness and tidiness (graffiti, litter, lawn maintenance, etc.) Little Rock
  • Climate-related hazards Louisville
  • Housing options (attractive housing styles, spacious lots, basement availability, etc.) Louisville
  • Roadway infrastructure (smoother, wider, better-lit roads) Little Rock. The freeway network through Little Rock is like a dream with zero traffic even during rush hour.
  • Scenery Little Rock
  • Workplace culture (agreeableness, cooperation, efficiency, etc.) Little Rock. Hard to beat the friendliness of Arkansans.

Little Rock is a wonderful little city in a beautiful setting. I'm not sure how fair it is to compare it to a city twice its size, but it does stack up rather well. I would choose it over Louisville.

Old 03-20-2021, 06:46 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,757,073 times
Little Rock seems to be a bit cleaner. Louisville has some weird graffiti on the back of overhead highway signs. Not even sure how they get up there. Overall not the most attractive place but I've seen a lot worse.
Little Rock has much better traffic and less erratic driving habits.
LR roads are also slightly better, but Arkansas isn't known for great roads or infrastructure so that's not really saying much. Kentucky can be awful with some epic potholes.
Friendliness might be about the same. Lived in Little Rock for a few years. It's okay, but doesn't stand out in that way.
Scenery goes to Little Rock.
Housing, probably Louisville.
Climate: neither are places I'd choose for that. Louisville might be a little more tolerable in the summer.

I'd choose Little Rock overall. Interesting comparison.

Old 03-21-2021, 03:37 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Little Rock seems to be a bit cleaner. Louisville has some weird graffiti on the back of overhead highway signs. Not even sure how they get up there. Overall not the most attractive place but I've seen a lot worse.
Little Rock has much better traffic and less erratic driving habits.
LR roads are also slightly better, but Arkansas isn't known for great roads or infrastructure so that's not really saying much. Kentucky can be awful with some epic potholes.
Friendliness might be about the same. Lived in Little Rock for a few years. It's okay, but doesn't stand out in that way.
Scenery goes to Little Rock.
Housing, probably Louisville.
Climate: neither are places I'd choose for that. Louisville might be a little more tolerable in the summer.

I'd choose Little Rock overall. Interesting comparison.
I live in southern Indiana near Louisville, and our climate is in no way similar to Little Rock at all. There have been a total of four days over 90F in 2 years. Housing is a much better value as salaries are much higher compared to Arkansas with the exception of NW Arkansas.

Old 03-21-2021, 04:00 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,063,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I live in southern Indiana near Louisville, and our climate is in no way similar to Little Rock at all. There have been a total of four days over 90F in 2 years. Housing is a much better value as salaries are much higher compared to Arkansas with the exception of NW Arkansas.
So I'm not sure where in Indiana you are, but I can tell you we've had FAR more days over 90 than that here in Louisville. By July 21st last year we had hit 23 days with 90+ degree heat. That doesn't account for the days that come in at 87-89 degrees either. I don't want to contradict your comments but Louisville itself has more similar summers to Little Rock than not in my experience.

https://www.whas11.com/article/weath...above%20normal.

Old 03-21-2021, 04:28 PM

5,825 posts, read 5,630,594 times
People think Little Rock is clean? Thats news to me...

Gimme Louisville, its twice as large with at least twice as much energy and **** going on...

Old 03-21-2021, 04:43 PM

3,162 posts, read 2,211,422 times
Louisville has more of an industrial history than Little Rock does, so there is more of a "gritty" appearance in parts of the former area. But the east side of Louisville tends to have a tidier, more modern character. Western Little Rock is very hilly and picturesque with some of the most affluent neighborhoods in the state.

Maybe there is a unique micro-climate somewhere in southern Indiana, but most of the Louisville area gets to 90 degrees on a frequent basis in the summer, with plenty of humidity. Little Rock is a few degrees hotter on average and the summers last a bit longer, but the difference is not that consequential. I think the tornado risk is a little higher in Arkansas.

90 degree days at Louisville's airport in 2020:

May - 2
June - 6
July - 23
August - 5
September - 2

Total - 38

https://w2.weather.gov/climate/index.php?wfo=lmk

Old 03-21-2021, 07:09 PM

811 posts, read 888,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
People think Little Rock is clean? Thats news to me...

Gimme Louisville, its twice as large with at least twice as much energy and **** going on...
Right?! I used to travel to Little Rock monthly before Covid and Little Rock is in no way a clean city. I don’t like to say bad things about cities, but Little Rock is one place with few redeeming qualities.

I also lived in Louisville. I would pick Louisville over Little Rock every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City