Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Give Me
A City With LOTS of HILLS and MOUNTAINS No Water No Beach 49 42.61%
A City With LOTS of WATER RIVER LAKE BEACH No Hill/Mountains 63 54.78%
undecided 3 2.61%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2022, 06:12 AM

7,416 posts, read 6,579,347 times

Advertisements

I need water. I’ve been surrounded by it most of my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2022, 12:22 PM

34 posts, read 22,598 times
Definitely water. Give me Miami or Chicago over Denver and Phoenix anyday. Ideally both would be the best (SF, Seattle) but if I had to pick, defintely water. Mountains are nice to look at but i'm not a rock climber or some outdoor enthusiast extremist. Give me a nice day on the beach.

Old 04-30-2022, 08:22 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,671,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
Out of curiosity, are there any major cities that have neither mountains nor water?

Midland, TX?
I don't know. Is the lake near downtown Midland big enough to count as water?

I think Oklahoma City's Hefner Lake is big enough to count for water:
http://okie.world/okc.jpg

Old 04-30-2022, 11:06 PM

4,506 posts, read 4,631,867 times
Austin, Texas is one of the hilliest big cities in the country between the Rocky and Appalachian Mountains. There's also Lady Bird Lake on the southern border of Downtown Austin that has at least a 10 mile hike and bike trail around the lake, and possibly more than 10 miles. Technically a reservoir, Lady Bird Lake is one of 6 lakes/reservoirs of the Colorado River that stretches maybe 60, 70, 80 miles into the Texas Hill Country, officially known as the Texas Highland Lakes. If you like water sports and recreation, those lakes are good places to be.

Old 05-01-2022, 01:51 PM

402 posts, read 275,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianMabowski View Post
Definitely water. Give me Miami or Chicago over Denver and Phoenix anyday. Ideally both would be the best (SF, Seattle) but if I had to pick, defintely water. Mountains are nice to look at but i'm not a rock climber or some outdoor enthusiast extremist. Give me a nice day on the beach.
I totally agree. Both = best but if I had to pick, defo water! I don't even care if it's ocean/sea, a large lake like in Chicago or a big river like the Mississippi does it for me. Extra points if there are actual parks/beaches fronting the river and not just industry or higways along it.

It's funny that places known to not have enough water like Atlanta, GA or Midland, TX use what little water they've got in many of their photos online. Just google Midland, TX. Even on their wiki page the first photo is of course showing water:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midland,_Texas

One has to ask if water isn't that important why even water-poor cities and towns strive to show off what little water they have like little ponds or fountains...

Seems like water, more than hills even, is like having a hot person in your ads. It sells a place like nothing else can. Don't believe me? Here's a screen cap of the images that come up on Google about Midland, TX :

Old 05-01-2022, 02:17 PM

104 posts, read 47,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I could see this in 3 categories actually.

1. A city directly located next to large mountains or an ocean/large body of water.
2. A city located directly next to large mountains or an ocean/large body of water but with the other amenity within a 5ish hour drive.
3. A city located directly next to large mountains or an ocean/large body of water but the other amenity is not within a 5 hour drive.

I think most will agree 1 and 2 are more desirable than 3, however the quality of the mountains or water in 3 could outweigh lower quality mountains/water in a city falling into categories 1 or 2. Denver or Salt Lake for example.

My city, Phoenix, is set within a nice set of mountains and has some decent sized lakes/rivers as well. But for a major body of water you're driving 3.5 hours. I put us in category 2.
4th category with neither large mountains or large body of water? Something like Odessa/Midland?

Old 05-01-2022, 02:43 PM

8,883 posts, read 6,904,440 times
It would suck to be without either. Luckily we have the West Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City