Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Eastern vs Western USA... Which side wins?
East of Mississippi 39 52.00%
West of Mississippi 36 48.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 02:48 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,424,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Stunning? Meh. Florida easily wins if we are talking beaches.
Is it stunning though? Are there big cliffs, bluffs, surfs and mountain range backdrops? Florida has nice beaches don't get me wrong, but the only time I felt like I was in awe while on beaches was traveling along Highway 1 from Oregon to San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2021, 07:17 AM

5,362 posts, read 5,139,050 times
Well if you're using the Mississippi as the line, west wins. There's enough east US nature and vibe from Minnesota to Louisiana so that that side really has it all. If you divide at say Oklahoma City, it's a little more of a tossup, but the center of the country adds a lot.

Old 03-26-2021, 08:40 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,557,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Is it stunning though? Are there big cliffs, bluffs, surfs and mountain range backdrops? Florida has nice beaches don't get me wrong, but the only time I felt like I was in awe while on beaches was traveling along Highway 1 from Oregon to San Diego.
Exactly. The west coast has a breathtaking coastline that is a feast for the eyes and senses. Sure, I'll give FL the nod for beaches overall(unless we include Hawaii), but as far as 'stunning' beaches go, the west coast is really set apart.

Old 03-26-2021, 08:48 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,026,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Even though you heavily boost the PNW. Agree with you here a lot.

FL beaches.. are beaches.

Old 03-26-2021, 11:00 AM

9,902 posts, read 6,607,441 times
Only to Americans does the sand and water not offer importance... Because contiguous USA outside of Florida has subpar water.

Old 03-26-2021, 11:24 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,762,417 times
Natural beauty: West. More varied. More dramatic. Sometimes exotic and otherworldly.

Culture: Close with a slant to the west. There are things I like about both. The east is more historic and settled, so it can be more interesting.
As something of a nomad, the west feels more comfortable to move around in without feeling like an impostor.

Cities: Again with the historic and settled. But honestly, about the only cities I really like in the east are Chicago and Milwaukee. Detroit maybe in a different era. There are others that are great, especially in New England but I wouldn't live in them. Small, out of the way towns... maybe.
The intermountain west has some cities that are cool. The west coast could be good again if they tried a little harder.
Kansas City and the Twin Cities are... well, one is west of the Mississippi, and the river runs through the other. Anyway, I like those. The northern plains have a lot of nice cities and towns as well.

Overall the west by a comfortable margin.

Old 03-26-2021, 11:26 AM

162 posts, read 155,485 times
Natural beauty - West. This one isn't even fair. Of course the East has some great scenery, but c'mon the West has some of the best scenery in the whole world. The Pacific coast is one the most breathtaking places you could ever be. I love the diversity of the Green forests in the north, and the more arid and tropical coastlines in the south. Of course there are the mountain backdrops to the coast for most of the stretch as well. And while we're talking mountains, there are the Cascades, the Sierra Nevadas, and of course the Rockies, which are all stunning. There are the deserts which are cool, and some of the mesas and scenery of New Mexico and Utah are pretty unique for the Earth. And to the people saying Florida beaches are the best, I agree the beaches there are great and I appreciate the warm water. But seriously - look at some pictures of the California and Oregon coasts and then tell me with a straight face that Florida beaches have more natural beauty.

Culture - West. I like the forward thinking, individualistic, live-and-let-live, pioneering type mentality of the West. The East seems more traditional.

Nicer cities - West. Yeah the East has some amazing cities, but not many cities of the West are slouches. I think all the cities on the West Coast are pretty great, though few - Seattle and San Francisco are a couple of my favorites in the country, and then LA, Portland, San Diego are all great as well. And I appreciate that in the West you can be in a great city, but once you leave you will be in a stunning, sparsely populated natural setting. You could be in downtown San Francisco and in less than an hour be in the Redwood Forests. Nothing in the East can compare with that.

Old 03-26-2021, 11:44 AM

1,376 posts, read 929,766 times
East, hard to compete against Chicago, NYC, Boston, Philly, Washington DC, Miami, Atlanta. The only thing I would give the edge to for the West is the scenery for Mountains.

Old 03-26-2021, 11:46 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times
West is best

Old 03-26-2021, 11:55 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,424,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
East, hard to compete against Chicago, NYC, Boston, Philly, Washington DC, Miami, Atlanta. The only thing I would give the edge to for the West is the scenery for Mountains.
Does Philly add that much more to NYC? Does even Chicago? The East Coast is way denser but there’s a lot of repetition too. The incredible variety in the West is refreshing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City