Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dream address — Newport Beach (OC) or Manhattan Beach (LA)
Newport Beach (OC) I'm liberal 9 21.43%
Newport Beach (OC) I'm conservative 11 26.19%
Manhattan Beach (LA) I'm liberal 19 45.24%
Manhattan Beach (LA) I'm conservative 3 7.14%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 04:14 PM

7,440 posts, read 6,604,171 times

Advertisements

The average home might be 4x more expensive in MB than South Beach, but I counted 19 properties for sale at $10M+ in SoBe (with a high of $40M, with 2 others not far behind—all condos) vs 5 such homes in MB (with a high of $20M)—most of the “elite” homes of SoBe are situated at South Pointe in the South of Fifth area which is more elite and also is home to athletes, celebrities, business owners (though there are other areas of the beach/islands, even more exclusive, I would rather live).

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...000000-na/pg-2

https://www.redfin.com/city/11576/CA...xoCV6gQAvD_BwE

Manhattan Beach is very nice, though slightly removed from more popular and even more elite, including beach, areas of LA...little odd to have picked this area (though I liked it when I was younger) over some other, more exclusive LA neighborhoods.

When I lived in the MSA, OC people—especially Newport types—wanted nothing to do with LA and many Angelenos felt the same about OC. I lived for a brief period in Newport Beach and could never live there again—by far the snobbiest/snootiest place I have been anywhere in this country. (I also tend to agree with you for the most part about Huntington Beach, though Huntington Harbour is quite nice)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I’m not sure how you define “elite”, but Manhattan Beach is much more expensive than South Beach (about 4 times as much) and Huntington Beach isn’t elite anywhere. But I don’t know that makes it “elite”. Lots of sports people live there along with lots of lawyers, doctors, business owners and other high paid professionals. But it’s mostly normal looking. Houses that look like they should be $760,000 are $2 million. Large homes on single lots are 2-3 times that. Beach houses on small lots with no yard are over $10 million.

Last edited by elchevere; 03-27-2021 at 05:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2021, 05:22 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,982,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Manhattan Beach is more or less "in LA", and it's a really great, upscale town with terrific schools, like the best climate in LA imo, and right next to LAX, what's not to like?
Yeah, I'm not sure why this isn't in the LA or California forum, but I'd go with Manhattan Beach. Newport is great to. I used to have a friend that rented a house on the peninsula, and I had a lot of fun putting around the bay on their boat.

Manhattan Beach is just much more conveniently located, and I like downtown Manhattan Beach betterthan the commercial areas in Newport Beach.

As for the poster who mentioned Huntington Beach, it is not even close to the same level. It is not necessarily a bad town, but it is the lowest class of all the beach cities in Socal, except Long Beach and Seal Beach.

As for the OP, I didn't answer the poll, because I am a moderate and there weren't options for moderates. Kinda a big oversight, and I doubt politics would be a major issue with the neighbors in either of these areas.

Old 03-27-2021, 06:13 PM

36,677 posts, read 67,662,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure why this isn't in the LA or California forum, but I'd go with Manhattan Beach. Newport is great to. I used to have a friend that rented a house on the peninsula, and I had a lot of fun putting around the bay on their boat.

Manhattan Beach is just much more conveniently located, and I like downtown Manhattan Beach betterthan the commercial areas in Newport Beach.

As for the poster who mentioned Huntington Beach, it is not even close to the same level. It is not necessarily a bad town, but it is the lowest class of all the beach cities in Socal, except Long Beach and Seal Beach.

As for the OP, I didn't answer the poll, because I am a moderate and there weren't options for moderates. Kinda a big oversight, and I doubt politics would be a major issue with the neighbors in either of these areas.
Yeah one thing I appreciate about Manhattan Beach imo is I perceive it to be more chill than Newport Beach when it comes to political activism.

Old 03-27-2021, 06:42 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,930,593 times
Manhattan Beach by a long shot, way cooler, interesting and less snooty than anyplace in the OC, particularly Newport Beach that and it is a part of a great, vast city to explore. I have a good friend who grew up in a fantastic Mid-Century Modern “mansion” (as much as you can build on those tiny lots) on the very tip of Lido Isle and we did have some wild parties there and on the party boat from the dock - enough to have the cops called haha - but anything off the Isle is just bland upscale SoCa as you could get.

Old 03-27-2021, 06:49 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,428,024 times
Manhattan beach and im a extremely conservative Republican.

Last edited by C24L; 03-27-2021 at 07:05 PM..

Old 03-27-2021, 08:22 PM

3,250 posts, read 6,320,201 times
Manhattan Beach is too way crowded for me. Just did a search for homes there. There were only 5 homes with a lot size of over 6,500 square ft. and zero with at least a quarter acre. Definitely not my dream location.

My ideal dream location will have enough space that I do not have to hear any noise from neighbors. In LA County I would look for a home in the Palos Verdes area with at least an acre lot.

Old 03-27-2021, 11:53 PM

21,665 posts, read 31,313,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I’m not sure how you define “elite”, but Manhattan Beach is much more expensive than South Beach (about 4 times as much)
The median list price per square foot in Manhattan Beach is ~$1,000, while it’s $514 in South Beach. Not at all four times as much.

Old 03-28-2021, 06:33 AM

58 posts, read 38,817 times
Thanks so much everyone. I'm not sure how Miami entered the conversation, this is about SoCal. I know that Laguna Beach is better than Newport Beach at certain things but Laguna Beach is on a smaller scale than Newport Beach, and as I said I want more amenities. The poll is very interesting to me, half of Newport Beach votes are liberal and the other half are conservative. Can you get large houses in Manhattan Beach? Is there a middle-ground between Manhattan Beach and Newport Beach, it's probably Laguna Beach right?

Old 03-29-2021, 11:26 AM

Can you get mansions in Manhattan Beach?

Old 03-30-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenCA View Post
Can you get mansions in Manhattan Beach?
Mansions like this:
https://www.youtube.com/c/EnesYilmazer/videos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City