Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What State is Most Comparable to South Carolina?
Alabama 42 33.33%
Florida 4 3.17%
Georgia 40 31.75%
North Carolina 22 17.46%
Louisiana 7 5.56%
Mississipi 10 7.94%
Virginia 1 0.79%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 04:36 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,561,362 times

Advertisements

When I'm in SC, I don't get AL vibes at all. I'd say more GA, NC, and maybe some TN.

GA overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2021, 10:21 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,219,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier de Saint-George View Post
When I'm in SC, I don't get AL vibes at all. I'd say more GA, NC, and maybe some TN.

GA overall.

I mean when you look at the stats SC and AL are nearly identical

Old 04-04-2021, 06:47 PM

3,162 posts, read 2,211,422 times
AL and SC have similar total populations, but SC has grown over three times as fast since 2010. Also SC's land area is considerably smaller than AL's, so its population density is higher and the rural areas (as a whole) tend to be less isolated. And even with a smaller area, SC ends up with a longer coastline and higher mountains.

South Carolina really seems to be more aligned with others on the Atlantic Coast these days, although it is much smaller than its immediate neighbors. It's difficult to find a perfect match for the state.

Old 04-04-2021, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
I mean when you look at the stats SC and AL are nearly identical
I'm pretty big on historical things that shaped a states culture along with the contemporary. AL and SC may have similar numbers but I don't think the people are similar. What type of Low Country like cuisine can I get in AL and will I run into some Caribbean sounding folks on AL? Nah. That is what I'm getting at. There's not a Charleston in AL.

Old 04-04-2021, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
AL and SC have similar total populations, but SC has grown over three times as fast since 2010. Also SC's land area is considerably smaller than AL's, so its population density is higher and the rural areas (as a whole) tend to be less isolated. And even with a smaller area, SC ends up with a longer coastline and higher mountains.

South Carolina really seems to be more aligned with others on the Atlantic Coast these days, although it is much smaller than its immediate neighbors. It's difficult to find a perfect match for the state.

SC is much different than NC or Georgia, sure culturally they a little more similar to NC, but that's part of it (even though they are also a Southern state and culture isn't too much different in reality), this comparing state which means you are gonna be following the stat as well and stat wise they are identical. GDP, Economy diversity, Population, diversity, general typography (beaches-marshy inland/swamps-the hills-to the foothills of the Appalachians. Also Alabama has finally recovered from the recession and actually having an influx of inbound migration over the past 2 years. It hasn't quite caught up to SC but its getting there. So getting pretty close to check that box as well

Old 04-04-2021, 07:57 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty big on historical things that shaped a states culture along with the contemporary. AL and SC may have similar numbers but I don't think the people are similar. What type of Low Country like cuisine can I get in AL and will I run into some Caribbean sounding folks on AL? Nah. That is what I'm getting at. There's not a Charleston in AL.

Well Alabama's equivalent of Charleston is Mobile. Coastal cities will typically have more different micro-cultures than their inland counterparts. This is especially true for Mobile as the gulf area has a strong French and Spanish history being the last in the South to actually join the United States (when the Florida was acquired from the Spanish). The culture between Mobile and the rest of the state is much different. I've personally never had Lowcountry Cuisine but when I read about it, most of what I read is that it is comparable Cajun which is what Mobile is known for so I guess you can make a comparison there

Old 04-04-2021, 09:10 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Well Mobile isn't exactly a far cry from Charleston in quite a few respects. The city's Jewish population originates from Shephardic Jews in Charleston (and Savannah). The first slaves that arrived in Mobile came from the Caribbean (Saint-Domingue), as did Charleston's (Barbados). As far as Carribean characteristics, that can be found in Mobile's cuisine and culture (the first city in the New World to celebrate Mardi Gras). Mobile's French and Spanish heritage is obvious, and while Charleston has no real Spanish heritage to speak of, it does have some French influences, brought to the city by French Huguenots. It even has its own French Quarter neighood.

Mobile was also the final destination of the last known group of enslaved Africans that were brought to America in 1860, well after the trans-Atlantic slave trade was outlawed, and upon learning the story and history of Africatown, my mind immediately went to the Gullah people of the SC Lowcountry as they both have stronger and more identifiable African roots than most other descendants of enslaved Africans in America, and the physical condition of Africatown, unfortunately one of disinvestment and underdevelopment, is reminiscent of some the last isolated portions of the SC coast that were mainly populated by Gullah people before being sold and overtaken by suburban/luxury development a few decades ago.

Old 04-04-2021, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well Mobile isn't exactly a far cry from Charleston in quite a few respects. The city's Jewish population originates from Shephardic Jews in Charleston (and Savannah). The first slaves that arrived in Mobile came from the Caribbean (Saint-Domingue), as did Charleston's (Barbados). As far as Carribean characteristics, that can be found in Mobile's cuisine and culture (the first city in the New World to celebrate Mardi Gras). Mobile's French and Spanish heritage is obvious, and while Charleston has no real Spanish heritage to speak of, it does have some French influences, brought to the city by French Huguenots. It even has its own French Quarter neighood.

Mobile was also the final destination of the last known group of enslaved Africans that were brought to America in 1860, well after the trans-Atlantic slave trade was outlawed, and upon learning the story and history of Africatown, my mind immediately went to the Gullah people of the SC Lowcountry as they both have stronger and more identifiable African roots than most other descendants of enslaved Africans in America, and the physical condition of Africatown, unfortunately one of disinvestment and underdevelopment, is reminiscent of some the last isolated portions of the SC coast that were mainly populated by Gullah people before being sold and overtaken by suburban/luxury development a few decades ago.

Hmm nice, I learned something new today, never knew of the Gullah people until now, very interested. I think Africatown will probably start developing, especially as the city of Mobile has been doing a lot of cleaning up for the area and the discovery of Cotilda is gonna bring in tourism. I think it'll be difficult to truly change Africatown as its so isolated. It's surrounded by Industries to 3 sides and an interstates to its west, which really isn't good I suppose but I feel in this rare case I think it will benefit the community as the area can have its own distinction through isolation.

Side note over. That's very interesting and ties more to my opinion that Alabama is the most comparable to South Carolina and Visa Versa

Old 04-06-2021, 06:14 PM

5,003 posts, read 9,154,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

They spoke in their native African language until the 60's and 70's. My parents grew up in the Happy Hills community which was right outside of Africa Town. The Creoles of the city lived on Mon Louis Island and the Down the Bay community.Outside of the city they lived in Chestang.The Creoles were speaking French and practiced Catholicism. And what was considered cross town at the time the people of Africa Town were speaking there native language and also a little French as well( I assume colonization in Africa) and practiced Vodun which is seen in the Africa Town Cemetery and some practiced a varent of Catholicism also.

Also a few Creole dishes were recorded in Mobile at an earlier time.

I'm shocked you knew so much about Africa Town Mutiny.

Old 04-07-2021, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
Well Alabama's equivalent of Charleston is Mobile. Coastal cities will typically have more different micro-cultures than their inland counterparts. This is especially true for Mobile as the gulf area has a strong French and Spanish history being the last in the South to actually join the United States (when the Florida was acquired from the Spanish). The culture between Mobile and the rest of the state is much different. I've personally never had Lowcountry Cuisine but when I read about it, most of what I read is that it is comparable Cajun which is what Mobile is known for so I guess you can make a comparison there
Seems more similar to LA than anything but I see your angle even though I don't think it overtakes GA.

Mutiny, I'll have to look into that and see if anything really jumps out to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City