Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is most comparable to Michigan?
Illinois 13 17.57%
Indiana 1 1.35%
Minnesota 2 2.70%
Ohio 15 20.27%
Wisconsin 33 44.59%
New York (Upstate only) 5 6.76%
Cold Florida 0 0%
Other 5 6.76%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 07:57 AM

461 posts, read 351,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I voted Illinois (mainly because of Chicago - Detroit) but I can see the case for Wisconsin as well.
I don't think Chicago and Detroit share enough similarities for IL to be most similar to MI in this thread. As pointed out, Detroit is far less dominant in Michigan, than Chicago is in IL. That and IL has no answer for a Grand Rapids, Lansing, or even Flint in terms of similar sized out state metro's. Rural Michigan is hilly and more geared toward tourism especially toward the north and west. Rural IL is more flyover/drive through and flat.

IMO Michigan is most similar to Ohio. Several struggling outstate mid sized metro's that are closely tied to the auto industry, and I think Cleveland is a better comparison to Detroit than Chicago is. Ohio's state population growth can be almost entirely attributed to Columbus. If you take out Columbus population and economic growth numbers the rest of Ohio's numbers are VERY similar to Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2021, 01:20 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,722,865 times
In my opinion, Michigan is more similar to western New York than Illinois and Wisconsin. Remember that, in 1850, exactly one-third of Michigan residents were born in New York State, and the overall character of Michigan strongly reflects this historic settlement pattern, especially from the perspectives of town architecture, layout and nomenclature. Nowadays, there is very little cross-pollination between Michigan and New York, so it is likely that very few Americans have any awareness to the similarities of the two states.

Old 04-02-2021, 01:39 PM

811 posts, read 889,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
This. Having lived in Michigan and Illinois and spending a ton of time in Ohio, Michigan's once-removed twin is Wisconsin. It also shares similarities with N. Illinois. Even though Michigan borders Ohio, they are *very* different. Ohio leans almost to being southern, Michigan is squarely northern. Very different.
Yes, I agree with this. Ohio and Michigan are not much alike at all.

Old 04-02-2021, 06:20 PM

9,171 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Default What state is most comparable to Michigan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
In terms of demographics, culture, geography, cities, recreational opportunities, etc.
I tend to equate Wisconsin with Michigan probably of the Great Lakes coastlines but also things like vast northern forests and dairy farming. Michigan of course is the King of the Great Lakes (except for the oversized Ontario Province) but Wisconsin is no slouch either.

Notice I do not dwell on Detroit because while she has a huge population she is only a small part of the total state of Michigan.

After Wisconsin, I see similarities of Michigan with Ohio, New York and Minnesota.

Old 04-02-2021, 07:05 PM

13,624 posts, read 7,942,318 times
Definitely Wisconsin. The rural culture of the states is the same. Both are forested and hilly in their northern parts, and the UP is an extension of northern WI.

Both states are also big on dairy and grow the same crops.

Detroit and Milwaukee are fairly comparable to a degree, apart from Motowns automotive heritage.

Madison is a bigger version of Ann Arbor while also being the state capital, and Michigan's capital metro is also home to a major state university. Both border multiple Great Lakes as well.

Old 04-04-2021, 11:14 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,780 times
Michigan's peninsulas are distinct regions that are temporarily joined in one name, like Vancouver Island and British Columbia, northern and southern California, antebellum Virginia, etc., with separatist movements.

Old 04-05-2021, 09:13 AM

26,420 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Wisconsin, but only due to Michigan having the UP.

Old 04-05-2021, 09:23 AM

6,808 posts, read 4,246,943 times
SE Michigan has close ties with Northern Ohio. I'd say those two are 'twinned' in mutual dislike. I'd also think Detroit has a lot more in common with Cleveland than with Chicago.

Old 04-05-2021, 10:05 AM

5,299 posts, read 6,068,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
Yes, I agree with this. Ohio and Michigan are not much alike at all.
I disagree. I think Michigan and quite a bit of Ohio are more similar than not. I'd say Northern and western Ohio have much more in common with Michigan economically and demographically than Wisconsin does. Id say the SE portion of OH is more different, but after a lifetime of being affiliated with both states I don't see them being that different at all. Contrary to some of the comments I'd say Michigan is least like Illinois.

1. Ohio
2. Wisconsin
3. New York
4. Minnesota
5. Indiana
6. Illinois

Old 04-05-2021, 01:16 PM

811 posts, read 889,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I disagree. I think Michigan and quite a bit of Ohio are more similar than not. I'd say Northern and western Ohio have much more in common with Michigan economically and demographically than Wisconsin does. Id say the SE portion of OH is more different, but after a lifetime of being affiliated with both states I don't see them being that different at all. Contrary to some of the comments I'd say Michigan is least like Illinois.

1. Ohio
2. Wisconsin
3. New York
4. Minnesota
5. Indiana
6. Illinois
As a native Ohioan, I feel like I am in a different country when in Michigan. Doesn’t feel similar at all. Toledo is Ohio’s stepchild and most Ohioans ignore it. Been there once, and that was enough so maybe Toledo has similarities to SE Michigan, I wouldn’t know. Ohio and Indiana are virtual twins in many regards and I discussed this a lot in the thread about what state Ohio is most similar to.

Michigan is literally surrounded by Lakes...feels much more connected to outdoor recreation. Michigan also feels more aligned to Chicago and the Upper Peninsula is North Woods mixed with Canada. Ohio is Midwest and much more conservative and Southern leaning in its Southern region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City