Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 06:37 AM

11,061 posts, read 12,456,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
If NYC is not considered "fun anymore nowadays", then what city is?... Dallas?
Sure, Dallas but also basically anywhere else. Virtually everyone I knew in NYC has left in the last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2021, 08:01 AM

474 posts, read 531,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Source? Per the numbers in this thread it’s a difference of 90k in Bos vs 141k in Chicago on the CSA level.

I’d like to compare just the 128 to just Chicago proper but I don’t think I’ll have the time to pull the numbers any time soon. There are also large Indian enclaves in a few further out suburbs that might make up a large portion of the community in the metro area vs just the 128 cities. Not sure.
I think they’re going by foreign-born and descendants of Indian immigrants. Could be that Chicago has a larger population of Indian Americans from the second generation and later, although I don’t have the numbers on it myself.

Old 04-04-2021, 08:34 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Sure, Dallas but also basically anywhere else. Virtually everyone I knew in NYC has left in the last year.
So that makes it not fun? We still in a pandemic.

Every large city has felt the affects of the pandemic, including Dallas (I was just there actually), and New York without a doubt will enter a full recovery within a year, especially once Broadway is a go. Each week the city changes for the better, not an exaggeration.

Back to original point...Boston was never really "fun" (nice city though), so New York and Boston shouldn't be in the same sentence for fun. Next, yes some people moved and its temporarily quieter, but what do people expect?...the "New York is over" storyline is really something, and maybe stems from a subconscious idea of New York losing its place as the most dominant American city? I don't know... No other city seems to get the same flak as New York in that regard, and its exaggerated, I am the one who lives here, so I know...

I ask that question because I've been all over the country work in recent months, most recently to Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, Charlotte and Tulsa. Some cities are recovering faster in different ways, but how exactly is "basically anywhere else" more fun than New York? I didn't see it during my travels...

Old 04-04-2021, 09:37 AM

Quote:

Every large city has felt the affects of the pandemic, including Dallas (I was just there actually), and New York without a doubt will enter a full recovery within a year, especially once Broadway is a go. Each week the city changes for the better, not an exaggeration.

Back to original point...Boston was never really "fun" (nice city though), so New York and Boston shouldn't be in the same sentence for fun. Next, yes some people moved and its temporarily quieter, but what do people expect?...the "New York is over" storyline is really something, and maybe stems from a subconscious idea of New York losing its place as the most dominant American city? I don't know... No other city seems to get the same flak as New York in that regard, and its exaggerated, I am the one who lives here, so I know...

I ask that question because I've been all over the country work in recent months, most recently to Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, Charlotte and Tulsa. Some cities are recovering faster in different ways, but how exactly is "basically anywhere else" more fun than New York? I didn't see it during my travels...
I have no clue why you'd go to a city now where you are guaranteed to be isolated and not know anyone indefinitely. There are cities now that you can live a somewhat normal life and not have to be paranoid of getting sick at all times.

Old 04-04-2021, 10:02 AM

188 posts, read 127,827 times
You go to New York for the New York experience. Nowhere else is going to give you that. NYC is THE American city; I live in Philly and love it here, but I have no delusions that NYC is in a whole different level. If the op is looking for that experience I see no reason to spend a year in Boston or anyplace else while there are deals in NYC. It's going to bounce back, I don't care how many awesome people left it. Statements like "NYC is done for" is akin to say London or Paris are done for. That's just crazy to me. Cities around the world have weathered a lot worse than the current pandemic.

Old 04-04-2021, 10:04 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,088,935 times
Quote:

Yep. Nathan Lane and Savion Glover did pop-up shows yesterday at the St. James Theater for Front-Line health care workers. Seinfeld just made a surprise appearance at Gotham comedy club on Friday. It will be back better and stronger than ever.

Old 04-04-2021, 10:13 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times
I think OP needs to scout out both.

Half of people like NY Better, half like Boston.

I need more info from OP.

Old 04-04-2021, 11:06 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,049,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjohnyang View Post
I think they’re going by foreign-born and descendants of Indian immigrants. Could be that Chicago has a larger population of Indian Americans from the second generation and later, although I don’t have the numbers on it myself.
Pulled [what I think might be] more complete data for the CSAs:

https://data.census.gov/cedsci/table...ePreview=false

Still it has Chicago's Indian population as less than twice Boston's. Nowhere near the 3x the other poster was going on about. Still it's true that Boston's Asian population is largely Chinese while Chicago's is largely Indian. But while Chicago is definitely better for an Indian person looking for representation, Boston's still pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I think OP needs to scout out both.

Half of people like NY Better, half like Boston.

I need more info from OP.
Has it been half and half? I feel like the consensus even among Boston posters is: go to NYC. Boston's a great place but it's not "a temporary alternative to NY that's been impacted less by the pandemic". It's always been quieter and smaller. On top of that, I'm pretty sure that its food and entertainment industries have been as hardpressed by covid as NY's.

Quote:
I have no clue why you'd go to a city now where you are guaranteed to be isolated and not know anyone indefinitely. There are cities now that you can live a somewhat normal life and not have to be paranoid of getting sick at all times.
It's never been about getting sick, it's been about getting Grammy sick and potentially killing her. I personally lost a great uncle to the virus and a coworker lost his mother. Things are looking better on that front, though. 404.6k of MA's 493.3k people over 75 have received at least one dose. That number is 520.8k out of 682.8k for people over 65. Cases have been rising, but (knock on wood) deaths are still dropping.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 04-04-2021 at 11:15 AM..

Old 04-04-2021, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post

Has it been half and half? I feel like the consensus even among Boston posters is: go to NYC. Boston's a great place but it's not "a temporary alternative to NY that's been impacted less by the pandemic". It's always been quieter and smaller. On top of that, I'm pretty sure that its food and entertainment industries have been as hardpressed by covid as NY's.
I find the rest of New England much more pleasant and enjoyable than regions outside NYC. For me, that is enough reason to prefer Boston. Especially if both cities are somewhat shadows of their 2019 selves, I'd rather be in the smaller city that's easier to get out of and explore the region.

Old 04-04-2021, 11:18 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,049,019 times
Quote:
I find the rest of New England much more pleasant and enjoyable than regions outside NYC. For me, that is enough reason to prefer Boston. Especially if both cities are somewhat shadows of their 2019 selves, I'd rather be in the smaller city that's easier to get out of and explore the region.
That's a good point, but it doesn't seem in-line with what the OP wants. They said "Then again, not sure if the vibrancy of NYC in it's current state beats out Boston as it normally is.." and the answer is "no it absolutely does". They seem (imo) to want a vibrant, urban experience and NYC is definitely the right choice for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City