Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is impacting its city’s image more?
“Chi-raq” 66 77.65%
Boston racism 19 22.35%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 02:27 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yes of course it easier to do in Chicago but it still happens often in Boston and it shouldnt given the tiny size.

As for the Chi-Raq bad rep. Isn't Chicago still posting record breaking tourism numbers that are more than double Boston's... (pre-pandemic)? How bad can it be?
I follow tourist numbers heavily and nearly every city, actually all US Cities, prior to the pandemic broke tourist records. % Wise BOS increased faster than CHI, but raw numbers, CHI increased more. International tourists surprisingly visit Boston more though which is weird ( https://www.insidermonkey.com/blog/1...igners-883271/ ). Although Boston followed steeper decline in tourist numbers because of the East Asian situation that did occur, since more tourists by %/Raw Numbers come from China, Hong Kong and Japan than Chicago.

However, for a city that size (Chicago) the numbers are half that on a per capita basis compared to cities like DC, Boston, SF and other cities not named Miami, NY, LA and Orlando - so perception is playing a small role I would assume in both cities.. because Boston's numbers are exactly ground shattering, although 2013-2019 showed substantial gains in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2021, 02:37 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
I do agree with this. There are Latin, Asian restaurants. Halal all over downtown. Sushi all over the place. I would love to see more Caribbean, soul food, African cuisines represented in downtown areas, outside of the neighborhoods. I don’t know if this is “racism” though. I think that word tends to be overused. Whatever factors prevent more of these cuisines in downtown visible touristy areas hopefully can be solved..
a few years ago the radio said there are 1,100 liquor licenses in boston; of which, 110 are black owned.

Old 04-27-2021, 02:39 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
a few years ago the radio said there are 1,100 liquor licenses in boston; of which, 110 are black owned.
Jesus. 1100 for a city of 700k people. Boy, that's embarrassing.

Old 04-27-2021, 02:41 PM

Quote:
so without notable black establishments, foot traffic, and a negative reputation... its not hard to see why its not a favorite amongst blac tourists. I also can't think of one black-owned nightclub at all. Just ~5 that usually cater to a more hip hop crowd Thursday-Sunday. Bijou, Icon, Tunnel, Good Life, Cure, Guilt. And those cater to a 21-30 year old crowd. And theyre not really welcoming looking on the outside minus Tunnel.
is blue wave still black owned ?

Old 04-27-2021, 02:45 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
is blue wave still black owned ?
Idk.

According to google that place closed like a decade ago

Old 04-27-2021, 02:46 PM

Quote:
There are now about 1420 liquor licenses and only 8 are FULL (beer wine AND liquor) black-owned liquor licenses. Well 10 now...

Old 04-27-2021, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I follow tourist numbers heavily and nearly every city, actually all US Cities, prior to the pandemic broke tourist records. % Wise BOS increased faster than CHI, but raw numbers, CHI increased more. International tourists surprisingly visit Boston more though which is weird ( https://www.insidermonkey.com/blog/1...igners-883271/ ). Although Boston followed steeper decline in tourist numbers because of the East Asian situation that did occur, since more tourists by %/Raw Numbers come from China, Hong Kong and Japan than Chicago.

However, for a city that size (Chicago) the numbers are half that on a per capita basis compared to cities like DC, Boston, SF and other cities not named Miami, NY, LA and Orlando - so perception is playing a small role I would assume in both cities.. because Boston's numbers are exactly ground shattering, although 2013-2019 showed substantial gains in the right direction.
Boston seems to me to be a more international city and Id imagine it loses a share of domestic visitors due to fear of racism, so international tourism makes up an inordinate role.

Old 04-27-2021, 03:06 PM

Overall I think Boston will be on its way up soon. I do believe people get more of a balanced take on it now as opposed to 10 or even 5 years ago. As its profile continues to rise, over time more interesting stories and images will be shared.

This year's list of the 100 Most Influential Bostonians had a very high share of POC but especially black people with #2 Ibram X. Kendi and #3. being Ayana Pressley but also #11 being Lee Pelton. I counted and there were 23-26 Black Bostonians on the list. Many Asians and Hispanics as well. I counted 39/40 minorities out of 100. Mind you, this is for the Boston Area-not all of these folks live in Boston itself though most do.

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/boston-power-2021/

Old 04-27-2021, 03:13 PM

6,807 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
No in Boston its very very easy to have no interaction with, white people if you live in parts of the city. I lived that life... for a long time. Living on Wood Ave in Hyde Park or HumboldtSstreet in Roxbury is very much racial segregation the difference is you have afro Latinos. Unless your going downtown you're simply not going to see white people.
Humboldt Ave, okay, but I'm surprised you could live in Hyde Park and rarely/never run into white people.

Old 04-27-2021, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Every city of size, redlined....
but chicago was the worst. the heat map in their article didnt have any roads, rivers, parks,... but one could clearly make out a definite line between northside/southside. boston was ranked #6 and the lines were somewhat more nebulous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City