Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is impacting its city’s image more?
“Chi-raq” 66 77.65%
Boston racism 19 22.35%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 02:41 PM

1,393 posts, read 861,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
That’s not really a good argument. That would only make it worse. Supposing Boston is majority minority, it still has historic levels of wealth distribution that don’t care about the majority in town
So are you arguing income inequality is uniquely a Boston problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2021, 02:43 PM

9,891 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
So are you arguing income inequality is uniquely a Boston problem
Certainly part of it. Being majority minority doesn’t free a city of racism

Old 04-17-2021, 02:46 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,890,394 times
Just kind of stirring the pot, here. Otherwise, why?

Old 04-17-2021, 02:53 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,705,570 times
Quote:
Small part of population? You do know Boston is majority minority
When I compare cities on this forum, it is always in a MSA context unless otherwise noted.

This is Greater Boston's racial makeup:

White - 69%
Black - 8%
Hispanic - 12%

Conversely, this is Chicagoland's racial makeup:

White - 52%
Black - 16%
Hispanic - 23%

Also, black people make up 13% of the US population while hispanic people make up 19%, and Greater Boston falls solidly below both numbers.

Old 04-17-2021, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Certainly part of it. Being majority minority doesn’t free a city of racism
How is an entire city racist? That always confused me. Boston’s current mayor Kim Janey is working to change the image. Income inequality is a problem but this is not a uniquely Boston problem..it’s pretty much an American problem. I’m not saying Boston hasn’t had racial issues. It has especially busing crisis in 70s. At this point it’s my opinion it’s exaggerated as is Chicago’s rep. Boston and inner suburbs Cambridge, Sommerville, Chelsea, Quincy, randolphetc are very multicultural. A majority are BLM supporters. Everyone remembers Bill Russell’s house getting vandalized. Everyone forgets Doc rivers house getting burned down in Texas and lebron James getting vandalized in la. All awful and inexcusable. Boston has image certainly but I like the direction of the city with the current mayor and hopefully income inequality will be addressed..I like her direction.

Last edited by Ne999; 04-17-2021 at 03:10 PM..

Old 04-17-2021, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
When I compare cities on this forum, it is always in a MSA context unless otherwise noted.

This is Greater Boston's racial makeup:

White - 69%
Black - 8%
Hispanic - 12%

Conversely, this is Chicagoland's racial makeup:

White - 52%
Black - 16%
Hispanic - 23%

Also, black people make up 13% of the US population while hispanic people make up 19%, and Greater Boston falls solidly below both numbers.
Hear what you’re saying but two points for context
1. The city is 25% black 15% Latino 8% asian. Urban area would also be very diverse
2. The msa demographics would look different if you looked an hour south into central falls and Pawtucket RI instead of an hour north into New Hampshire.

Old 04-17-2021, 03:14 PM

9,891 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Quote:
How is an entire city racist? That always confused me. Boston’s current mayor Kim Janey is working to change the image. Income inequality is a problem but this is not a uniquely Boston problem..it’s pretty much an American problem. I’m not saying Boston hasn’t had racial issues. It has especially busing crisis in 70s. At this point it’s my opinion it’s exaggerated as is Chicago’s rep. Boston and inner suburbs Cambridge, Sommerville, Chelsea, Quincy, randolphetc are very multicultural. A majority are BLM supporters. Everyone remembers Bill Russell’s house getting vandalized. Everyone forgets Doc rivers house getting burned down in Texas and lebron James getting vandalized in la. All awful and inexcusable. Boston has image certainly but I like the direction of the city with the current mayor and hopefully income inequality will be addressed..I like her direction.
It isn’t. Boston is merely one of the many examples of urban racism in USA but gets particularly signed out. Same as Chicago with violence. That’s the point of the thread.

Old 04-17-2021, 03:15 PM

12,164 posts, read 8,010,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Both institutional and casual forms of racism are getting more attention in general as of late because of the racially-motivated high-profile events that have occurred over the past few years in cities where disadvantaged minorities make up a releatively small part of the population (similar to Boston).
Boston is 58% (or more now) minority. Its also like 10% LGBT.. sooo?

Old 04-17-2021, 03:17 PM

Quote:
It isn’t. Boston is merely one of the many examples of urban racism in USA but gets particularly signed out. Same as Chicago with violence. That’s the point of the thread.
I hear you

Old 04-17-2021, 03:19 PM

1,803 posts, read 935,479 times
This HYPING of this Chi-raq glamorizing it in Hip Hop/Drill .... only limitly effected Chicago. I would note .... CHICAGO all during this so-calld Chi-raq syndrome glamorized and sensationalized - IN RAP.

DID NOT hurt Chicago in steady rising TOURISM that rose millions each year. Placing Chicago near NYC levels where it has the International tourist #s Chicago lacked. Of course not 2020.

I would also say on C-D. Chicago still can win poll-threads in positive ways.

Remember people. If ---- Al Capone did not stop Chicago's 1920s boom..... and to this day. That era with its Jazz and Blues as a part of it. Is as if FONDLY a legacy of that city. Tourist do tours even. But it DID END and so will this Chi-raq scene into music especially fad wane.

OMG ... the DNC Convention Poluce Riot (as was called) in Chicago in 1968. Did FAR more damage. Many too young or learned of that tumultuous year and era.

Most expose's on Chi-raq the gangland crime aspect had its hyping a few years ago did stop. Sadly, many other cities including in the mighty Sunbelt of cities clearly now share this blemish with spikes in crime and the OP should note the 2020 changed this to a National scourge.

If the OP wants it hyped... as was in that other thread to gain this new one now to prove some point.... This Chi-raq use and glamorizing in music even more then demonizing. It is probably on the fading end of a Rap fad now ....

Last edited by NoHyping; 04-17-2021 at 03:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City