Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is impacting its city’s image more?
“Chi-raq” 66 77.65%
Boston racism 19 22.35%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 04:25 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times

Advertisements

Because this poll is probably mostly white respondents-youre gonna see a fear of black crime outweigh concerns of white on black racism, for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2021, 04:40 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
It doesnt. Boston really is no different than any other metro, probably is more equitable than a lot of cities including some big ones that I would never name on this thread because the boosters would get so bent out shape...
Are you sure about that?

According to the analysis below, Greater Boston is the 2nd least racially inclusive metro area in the country despite being the 2nd most prosperous (only Minneapolis-St Paul has a worse disparity)

https://nationalequityatlas.org/research/index-findings

It's not a question of whether every major city/metro has problems with racism. It's a question of which major city/metro is worse. And Boston has earned the reputation of being amongst the worst.

Old 04-17-2021, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yeah I would say it's culturally exclusive and segregated. Not hostile, no. But the segregation isn't welcoming to outsiders who can't find any place that feels like they won't stick out. And I get that

But you can easily argue exclusion and segregation is a form of hostility and id accept that.
I accept your critique here. "Hostile" wasn't the right word.

Old 04-17-2021, 04:42 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times
I'd say the "Chiraq" moniker, just by how people move with their feet. Boston at least has experienced a consistent decade-span population growth since the 1980s.

Old 04-17-2021, 04:46 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
No way is Boston as equitable as other cities-no.

It's a cool city for the local culture and history what does exist in the neighborhoods, it's attractive, important and functional but inclusive and equitable? that is far far from the reality. It's just the floor for bad QOL in Boston is higher than most (not all) cities. It's onto in the last 5-10 years that the economy has begun to trickle down to black people in substantive ways. Doesn't seem to be helping latinos though. Massachusetts is the worst state in the country for Latinos a lot with RI and CT right behind.

Old 04-17-2021, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Because this poll is probably mostly white respondents-youre gonna see a fear of black crime outweigh concerns of white on black racism, for them.
Yep. Sampling bias (and arguably a casual form of racism in itself).

Old 04-17-2021, 04:55 PM

1,393 posts, read 860,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I accept your critique here. "Hostile" wasn't the right word.
Segregated I can see. Current mayor will hopefully turn the image around. Don’t know I’d call a city that speaks 140 languages culturally hostile.

Old 04-17-2021, 04:56 PM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Are you sure about that?

According to the analysis below, Greater Boston is the 2nd least racially inclusive metro area in the country despite being the 2nd most prosperous (only Minneapolis-St Paul has a worse disparity)

https://nationalequityatlas.org/research/index-findings

It's not a question of whether every major city/metro has problems with racism. It's a question of which major city/metro is worse. And Boston has earned the reputation of being amongst the worst.
That study also showed Boston had a racial equity score of about 64. In comparison, NYC was about 50, Miami 48, Tampa 62, Chicago 57 and Atlanta 56. Which is what I was referring to.

Last edited by masssachoicetts; 04-17-2021 at 05:05 PM..

Old 04-17-2021, 05:04 PM

1,393 posts, read 860,647 times
Quote:
Yeah I would say it's culturally exclusive and segregated. Not hostile, no. But the segregation isn't welcoming to outsiders who can't find any place that feels like they won't stick out. And I get that

But you can easily argue exclusion and segregation is a form of hostility and id accept that.
I’ve been y to o Chicago multiple times and love the city I’ve been all over. West, north, south. Unfortunately Chicago is also pretty segregated. Would you say Chicago’s segregation is less so than Boston’s ?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/247wall...n-america/amp/

Old 04-17-2021, 05:09 PM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
I’ve been y to o Chicago multiple times and love the city. Would you say Chicago’s segregation is less so than Boston’s ?
Chicago's segregation is probably top 5 with Detroit, NY, Memphis, Milwaukee, etc. I definitely noticed how bad it was househunting there.

The city is in a grid pattern and if you cross the street you go from tracts of 99% Black to 90% White. Chicago's segregation is a lot worse because the city is much larger and outside the North Side to Rogers Park.. there really is very little, if any, integration. Chicago's race map is like streaks of racial groups.

Is Chicago doing anything to fix this? Like you can make out Damen Ave here. THere is very few racially diverse areas outside the North Side. Bostons minority population is too small to compare to Chicago's where you literally can go in a straight line from White community, to black, to hispanic, to black, to white.

radicalcartography
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City