Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is impacting its city’s image more?
“Chi-raq” 66 77.65%
Boston racism 19 22.35%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 05:12 PM

1,393 posts, read 860,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Chicago's segregation is probably top 5 with Detroit, NY, Memphis, Milwaukee, etc. I definitely noticed how bad it was househunting there.

The city is in a grid pattern and if you cross the street you go from tracts of 99% Black to 90% White. Chicago's segregation is a lot worse because the city is much larger and outside the North Side to Rogers Park.. there really is very little, if any, integration. Chicago's race map is like streaks of racial groups.

Is Chicago doing anything to fix this? Like you can make out Damen Ave here.

radicalcartography
That’s what I thought too. Not point of this thread..but again something Boston is singled out for. Again very excited to see what Kim janey can do to improve this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2021, 05:13 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
That’s what I thought too. Not point of this thread..but again something Boston is singled out for. Again very excited to see what Kim janey can do to improve this
I mean Boston is segregated too. But Chicago is a whole other level here. The problem I think lies that Boston is more outwardly racist and has a stronger pastime of racist activities. Like I can name 6 or 7 instances in pop culture where Bostonians were outwardly racist and proud. Chicago I think I can name one.. but it ties back to how horribly corrupt the city was. Which definitely fueled the Chiraq thing overtime.

Most older Chicagoans I know are fairly open-minded too. The Chicago guy at work is 57 and moved to NJ recently... he is relatively down to Earth and open-minded on most conversations. A good chunk of NATIVE Bostonians 50 y/o+ is freelancing the N word and pretty racist around other white people.

I understand why Boston has a more racist reputation. Maybe it's a Northeast thing because I see similar attitudes by Italians around where I am now and people from LI. During my time at an Upstate NY college, I heard white girls yell the hard R word atleast 10 times at the bars... at black guys or girls. They were all from an urbanized area too.

Oddly enough, I can't remember people from FL or NC using derogatory slurs openly and proudly. I mean could the reputation for Bostonians being racist be warranted? Is the Northeast a more openly racist/more liberal policy-wise region? Just proposing a question here. From my experiences, this is what Im seeing.

Old 04-17-2021, 05:20 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times
Quote:
I mean Boston is segregated too. But Chicago is a whole other level here.
The thing with Chicago is it's still more culturally inclusive to many minorities despite being more segregated.

Old 04-17-2021, 05:26 PM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
Quote:

I understand why Boston has a more racist reputation. Maybe it's a Northeast thing because I see similar attitudes by Italians around where I am now and people from LI. During my time at an Upstate NY college, I heard white girls yell the hard R word atleast 10 times at the bars... at black guys or girls. They were all from an urbanized area too.

Oddly enough, I can't remember people from FL or NC using derogatory slurs openly and proudly. I mean could the reputation for Bostonians being racist be warranted? Is the Northeast a more openly racist/more liberal policy-wise region? Just proposing a question here. From my experiences, this is what Im seeing.
There just seems to be something different about Boston and racism, especially toward blacks. I heard about Boston being a racist city even growing up in the Midwest in the 80s/90s. A lot of black athletes agree:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ver-the-years/

I still chose Chicago for the poll though. I don't think most people think of Boston as a "no-go" zone these days like they do Chicago, even POC.

Old 04-17-2021, 05:43 PM

1,803 posts, read 934,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
There just seems to be something different about Boston and racism, especially toward blacks. I heard about Boston being a racist city even growing up in the Midwest in the 80s/90s. A lot of black athletes agree:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ver-the-years/

I still chose Chicago for the poll though. I don't think most people think of Boston as a "no-go" zone these days like they do Chicago, even POC.
Honestly, you always know whio will say sometging like this from other post. Most visitors by far... are impressed with a city as Chicago. Sure visitors know and recognize. There are areas of the city removed from the Core better to avoid as a visitor and by ethnicity.

These agendas as if all the city is "no go" is radical. This city pre-covid... Did not grow its tourism numbers to just under 58-million for 2018 by people thinking it is all a Chi-raq and no-go. Even the OP acknowleges that as fond of the city.

Chicago 58-million visitors in 2018. A increase of 2-mill.

https://www-nbcchicago-com.cdn.amppr...ity%2F81276%2F

If anything this past covid year with Social unrest showed us.... It is many of our cities are growing these scourges. From homeless numbers showcased in espose's and YouTube. To crime and murder surges soooo many cities are seeing. Level of growth is irreverent even.

Boston metro is not small. Still Chicagoland is millions larger and ALL of Boston city-proper. FITS into just Chicago's North side.....

Old 04-17-2021, 05:51 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Far more jobs outside of Boston than in Boston itself
This isn’t entirely true. I think Middlesex is only slightly ahead of Suffolk in terms of jobs despite being much bigger in land area and slightly bigger in population.

Quote:
and many radio stations serving suburbs come from Worcester or Providence or the Cape.
And the Merrimack Valley gets NH stations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
The thing with Chicago is it's still more culturally inclusive to many minorities despite being more segregated.
Can you prove this somehow or is it just a gut instinct on your part?

Old 04-17-2021, 08:04 PM

1,122 posts, read 924,910 times
Boston racism?
When? 1990?
What is generational wealth/prosperity?
Will we be re-naming everything?

Old 04-17-2021, 09:06 PM

2,818 posts, read 2,283,271 times
This is always a tricky thing to compare. Chraq is about crime. You can objectively measure crime and compare crime rates across cities. Racism is pretty hard to measure objectively or compare across time and place. As a result, we are mostly going on anecdote or personal experiences. Obviously racism is very real. But, anecdote can create its own feedback loops that reinforce the narrative.

For example, lots of racist stuff happens in NYC. With the Central Park dog walker story or some of the recent Asian hate crimes, the coverage tends to be "even in a liberal,diverse city like NYC this crap goes on." Had those happened in Boston, Boston itself would have been the story and how uniquely racist the city is.

Now lots of people that are far more familiar with the situation say racism in Boston (particularly anti-Black racism) is worse than other big MSAs. So I tend to believe them. But, it is hard to exactly quantify it.

Old 04-17-2021, 09:06 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
This isn’t entirely true. I think Middlesex is only slightly ahead of Suffolk in terms of jobs despite being much bigger in land area and slightly bigger in population.

And the Merrimack Valley gets NH stations.

Can you prove this somehow or is it just a gut instinct on your part?
Of course its true your comparing one county (that still ha more mob than Suffolk coubth(which is more than just Boston) out of a 7 county metro area. What is the point of your comparison? Doesn't make sense

Old 04-17-2021, 09:07 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
I’ve been y to o Chicago multiple times and love the city I’ve been all over. West, north, south. Unfortunately Chicago is also pretty segregated. Would you say Chicago’s segregation is less so than Boston’s ?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/247wall...n-america/amp/
They’re equally as segregated.

In Chicago, Black culture is far more celebrated than Boston’s Black culture. That’s both locally and Nationally. I think that plays a key role in talking segregation/racism. Doesn’t change the fact that 95% of Chicago’s Black population lives south and far west.

For us Chicagoan’s, we know better than to consider Chicago equitable and desegregated. But nothing is done on a mass scale to effect change. Doing nothing is easier.

Sound familiar, Bostonian’s?

As far as outward racism, I haven’t really seen any incidents. But I know they happen.
But locker room, old boys club racism amongst white males? Plenty of that in both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City