Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is impacting its city’s image more?
“Chi-raq” 66 77.65%
Boston racism 19 22.35%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 06:53 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I can confirm. Chicagos market is booming. But so is Bostons.

Not a good point to bring up
I don't think the city of Boston is booming at all, fairly certain it's the suburbs that are booming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2021, 07:02 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I don't think the city of Boston is booming at all, fairly certain it's the suburbs that are booming.
Suburbs where I live don't seem to be particularly booming.

Old 04-18-2021, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Suburbs where I live don't seem to be particularly booming.
Have you checked the number of houses on he market and the median listing price YoY? It's probably booming unless it's very bad suburb.

Old 04-18-2021, 07:21 PM

1,803 posts, read 935,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I can confirm. Chicagos market is booming. But so is Bostons.

Not a good point to bring up
The Poster I responded and to for a post wrote this as a Question.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
To be fair, the "Chi-raq" moniker was created by Chicagoans themselves. I don't think it really affects the city other than perception from people who are looking for a reason to hate on it anyway.
Are corporations not doing business in the city these days because of "perception"? Are housing values going down, rather than up like the rest of the country? Does the average Chicagoan have a negative perception of themselves because of "Chi-raq"?
I also had his other post here and another thread in mind.... SO it was answering by WIKI who says NON-Chicagoans did the recreating of Chi-raq more vs his on Chicagoans themselves created it.

Now if cost of the housing was a factor.....that is for Bostonians to defend being a much higher median price..... Does the Chi-raq negativity keep Chicago's prices lower.... for higher end homes to those in the middle?

Still proves.... if prices can be still rising WHILE SOME SAY IT IS A CITY IN FULL DECLINE and EMPTYING OUT.... with sales even in Chicago alone most at asking and many above it. Suburbs even higher..... IT CANNOT BE ALL Chi-raq damaged.

The term is already mainly Rap and its other genres that keep the term going... been what 6 years or more? Trump never used it.... CNN or FOX might have at first... not anymore. So.... SHOULD WE HYPE IT YET?

I do not listen to RAP unless its is in a club of bar i go playing on the juke box. Few I hear Chi-raq even in. I do hear F- and N- words in the ones I dislike.... some I can like without it.

Old 04-18-2021, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Have you checked the number of houses on he market and the median listing price YoY?
We may have different definitions of "booming".

Low inventory and high prices mean the town isn't growing. At all really.

Old 04-18-2021, 07:24 PM

Quote:
We may have different definitions of "booming".
If the real estate market is booming- pricesare going up quickly and the houses are selling quicky. I think that's pretty stabdard. This describes 99% of Boston suburbs as home prices are literally the highest they've ever been and SFH listing are down to 1/3rd of what they were this time in 2019.

Perhaps you're talking about new construction?

Old 04-18-2021, 07:27 PM

Quote:
If the real estate market is booming- pricesare going up quickly and the houses are selling quicky. I think that's pretty stabdard. This describes 99% of Boston suburbs as home prices are literally the highest they've ever been and SFH listing are down to 1/3rd of what they were this time in 2019.

Perhaps you're talking about new construction?
Yeah, to be "booming" implies "growing rapidly". I might use it to describe the area where my family lives in the SC suburbs of Charlotte. Definitely not the rinky dink Merrimack Valley town I'm in now.

Inventory is low and prices are high in Camden, ME but I wouldn't call the town "booming". If anything, those data points show the opposite: a lack of boom.

Old 04-18-2021, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Yeah, to be "booming" implies "growing rapidly". I might use it to describe the area where my family lives in the SC suburbs of Charlotte. Definitely not the rinky dink Merrimack Valley town I'm in now.

Inventory is low and prices are high in Camden, ME but I wouldn't call the town "booming". If anything, those data points show the opposite: a lack of boom.
I would say thats a booming town. But the 'real estate market' booming I think of prices-not population growth.

Regardless, by neither metric is the City of Boston circa 2021 "Booming" in neither price nor population.

Old 04-18-2021, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Regardless, by neither metric is the City of Boston circa 2021 "Booming" in neither price nor population.
I dunno. There seems to be a lot of new construction going on in town. Maybe "booming" a stretch, but per my definition it's closer to that word than the suburbs are.

Old 04-18-2021, 08:03 PM

Quote:
I dunno. There seems to be a lot of new construction going on in town. Maybe "booming" a stretch, but per my definition it's closer to that word than the suburbs are.
Boston is not booming. Far from it. Prices declined precipitously and have remained there. The population has grown by 5,000 people over 3 years.

Construction is construction. Boston is underbuilt it could build heavily for 10 years and still be underbuilt. Has nothing to do with a boom whatsoever.

The increase in demand is primarily in the suburbs since the pandemic hit. This is fundamentally different than Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City