Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 06:48 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,311,783 times

Advertisements

You really need to look at the total numbers which is at the bottom of the list.

San Diego is making some impressive strides.

It still lags behind LA and San Fran and I would say is on par with Denver.

The top transit systems in the nation:

Class A
1) NYC
2) Chicago
3) DC

Class A-/B+
All tied...
4) Philadelphia
4) San Fran
4) Boston

Class C
6) Los Angeles
7) Atlanta
8) Denver
9) Baltimore

Class C-
10) Pittsburgh
11) Portland
12) Dallas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2021, 06:49 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
You really need to look at the total numbers which is at the bottom of the list.

Class A
1) NYC
2) Chicago
3) DC

Class A-/B+
All tied...
4) Philadelphia
4) San Fran
4) Boston

Class C
6) Los Angeles
7) Atlanta
8) Denver
9) Baltimore
Sf is definitely not tied

Old 04-19-2021, 06:50 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,311,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Sf above boston? Boy you really are bias
I said they are all tied (Philadelphia, San Fran and Boston).. in 4th place. They all have pros and cons... they all have about the same ridership overall and the same capital budgets... they are the most alike of systems in the nation in terms of size and moving power...

With San Fran systems being newer...

It really is like looking at wrinkles in a shirt to determine the differences between those 3 systems..

Old 04-19-2021, 06:54 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
I said they are all tied (Philadelphia, San Fran and Boston).. in 4th place. They all have pros and cons... they all have about the same ridership overall and the same capital budgets... they are the most alike of systems in the nation in terms of size and moving power...

With San Fran systems being newer...

It really is like looking at wrinkles in a shirt to determine the differences between those 3 systems..
I reread the tie. I swear there was a 5 next to bos hut still SF is a good mark below both PHL and BOS.

Old 04-19-2021, 07:04 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Has LA met projections for anything though?
I'm pretty sure that LA has way exceeded all rail estimates/projections, although rail started declining pretty significantly over the last 2-3 years before covid. Most cities were seeing similar though, even NYC and DC.

Keep in mind though that many of LA's "projections" for the rail that currently exists were made at a time when the federal formula favored "new" transit riders. Getting people off of a bus and onto a train wasn't as favored and my opinion is that Metro models favored new riders and underestimated existing riders moving over.

Old 04-19-2021, 07:22 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,121,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Keep in mind though that many of LA's "projections" for the rail that currently exists were made at a time when the federal formula favored "new" transit riders. Getting people off of a bus and onto a train wasn't as favored and my opinion is that Metro models favored new riders and underestimated existing riders moving over.
Thanks for mentioning this. A small, but important distinction. Overall, the same conclusion: there is definitely demand for transit in LA!

Old 04-19-2021, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
It was a genuine question. Sometimes projections are more sales tactics than anything.

LA has a higher transit share than “progressive” Portland I believe. And I think any Rust Belt City not named Chicago.
I definitely interpreted it as a genuine question Sorry if I responded in a way that seemed in-genuine!

Old 04-19-2021, 07:29 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:

Class A
1) NYC
2) Chicago
3) DC

Class A-/B+
All tied...
4) Philadelphia
4) San Fran
4) Boston

Class C
6) Los Angeles
7) Atlanta
8) Denver
9) Baltimore

Class C-
10) Pittsburgh
11) Portland
12) Dallas
Well the point being made originally was about LA was for the individual system, and that it would rank #2 by 2040. That's just out of the realm of possibility completely, especially for car oriented LA.

Even that list is a bit off regarding heavy rail:

US heavy rail rapid transit systems by ridership 2019, avg weekday ridership:

New York City Subway- 9,117,400
Washington DC Metro (WMATA)- 816,700
Chicago L- 695,300
MBTA subway ("The T")- 475,300
Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART)- 421,100
SEPTA- (Broad Street, Market–Frankford, and Norristown High Speed Lines)- 329,200
PATH-NJ- 306,700
MARTA rail-175,338
Metro Rail Los Angeles Heavy rail only (B and D Lines)- 130,900
Miami Metrorail- 62,600

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_by_ridership

Old 04-19-2021, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
You're wrong actually not me.

By city:
You specifically referred to regions, so why show the completely useless city comparison?

Quote:
By metro area:

MSAs by Percentage of Workers Using Public Transportation, 2019

31.6% New York-Newark-Jersey City
18.9% San Francisco-Oakland-Berkeley
13.3% Boston-Cambridge-Newton
13.0% Washington-Arlington-Alexandria
12.3% Chicago-Naperville-Elgin
I think we just have different datasets, but seeing that this one is more recent I defer to yours. Either way, I think DC is still tied with Chicago & Boston. It feels much more auto-centric as well.
https://www.census.gov/content/dam/C...acs/acs-48.pdf

Quote:
I didn't say DC rivals NY in transit. I said those two are the most transit oriented. Although Boston and SF are right there, as is Chicago, and by percentage compare.
And I disagree with that assertion. At best, it's a tie with Chicago.

Quote:
Los Angeles is not in the picture, and shown no signs becoming the #2 transit city in America by 2040. I have no idea why that assertion would be made.
Agree!

Old 04-19-2021, 07:35 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Do you mean light rail or heavy? LA ain't passing DC Metro in our lifetimes. There's still expansions and all kinds of plans taking place in DC that will keep it ahead of LA. You can hope to crack the top 4 maybe, and with the expansions coming LA it can hope for top three. But NYC and DC are probably the most transit oriented metro areas in the country overall. LA may go up in tier, but still be after those two, and probably after Chicago as well if they begin to make more rail expansions there.
First let me express my condolences that you don't expect to be living next decade.

Second, I meant that LA's combined light/heavy rail will be passing DC in both ridership and usefulness within the next 10-12 years. IMO it will be easier to get around LA by rail than it is to get around DC by rail and LA will have more riders overall even though much of the system will be light rail.

I don't see LA catching DC in just heavy rail though. Realistically, the planned Sepulveda Pass line to LAX and the current purple line extension to one day maybe Santa Monica, plus one station on the other end will be all of the heavy rail that LA will build in the next 20 years. LA will have higher ridership per mile, but DC will have many more miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City