Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 04:14 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,288,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarSeltzer View Post
This is a joke, right? ? Seattle belongs at the very top of Class C. Denver’s transit system is pretty poor. The rail is suburban and park and ride oriented and the bus system is weak. Seattle has nearly triple the transit share of Denver (and much higher than LA and Atlanta as well) and its light rail is more like a heavy rail system and is expanding in denser areas rapidly. I’d also put Portland and Pittsburgh above Denver.
Recurring theme in these types of threads:

Give Seattle credit for things that haven't been built yet while ignoring existing rail in Los Angeles. "Transit share" is a very good way to get around the fact that Seattle has less LRT than Pittsburgh I suppose.

We can cherry pick the kinds of metrics we like to give one place an advantage, or we can look at the fact that as of today, Los Angeles has five times as much operational track as Seattle, built over one of the largest interurban rail grids the world has ever seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2021, 04:22 PM

117 posts, read 80,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Recurring theme in these types of threads:

Give Seattle credit for things that haven't been built yet while ignoring existing rail in Los Angeles. "Transit share" is a very good way to get around the fact that Seattle has less LRT than Pittsburgh I suppose.

We can cherry pick the kinds of metrics we like to give one place an advantage, or we can look at the fact that as of today, Los Angeles has five times as much operational track as Seattle, built over one of the largest interurban rail grids the world has ever seen.
RowHomeCity left Seattle off the list, that's why people are reacting.

Old 04-21-2021, 04:32 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
Seattle outclasses the C cities in ACTUAL COMMUTE SHARE TODAY. Or in 2019 at least.

Old 04-21-2021, 04:38 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
That's some great news in regards to the reopening of cities and SD's upcoming Mid-Coast Trolley extension. It'll be interesting to see if SD maintains the second place spot as things continue to open up. I do think Boston's light rail ridership will end up overtaking it for the annual count, but who knows!

There are some pretty substantial light rail projects slated for opening within a year or so from now. LA has the Crenshaw line, SD the aforementioned Mid-Coast Trolley, Boston with the GLX project, Seattle with the Northgate link, SF with the MUNI Central Subway, and the big one (a bit over a year from now) being the Los Angeles Regional Connector. I think LA's going to take top spot this year and the next and for the foreseeable future and it'll be a race for second this year between Boston and SD.

Old 04-21-2021, 05:15 PM

1,320 posts, read 865,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEggHead View Post
RowHomeCity left Seattle off the list, that's why people are reacting.
I'm surprised more people aren't objecting that that poster put Pittsburgh above Portland lol

Old 04-22-2021, 10:38 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I don't know, they still tallied 12 million trips. They might not have data some metrics.
The 12M trips was Q4 in 2019. They were shut down for most of 2020. Look at the Q2 and Q3 2020 reports. Shows zero ridership as well.

Old 04-22-2021, 07:02 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,974,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Seattle outclasses the C cities in ACTUAL COMMUTE SHARE TODAY. Or in 2019 at least.
That's because of buses and C-D hates buses.

I kid, but buses don't excite people like rail does.

Old 04-22-2021, 07:15 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,311,222 times
I forgot Seattle.. that was not intentional.

Seattle is in the C category. And I guess if we want to look at specifics, Seattle and LA would rank in the C+ category...With cities like Denver and Atlanta in the C or C- category...

San Diego... while making strides is still definitely in the D category and is still mostly auto oriented in terms of ridership share...

I will say Phoenix and San Diego are definitely making some positive improvements in light rail investment though and it should be noted as a positve.

Revised list below:

Class A
1) NYC
2) Chicago
3) DC

Class B+
All tied...
4) Philadelphia
4) San Fran
4) Boston

Class C+
7) Los Angeles
8) Seattle

Class C
9) Atlanta
10) Denver
11) Pittsburgh

Class C-
12) Baltimore
13) Portland

Class D
14) Miami
15) Dallas
16) San Diego
17) Houston

Class D-
18) Raleigh
19) Cleveland
20) Austin

Class F)
The rest... because transit infrastructure is so poor or service so infrequent, or the system serves so little of the population it is just not a viable and positive option to live a car free lifestyle.

In terms of all forms of public transit and the % of use... these rankings are fairly accurate when you aggregate all the data and rank each metro/city.

Last edited by rowhomecity; 04-22-2021 at 07:28 PM..

Old 04-22-2021, 08:28 PM

718 posts, read 492,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I forgot Seattle.. that was not intentional.

Seattle is in the C category. And I guess if we want to look at specifics, Seattle and LA would rank in the C+ category...With cities like Denver and Atlanta in the C or C- category...

San Diego... while making strides is still definitely in the D category and is still mostly auto oriented in terms of ridership share...

I will say Phoenix and San Diego are definitely making some positive improvements in light rail investment though and it should be noted as a positve.

Revised list below:

Class A
1) NYC
2) Chicago
3) DC

Class B+
All tied...
4) Philadelphia
4) San Fran
4) Boston

Class C+
7) Los Angeles
8) Seattle

Class C
9) Atlanta
10) Denver
11) Pittsburgh

Class C-
12) Baltimore
13) Portland

Class D
14) Miami
15) Dallas
16) San Diego
17) Houston

Class D-
18) Raleigh
19) Cleveland
20) Austin

Class F)
The rest... because transit infrastructure is so poor or service so infrequent, or the system serves so little of the population it is just not a viable and positive option to live a car free lifestyle.

In terms of all forms of public transit and the % of use... these rankings are fairly accurate when you aggregate all the data and rank each metro/city.
Raleigh doesn't even have light rail. What happened to Charlotte and Sacramento? They both have good rail service for their size and have developed tons of t.o.d.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:11 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,288,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
Raleigh doesn't even have light rail. What happened to Charlotte and Sacramento? They both have good rail service for their size and have developed tons of t.o.d.
Also Phoenix, a decent system that is aggressively being expanded. San Jose probably should rank somewhere....and how did Minneapolis and St. Louis get left out of all of this?

Seattle has a system a little over 1/3 the size of San Diego with less than half the ridership and gets put in a class with Los Angeles (105 miles of LRT/HRT combined) for what reason again?

Some of this just seems like pick the city you like and boost it to the top with little or no supporting evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City