Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 12:46 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,175,190 times

Advertisements

Thanks for this thread, BC76. I was actually going to start a similar thread (well not in cvc though) when I stumbled upon this one.

I'm kicking around the idea of going to Acadia this summer and was also looking for small towns to spend some time in. Already been to many of the ones in Maine, but Portsmouth was definitely on the radar.

What would you folks say is the most affordable spot to post up for a week? Just a place with natural beauty, hopefully a charming downtown area to walk around with at least a handful of small shops and such. By affordable I'm just wondering if there's reasonable weekly rental homes during what's obviously peak season. From what I've seen, I should be expecting to pay like $2500 for a week in a decent home with a great location, but hoping to find something for less than that.

And of course the suggestions for things to do around Bar Harbor and Portland are huge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2021, 12:57 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,928,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Thanks for this thread, BC76. I was actually going to start a similar thread (well not in cvc though) when I stumbled upon this one.

I'm kicking around the idea of going to Acadia this summer and was also looking for small towns to spend some time in. Already been to many of the ones in Maine, but Portsmouth was definitely on the radar.

What would you folks say is the most affordable spot to post up for a week? Just a place with natural beauty, hopefully a charming downtown area to walk around with at least a handful of small shops and such. By affordable I'm just wondering if there's reasonable weekly rental homes during what's obviously peak season. From what I've seen, I should be expecting to pay like $2500 for a week in a decent home with a great location, but hoping to find something for less than that.

And of course the suggestions for things to do around Bar Harbor and Portland are huge.
Portsmouth is probably the best bet. If you move further south/outside of Maine/NH, it'll be nearly impossible to do day trips up towards Acadia.

That said, if you're set on staying in one place for the week and don't want ME and can't find what you're looking for in Portsmouth, Newburyport would be the best. Nice downtown and harbor, great beaches on plum island, plenty of spots to grab a beer or coffee.

If you've already spent a lot of time in ME, pick a town you didn't spend a lot of time in.. Bath, Camden, Ogunquit.

Old 05-11-2021, 01:03 PM

6,360 posts, read 2,905,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post

Portland is one of my favorite cities (Probably my favorite city...). Its pretty, its picturesque.. it really feels a lot bigger than it actually is.
Portland also has a really good orchestra - if you into that. The hall has a tremendous organ. Hopefully they will be having live concerts again soon.

Old 05-11-2021, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Portsmouth is probably the best bet. If you move further south/outside of Maine/NH, it'll be nearly impossible to do day trips up towards Acadia.

That said, if you're set on staying in one place for the week and don't want ME and can't find what you're looking for in Portsmouth, Newburyport would be the best. Nice downtown and harbor, great beaches on plum island, plenty of spots to grab a beer or coffee.

If you've already spent a lot of time in ME, pick a town you didn't spend a lot of time in.. Bath, Camden, Ogunquit.
I should've been more clear. Acadia can be a few days separately. Then potentially seeking a place to just hang out in that region for the work week...trying to convince some other families to join us too.

But prices during peak season are pretty high. So are rental cars (peak season + inventory shortage). Any diamonds in the rough that I'm missing? This includes the Maine towns, I have no hesitation to return to any of them to spend more time. Just have no idea on paper which ones are more affordable but still nice.

Old 05-11-2021, 02:59 PM

1,122 posts, read 927,190 times
Start at Point Judith, Matunuck, Narragansett, Newport,
Don't skip Beavertail State Park.
Next: Boston (about 1-2 months to explore)
Marblehead, Rockport, & Gloucester,
Plum Island, Hampton, Rye,
Eat at LENA'S, in (Salisbury, MA) or Browns Lobster Pound or Markey's Lobster pool, (Seabrook, NH).
*the largest numbers of lobsters ready to cook near the Atlantic Ocean
**while you eat hundreds of lobsters swim by your tables.....
get the Fisherman's platter, w/ an extra side of clams.
York, Ogunquit, & Kennebunkport,
Eat at Lobster Cove, (York, ME)
Boothbay Harbor,
Acadia National Park, ***Arey Cove occasionally can get as big as Maverick's.
Bar Harbor,
Bay of Fundy
Amen.

Last edited by odurandina; 05-11-2021 at 03:10 PM..

Old 05-11-2021, 03:25 PM

16,568 posts, read 10,653,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
Drive up to the top of Cadillac Mt.
Seconded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Qualified:

At dawn. You want to see the sunrise.
But if you can't, the view is wonderful at other times of the day too.

Jordan Pond (within Acadia National Park) is also very scenic.

I don't have any specific recommendations for Portland, but I did find it to be a really lovely city and certainly worth a visit.

And here's a thought: when you leave New York, instead of suffering the misery of I-95, suffer the misery of the LIE but then ride the Orient Point-New London Ferry.

Old 05-11-2021, 03:49 PM

11,071 posts, read 12,471,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Many options for a good donut. The best donuts around Portland, to me, can be found at a hole in the wall in Cape Elizabeth called The Cookie Jar. Old fashioned, super super dense.. The Cinnamon Rolls and Eclairs are just as spectacular.

If you're a beer drinker, grab some growlers from Maine Beer Co. as you head to Bath or Camden on the way to Acadia.

More importantly, while in Portland, make sure to stop at Bissell Brothers. Some of the best local IPAs in New England.
Maine Beer Co is great. I was looking for a place to stay one night in Freeport once and went with a cheap Best Western, which I found out when I got there happened to be right next to Maine Beer Co. Had a great night!

Old 05-11-2021, 03:59 PM

1,122 posts, read 927,190 times
Best ride back to NYC area from Maine?
Go to Springfield, MA,
then Windsor Locks, CT,
set map to N. Canaan, CT.
upon arrival set map to Poughkeepsie, NY.
for a truly outstanding, country drive.
Caution: You will hate your father and probably your mother too
after you see the beautiful, Norman Rockwell-y kinds of places along this route.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Poug...41.9242917!3e0

on many calendar days during the year, timewise,
this route is a fine alternative to the perpetual gridlock of I-84 reducing travel time/s.

Old 05-19-2021, 12:10 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,401,758 times
Stop at Bob’s Clam Hut and get a jumbo lobster roll in Kittery, ME
Attached Thumbnails
NYC to Bar Harbor and Portland, ME - Trip ideas-97c2a6b8-d5cf-4d56-931e-cf8d3cf20e6d.jpeg  

Old 05-20-2021, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I do recommend a stop in the following cities,

-Bath
What makes Bath a must see? Just curious...trying to decide between Bath and Boothbay Harbor which I notice is not recommended by you. Can you expand? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City