Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 11:06 AM
Status: "‘But who is the land for? The sun and the sand for?’" (set 11 days ago)

6,841 posts, read 6,135,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
What would you folks say is the most affordable spot to post up for a week? Just a place with natural beauty, hopefully a charming downtown area to walk around with at least a handful of small shops and such.
I don’t know for sure, but maybe Belfast or Rockland might be cheaper alternatives to Camden/Bar Harbor? Maybe Ellsworth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2021, 11:35 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,996,740 times
Hope you are not disappointed with Bar Harbor. The only thing of interest there was Cadillac Mountain. When I was there a couple of decades ago, it was the most expensive, least friendly, tourist trap I had ever been to.

Old 05-20-2021, 11:55 AM

3,898 posts, read 5,328,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I should've been more clear. Acadia can be a few days separately. Then potentially seeking a place to just hang out in that region for the work week...trying to convince some other families to join us too.

But prices during peak season are pretty high. So are rental cars (peak season + inventory shortage). Any diamonds in the rough that I'm missing? This includes the Maine towns, I have no hesitation to return to any of them to spend more time. Just have no idea on paper which ones are more affordable but still nice.
We spent a Covid month in Damariscotta, ME, and thought it was great. Really affordable, at least in the winter when we went. Alternatively, the towns that border it like Edgecomb, Newcastle also work. Close to Wiscasset, Bath, Boothbay, Camden. Which will keep you occupied pretty easily. Also, you can easily go to Portland for a day or dinner and head back for the night.

This is of course just including Maine, if you wanted to expand outside to elsewhere in New England then there are more options.

Old 05-20-2021, 09:32 PM

7,780 posts, read 10,226,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I don’t know for sure, but maybe Belfast or Rockland might be cheaper alternatives to Camden/Bar Harbor? Maybe Ellsworth?
Thanks! I actually really liked Belfast on our last visit 6 years ago. Don't remember anything about Rockland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
We spent a Covid month in Damariscotta, ME, and thought it was great. Really affordable, at least in the winter when we went. Alternatively, the towns that border it like Edgecomb, Newcastle also work. Close to Wiscasset, Bath, Boothbay, Camden. Which will keep you occupied pretty easily. Also, you can easily go to Portland for a day or dinner and head back for the night.

This is of course just including Maine, if you wanted to expand outside to elsewhere in New England then there are more options.
Nice, thanks for the rec! Bet you had an awesome experience!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City