Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 07:36 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,093,152 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a bday trip from the NYC/NNJ area to Bar Harbor in late July. It's about an 8 hour drive.

My plan is to break it up by staying in Boston the first night. Then head up to Bar Harbor the next day. Spend two nights there and explore Acadia National Park. Then head down to Portland for two nights and then back home.

I already booked some nice places to stay in Bar Harbor and Portland. But my itinerary for these days is wide open at the moment.

My question is: Are there any "must do's" while in Bar Harbor/Acadia and Portland? One of my friends in my traveling party is a bit older so can't do any overly strenuous or physically challenging activities but I still think there's plenty to do regardless.

Appreciate any ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2021, 07:52 AM

12,172 posts, read 8,046,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
I'm planning a bday trip from the NYC/NNJ area to Bar Harbor in late July. It's about an 8 hour drive.

My plan is to break it up by staying in Boston the first night. Then head up to Bar Harbor the next day. Spend two nights there and explore Acadia National Park. Then head down to Portland for two nights and then back home.

I already booked some nice places to stay in Bar Harbor and Portland. But my itinerary for these days is wide open at the moment.

My question is: Are there any "must do's" while in Bar Harbor/Acadia and Portland? One of my friends in my traveling party is a bit older so can't do any overly strenuous or physically challenging activities but I still think there's plenty to do regardless.

Appreciate any ideas.
I do recommend a stop in the following cities,
-Ogunquit
-Bath
-York
-Kennebunkport
-Rockport MA
-Gloucester MA
-Newburyport MA
-Portsmouth NH

Portland is one of my favorite cities (Probably my favorite city...). Its pretty, its picturesque.. it really feels a lot bigger than it actually is.

1) Go to Fort Williams Park. You'll get the best pictures.. Lighthouses, just everything... its a must. Do it. Don't ask questions. Its amazing.
2) Portland ME is a foodie city. LOTS of good restaurants. Not sure if you are a fie dining, or grab-and-go.. or a typical casual dine out person.. but Portland has it all.
3) Donuts are huge in New England. Go to Holy Donuts.

Skip Old Orchard Beach. Its just the Jersey Shore North. If that was on your radar, its probably best to kick it off.

But yeah, add either Portsmouth NH, Newburyport MA, Rockport MA, Ogunquit, Kennebunkport, Camden or Bath ME to your itinerary. Research a bit of them all and see what one works/fits the bill best. All are fantastic to add. The best part of NE in my opinion are the little towns between the Cape and Acadia.

Old 05-11-2021, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
-Ogunquit
-Bath
-York
-Kennebunkport
-Rockport MA
-Gloucester MA
-Newburyport MA
-Portsmouth NH

Portland is one of my favorite cities (Probably my favorite city...). Its pretty, its picturesque.. it really feels a lot bigger than it actually is.

1) Go to Fort Williams Park. You'll get the best pictures.. Lighthouses, just everything... its a must. Do it. Don't ask questions. Its amazing.
2) Portland ME is a foodie city. LOTS of good restaurants. Not sure if you are a fie dining, or grab-and-go.. or a typical casual dine out person.. but Portland has it all.

Skip Old Orchard Beach. Its just the Jersey Shore North. If that was on your radar, its probably best to kick it off.

But yeah, add either Portsmouth NH, Newburyport MA, Rockport MA, Ogunquit, Kennebunkport, Camden or Bath ME to your itinerary. Research a bit of them all and see what one works/fits the bill best. All are fantastic to add. The best part of NE in my opinion are the little towns between the Cape and Acadia.
Exactly the type of suggestions I needed for Portland. Thanks! Regarding food, I'm all of the above so good to know I'll have options in any category.

I've done Ogunquit, Bath, York and Kennebunkport so won't be stopping in any of those on this trip. Portsmouth, maybe, since we pass it crossing into Maine I believe.

Now I just need some Acadia/Bar Harbor recs on things to do and see.

Old 05-11-2021, 08:04 AM

822 posts, read 859,658 times
Drive up to the top of Cadillac Mt.

Old 05-11-2021, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
Good one and will do, thx!

Old 05-11-2021, 08:54 AM

24,560 posts, read 18,299,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post

Qualified:

At dawn. You want to see the sunrise.

To me, the must-see Maine requires a boat. Merchant's Row off Stonington on a clear August day is almost a religious experience. I've sailed it a couple dozen times in my lifetime and there's nothing else quite like it.

Old 05-11-2021, 10:07 AM

11,074 posts, read 12,474,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
-Ogunquit
-Bath
-York
-Kennebunkport
-Rockport MA
-Gloucester MA
-Newburyport MA
-Portsmouth NH

Definitely Rockport and Portsmouth I would say. Unfortunately, that main Holy Donut location in Old Port closed in the fall. I know there are a few other locations but none as convenient as that.

Old 05-11-2021, 10:29 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,931,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Definitely Rockport and Portsmouth I would say. Unfortunately, that main Holy Donut location in Old Port closed in the fall. I know there are a few other locations but none as convenient as that.
Many options for a good donut. The best donuts around Portland, to me, can be found at a hole in the wall in Cape Elizabeth called The Cookie Jar. Old fashioned, super super dense.. The Cinnamon Rolls and Eclairs are just as spectacular.

If you're a beer drinker, grab some growlers from Maine Beer Co. as you head to Bath or Camden on the way to Acadia.

More importantly, while in Portland, make sure to stop at Bissell Brothers. Some of the best local IPAs in New England.

Old 05-11-2021, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Qualified:

At dawn. You want to see the sunrise.

To me, the must-see Maine requires a boat. Merchant's Row off Stonington on a clear August day is almost a religious experience. I've sailed it a couple dozen times in my lifetime and there's nothing else quite like it.
Nice suggestions, thanks. Yeah sailing off Maine sounds amazing. I'd love to add that to my itinerary although one of the people I'm going with gets very sea sick so maybe some meds beforehand would help them. We'll see.

Old 05-11-2021, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Many options for a good donut. The best donuts around Portland, to me, can be found at a hole in the wall in Cape Elizabeth called The Cookie Jar. Old fashioned, super super dense.. The Cinnamon Rolls and Eclairs are just as spectacular.

If you're a beer drinker, grab some growlers from Maine Beer Co. as you head to Bath or Camden on the way to Acadia.

More importantly, while in Portland, make sure to stop at Bissell Brothers. Some of the best local IPAs in New England.
Huge foodie here so will definitely heed your suggestion on this. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City