Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Preferable State: Nebraska or Iowa
I'd prefer NEBRASKA 23 34.85%
I'd prefer IOWA 18 27.27%
NEITHER, leave it to the cows/deers and cornfields 15 22.73%
BOTH, nice peaceful states 10 15.15%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2021, 04:24 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,126,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Didn't know Des Moines had a waterfall in it's downtown with a pedestrian bridge crossing over it,

Also didn't know about a Disneyland of Iowa?
https://youtu.be/g3W9Lh7mY5k
Adventureland Park (The Iowa "Disneyland")

Seems like Des Moines is quite the underrated City
All those plains cities punch above their weight. Cedar Rapids has a cooler downtown buildings than Colorado Springs, which is like 3 times bigger in population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2021, 05:33 PM

253 posts, read 197,718 times
Iowa.
Hilly. River Road areas.
Closer to the east.

Old 05-31-2021, 09:24 AM

824 posts, read 711,917 times
I’ve pointed this out in another thread, but I really don’t think Iowa is super similar to Nebraska. I think Iowa shares a lot more similarities with Missouri, Illinois, and Minnesota than Nebraska.

They are geographically different, historically different, development patterns are different. Omaha has always been a lot more dominant of a city, yet you also find way more desolate areas of Nebraska.

I think the only people who think that Nebraska and Iowa are interchangeable are people who haven’t been to those states.

Old 05-31-2021, 11:58 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeasterner1970 View Post
I’ve pointed this out in another thread, but I really don’t think Iowa is super similar to Nebraska. I think Iowa shares a lot more similarities with Missouri, Illinois, and Minnesota than Nebraska.

They are geographically different, historically different, development patterns are different. Omaha has always been a lot more dominant of a city, yet you also find way more desolate areas of Nebraska.

I think the only people who think that Nebraska and Iowa are interchangeable are people who haven’t been to those states.
I don’t find Iowa particularly similar to Minnesota or Missouri. Minnesota and Missouri epitomize the Upper and Lower Midwest respectively and aside from the far northern and southern fringes of the state, Iowa does not really identify as being either Upper or Lower Midwestern. I can however see more of a similarity between eastern Iowa and northern Illinois, outside of Chicago. Both are greener, more densely populated and wetter than either western Iowa or eastern Nebraska.

Eastern Nebraska and western Iowa are similar culturally and geographically, but just as eastern Iowa is distinct from western Iowa, western Nebraska is equally if not more distinct than eastern Nebraska. However western Nebraska is so incredibly remote and sparely populated that it’s rarely discussed in a national context, although geographically and historically it’s the most interesting part of the state (think of the Wild West days of the late 1800s with bison roaming the plains and old frontier forts and various Indian wars)

Old 05-31-2021, 07:15 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,861,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Preferable States Hits Rural America. MOOooooo, Which of these largely Agricultural States also Interlaced with a Maize of Cities is your fortay and to your liking, Give your Opinion and Let's get to the Results

Preferable State: Nebraska or Iowa

- Preferred Location
- Brighter Future
- Best Major Cities
- Best Secondary Cities
- Topography & Landscapes
- Economy
- Higher Education
- Weather
- The State I Prefer is?
I personally prefer Nebraska over Iowa by a wide margin.

Prefered Location: Iowa.

Iowa has close proximity to a large percentage of the Midwest. The Quad Cities in Iowa have close proximity to a large percentage of the Midwest

Brighter Future: Nebraska.

Both states have a very good bright future, but Omaha is an economic powerhouse for the population.

The amount of businesses that have Omaha-roots, are owned by a Omaha based congolmerates or are headquartered in Omaha is likely one of the highest concentrations in the world per-capita.

Des Moines does very well also but it seems very insurance-centric which are careers that aren't location centric.

Best Major Cities: Nebraska.

Omaha/Lincoln with 1.3 million people has the amenities of metros several times there size.

A majority of Iowa cities tend to be good across the board but what Omaha/Lincoln are turning into is excellent in my opinion.

I think the corridor of Omaha/Lincoln/Bellevue/Seward/Papillion/La Vista is one of the highest quality of life areas if one does not include the bitter cold winters.

Best Secounday Cities: Iowa.

Iowa has Dubuque, Sioux City, Davenport, Betterndorf, Cedar Falls, Council Bluffs which are good cities across the board.

Kearney, Nebraska is excellent, but a majority of other secoundary cities in Nebraska have not impressed like Iowa secoundary cities.

Economy: Nebraska

Omaha an absolute economic powerhouse for it's size. The market valuations of Omaha based conglomerates, corporations and companies is likely one of the top 10 highest per-capita of anywhere worldwide for metro area of less than a million people.

Omaha has Nebraska Medical Center which is the size of a neighborhood and has a skyline nearly on par with some cities of a million plus population.

Iowa has a good economy, very good in some areas like Iowa City, Cedar Rapids and Des Moines.

Weather: Nebraska

Nebraska overall has a slightly warmer winter. There are some places in Western Nebraska that can have fairly warm days occasionally in the winter.

Iowa summers are a little bit cooler temperature wise generally.

Iowa is much wetter state overall than Nebraska. Omaha and Des Moines are both fairly wet, but much of Central and Western Nebraska is semi-arid.

Old 06-08-2021, 09:45 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,998 times
I'm actually a little surprised NE is in the lead in this poll, even though I actually voted for it. My guess is that the city of Omaha is what tipped it in its favor (and it is definitely one of the more underappreciated cities in the region), and perhaps more competent elected leadership (Nebraska's governor and congressional delegates are definitely more low-key than Iowa's, and probably a good thing too)

Old 06-08-2021, 11:21 AM

1,351 posts, read 893,471 times
Omaha is bigger than Des Moines, with more amenities, but I think Des Moines is a more fun place to visit and "cooler" for lack of a better term.

Old 06-08-2021, 10:53 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,881,270 times
I picked Nebraska based on climate and topography. Omaha is nice, but I'd stick to the northwestern part of the state (Chadron, Scottsbluff, Valentine, or Crawford). It's just too humid east of US-83 for my tastes, and the northwestern part of the state is more scenic. I've got a job I can work remotely so if I were to move, I wouldn't be stuck in Omaha or Lincoln.

I've already lived in the Upper Midwest (Wisconsin), and if I relocated to that part of the country again, it would be Wisconsin or Minnesota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City