Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2021, 10:01 AM

291 posts, read 201,786 times

Advertisements

These two cities appear to be my best options for having close proximity to NYC as a remote worker, along with everything else on the East coast. I don't like the idea of paying 4% city tax to NYC as well as the higher rents.

I just wanted to ask, it seems like decent one bedroom apartments with good finishes in a high rise building are out of my price range ($2250-$2500 all in).I've been searching on Streeteasy and I've been having a bit of difficulty. Am I correct in that assessment?

If that is the case I'm considering just trying to find a studio in NYC for less than $2000 which will offset the taxes.

That being said, is there any particular reason either of these cities is better than the other? I am concerned about gym closures due to lockdowns as well as proximity to NYC, along with late night food options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2021, 10:11 AM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugofpeace View Post
These two cities appear to be my best options for having close proximity to NYC as a remote worker, along with everything else on the East coast.

Long Island City is in New York City in western edge of Queens one of city five borough. Long Island City is better option because already in city it 10 min train ride to Midtown Manhattan. Jersey City is cheaper than Long Island City it better by waterfront.

Old 05-29-2021, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Long Island City is in New York City in western edge of Queens one of city five borough. Long Island City is better option because already in city it 10 min train ride to Midtown Manhattan. Jersey City is cheaper than Long Island City it better by waterfront.
Oh.. so I'd still be paying the city tax in Long Island?

Old 05-29-2021, 10:39 AM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
Oh.. so I'd still be paying the city tax in Long Island?
Yes you have pay NYC 4% tax if live anywhere in the city in additional to New York State tax

Old 05-29-2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Yes you have pay NYC 4% tax if live anywhere in the city in additional to New York State tax
Well shoot, that basically means my only option is Jersey City.. might as well look for a studio in NYC then

Old 05-29-2021, 11:33 AM

37,123 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Well shoot, that basically means my only option is Jersey City.. might as well look for a studio in NYC then

Sure, but LIC is generally the better area compared to any of Jersey City's neighborhoods, so you sort of get what you pay for. Jersey City neighborhoods main advantage I'd say is that it's a faster commute to downtown Manhattan (though a slower commute to Midtown).

Old 05-29-2021, 11:34 AM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
What about Hoboken or even Weehawken?

Old 05-29-2021, 11:50 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
i lived in (adjacent) to lic

JC>>LIC

Old 05-29-2021, 12:13 PM

1,675 posts, read 1,080,928 times
For the OP, LIC and Long Island are two different areas.

Geographically, Brooklyn and Queens are part of Long Island. But in modern times and for every day working and living purposes, Long Island is the two suburban counties (Nassau and Suffolk) to the east of NYC. Just FYI because it can be confusing if you're not from around here.

Based on your criteria why not check out Astoria? More lively than LIC. Good spot.

On the Hudson waterfront side, JC and even back to JC Heights are good. Also as already mentioned check out Hoboken and Weehawken but also West New York, Guttenberg and even Union City. All within 25 minutes of Midtown by bus.

Old 05-29-2021, 12:35 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Sure, but LIC is generally the better area compared to any of Jersey City's neighborhoods, so you sort of get what you pay for. Jersey City neighborhoods main advantage I'd say is that it's a faster commute to downtown Manhattan (though a slower commute to Midtown).
Even the Waterfront area? Not so sure about that. Safe, clean, beautiful buildings, water, and one of the best views of the Manhattan skyline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City