Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2021, 12:39 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,755,737 times

Advertisements

Based on the criteria I’d go with NoVa. It’s hard to ignore that it’s part of a much larger, international and diverse area than the other options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sportsfan View Post
Agree. That was a really odd/weird statement. I've never heard anyone refer to Denver as being Midwestern.
People want Denver to be the Midwest so badly and idk why that is.

Last edited by Mezter; 06-02-2021 at 01:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2021, 02:50 PM

12,926 posts, read 9,730,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Based on the criteria I’d go with NoVa. It’s hard to ignore that it’s part of a much larger, international and diverse area than the other options.

Denver is regarded as pretty cool and I think a lot of midwesterners want that association. This happens in a lot of different situations. Some Atlantans here believe Atlanta is the east coast. It's not. A lot of posters here state that DC is in the south. It's that association that's coveted, sometimes to raise your region's profile but often times to denigrate the referenced city as well.

Old 06-02-2021, 10:37 PM

2,514 posts, read 3,576,698 times
Haha, I see I've angered a mob of toponym pedantics. What I should've said is that it's a middle-American city, indisputably sitting upon the Great Plains, 1,000 miles from the ocean. (To my Eastern eyes, the Great Plains are just as Midwestern as the Great Lakes.) And I'm not the only one to call Colorado part of the Midwest; my college roommate (from Denver's eastern exurbs) did, and so did these people:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/colo...at-plains.html
https://www.vox.com/2016/2/16/10889440/midwest-analysis

Just as with the beach and coastal cities, the humdrum reality of metro Denver is that most people have to drive a while to get into the mountains. Plenty of Eastern metros, from DC up through NYC, abut the Appalachian mountains, but nobody is sitting at their computer in Dubai thinking of them as exciting "mountain" cities.

Old 06-03-2021, 03:33 PM

16,518 posts, read 26,465,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
Haha, I see I've angered a mob of toponym pedantics. What I should've said is that it's a middle-American city, indisputably sitting upon the Great Plains, 1,000 miles from the ocean. (To my Eastern eyes, the Great Plains are just as Midwestern as the Great Lakes.) And I'm not the only one to call Colorado part of the Midwest; my college roommate (from Denver's eastern exurbs) did, and so did these people:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/colo...at-plains.html
https://www.vox.com/2016/2/16/10889440/midwest-analysis

Just as with the beach and coastal cities, the humdrum reality of metro Denver is that most people have to drive a while to get into the mountains. Plenty of Eastern metros, from DC up through NYC, abut the Appalachian mountains, but nobody is sitting at their computer in Dubai thinking of them as exciting "mountain" cities.
Denver is at the edge of the plains. Abutting the mountains.
Plenty of people get things wrong every day.

Most people have to drive a while to get anywhere in their city, whether or not its mountains, downtown, the stadium, or the airport.

Old 06-03-2021, 03:47 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,999,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I guarantee you the vast majority of people don't care; they see it being a city out in the middle of nowhere.

On this site, there seem to be just as many people wanting Denver to be a West Coast city as there are those who claim it's Midwest.

Anyway, NoVA over Raleigh (boring) and Denver (overpriced and overrated).

Old 06-03-2021, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
I guarantee you the vast majority of people don't care; they see it being a city out in the middle of nowhere.

On this site, there seem to be just as many people wanting Denver to be a West Coast city as there are those who claim it's Midwest.

The notion that people want a place to be something is really wierd. It's probably many other things that make people equate Denver to west coast cities.

Old 06-03-2021, 05:07 PM

8,948 posts, read 7,005,633 times
I'd say it's a mix of one Boise (4x the size), one Seattle, and one Kansas City.

Its closest peer might be MSP.

Old 06-03-2021, 05:21 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,755,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Denver is regarded as pretty cool and I think a lot of midwesterners want that association. This happens in a lot of different situations. Some Atlantans here believe Atlanta is the east coast. It's not. A lot of posters here state that DC is in the south. It's that association that's coveted, sometimes to raise your region's profile but often times to denigrate the referenced city as well.
This makes sense. Still don’t know why that would be since the Midwest has some pretty cool places in it’s own right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post

Well anyone who thinks it’s the West Coast is just as wrong as those who think it’s the Midwest lol. And clearly being in the middle of nowhere only really helped Denver so I don’t see how that could be a negative honestly.

Old 06-03-2021, 05:55 PM

4,203 posts, read 2,917,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
East Coast states are those along the Atlantic coast. The two close calls are Vermont, which gets in due to location, and Pennsylvania which has access to the Atlantic Ocean and Philly’s other ties to the region. East Coast cities, broadly, are cities in East Coast states. Pittsburgh is probably a judgment call for most people. Atlanta is not.

Old 06-03-2021, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I'd say it's a mix of one Boise (4x the size), one Seattle, and one Kansas City.

Its closest peer might be MSP.
I haven't been to Minneapolis but Seattle and Denver seem like twins to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City