Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2011, 08:56 PM

7 posts, read 19,305 times

Advertisements

Ive just recently relocated to Grand Prairie but currently living with family. I work in Arlington off 360 and am in the process of finding an apartment. Im in my late 30s and I have a one year old so safety is a BIG concern as we will be living alone.What are some decent areas where I can get a 2bd apartment without paying a whole lot.Around 900 as a max.My commute from Grand Prairie isnt that bad so Ive also considered Grand Prairie as an option. Im not sure what other areas are not a long commute.Thanks all!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 08:57 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
don't know about price per se
check out a crime map for arlington

would think that the area along Green Oaks E or W of Collins would be fairly safe

Old 04-17-2011, 12:32 PM

178 posts, read 399,132 times
as a general rule, stay away from anything east of cooper street in arlington. central arlington east of cooper is, for the most part, a crime ridden mess. used to think south arlington east of cooper had some okay areas, but a lot of shootings have taken place in apartments there, a cop was killed several months ago responding to a domestic disturbance call along arbrook.

i would suggest living on the grand prairie side of 360 south of 20, lots of new housing construction and apartment complexes have gone up there. grand prairie side of 360 north of 20 is a big no no, area is very shady south of pioneer parkway and north of mayfield. if you dont mind the commute, check out the woodland west or pantego areas on the western side of town. both are older, more established areas of town, but are quiet and not as shady

arlington as a whole has become pretty shady. even the nice neighborhoods around martin high or in interlochen have their issues. grew up there, so i know the area well.

Last edited by Eric Fred Norris; 04-17-2011 at 12:43 PM..

Old 03-14-2012, 01:09 AM

382 posts, read 420,908 times
Disclaimer - yes, I realize this post is a little old, but still:

Much of Arlington is less than it could have been, but it has *NOT* become shady "as a whole". There are bad areas, and there are good areas, like any town. FWIW, I dated a girl that lived off New York @ Lovers in Arlington (well east of Cooper, and supposedly one of the worst areas of Arlington) and never felt unsafe there. Not the greatest area, but never felt in danger or out of place.

Don't believe the hype of ridiculous posts such as the above. Arlington was not the best-planned city in places, but neither is rife with shot-up, burned out houses, like "south of 8 mile" nor is it the "lower ninth ward". Come on.

It's a big city, with big-city issues, yet because of the lack of a skyline (I guess), it gets lumped in with the small bedroom communities in the area. The area feeding Martin is a very nice, albeit older, neighborhood, and Interlochen is $250k+ custom homes on a private lake.

It's funny, I don't hear people condeming Northwood Hills (an affluent Dallas subdivision) as a hell-hole because of the millions of apartments off Preston, Belt Line, and Coit in less than a one-mile radius (even though you'll find no shortage of people willing to tell you how bad Woodhaven is, even with an almost-identical makeup). The double standard is amazing.

For that matter, are people just to the east of Preinct Line and north of Cheek-Sparker somehow magically insulated from the changes taking place in NRH/HEB? No.

Just do your homework, do a couple of "practice commutes", see if there are people jogging in the morning/evening, and go from there.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:13 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
Thumbs up I am OK with Arlington!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naterator View Post
Disclaimer - yes, I realize this post is a little old, but still:

Much of Arlington is less than it could have been, but it has *NOT* become shady "as a whole". There are bad areas, and there are good areas, like any town. FWIW, I dated a girl that lived off New York @ Lovers in Arlington (well east of Cooper, and supposedly one of the worst areas of Arlington) and never felt unsafe there. Not the greatest area, but never felt in danger or out of place.

Don't believe the hype of ridiculous posts such as the above. Arlington was not the best-planned city in places, but neither is rife with shot-up, burned out houses, like "south of 8 mile" nor is it the "lower ninth ward". Come on.

It's a big city, with big-city issues, yet because of the lack of a skyline (I guess), it gets lumped in with the small bedroom communities in the area. The area feeding Martin is a very nice, albeit older, neighborhood, and Interlochen is $250k+ custom homes on a private lake.

It's funny, I don't hear people condeming Northwood Hills (an affluent Dallas subdivision) as a hell-hole because of the millions of apartments off Preston, Belt Line, and Coit in less than a one-mile radius (even though you'll find no shortage of people willing to tell you how bad Woodhaven is, even with an almost-identical makeup). The double standard is amazing.

For that matter, are people just to the east of Preinct Line and north of Cheek-Sparker somehow magically insulated from the changes taking place in NRH/HEB? No.

Just do your homework, do a couple of "practice commutes", see if there are people jogging in the morning/evening, and go from there.
Arlington has a lot to offer! Some of the best priced -- and nice! -- residential areas in the metromess. Also many of the individual schools are great. Its proximity to Fort Worth and Dallas is especially attractive. The parks & recreation dept. offers great programs. Shopping on the chain-store level is abundant. The many parks and walking/biking trails are just fabulous! I love many of the neighborhoods in NW and SW Arlington; the east side not so much. Old central Arlington has some charming neighborhoods, too. The huge fall down is the lack of public transportation....and the road work that never seems to finish and always seems to need rework. Keep defending it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas