Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 02:05 PM

211 posts, read 136,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfitz1010 View Post
I’d love to see examples of people claiming Denver to be the next Seattle. Wanting to implement positive attributes of another city is one thing but saying a city is trying to be another that’s literally further away than Mississippi seems strange.

In my time living in Denver there were a fair share of residence that like and wanted to move to Seattle. But there were just as many who obsessed over AZ, TX and CA cities. So is Denver trying to be all of them at once?
Actually, yes! lol. I think why Denver has so much of an identity crisis, is that its residents, business community, & policy makers want it to be different things - especially true in the constant battle between Colorado "natives" and newcomers.

Not the TX cities though...other than Austin sometimes, I don't hear much love for Texas around here.

I will say there are certain parts of the city (Capitol Hill, Cheeseman Park, pockets on the northside) where I feel like the community is okay with Denver just being...Denver. And would've been just as happy in this place circa 2006, before it was pseudo bougie.

Last edited by boomtown boi; 06-04-2021 at 02:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2021, 02:22 PM

503 posts, read 799,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtown boi View Post
Actually, yes! lol. I think why Denver has so much of an identity crisis, is that its residents, business community, & policy makers want it to be different things - especially true in the constant battle between Colorado "natives" and newcomers.

Not the TX cities though...other than Austin, I don't hear much love for Texas around here.
Interesting. I’ve always thought Denver’s brand/identity was tied into the image of Colorado as a whole. I do agree about the navies vs transplants. Seems like Natives want to keep things the way they are and transplants want to make it their own version of where they came from.

I recall a lot of people wanting to move to/visit Houston and especially Dallas, along with Austin. Could be just a common desire within the circles I ran with though.

Last edited by Gfitz1010; 06-04-2021 at 02:33 PM..

Old 06-04-2021, 02:45 PM

12,807 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtown boi View Post
Oh trust, it's way more than one person. And yes I sense that everyone from Mayor Hancock to the yuppie business owners, realtors, and developers would love for Denver to be 'the next Seattle' or claim that this city 'is following in the footsteps of West Coast cities', neither of which are really true other than the spiking cost of housing.

Per my post a while back (and sorry for triggering the people who hate hearing it), once you take away the outdoorsy transplants who were priced off the West Coast, Denver feels much more like a midwestern city than it does Seattle.
A reason the University of Colorado left for the Pac ten is they wanted to be associated with the west coast schools, not Texas and the plains schools.

Denver doesn't feel midwestern to me though. But, a ton of their transplants are from the midwest. Great city btw, just not Seattle.

Old 06-04-2021, 02:55 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,510,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
A reason the University of Colorado left for the Pac ten is they wanted to be associated with the west coast schools, not Texas and the plains schools.

Denver doesn't feel midwestern to me though. But, a ton of their transplants are from the midwest. Great city btw, just not Seattle.

IMO as a complete outsider looking in, Colorado's, and by extension Denver's, image is more associated with the west opposed to many places closer geographically. Basically very progressive, outdoorsy, and laid back. That's the image at least.

Old 06-04-2021, 03:41 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,879,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith32 View Post
Not a conservative whatsoever, in fact most of my friends would call me at least liberal friendly and my opinion on Denver is not politically motivated at all. Just lived in Colorado for 24 years (Boulder County) and watched Denver grow from a relatively decent and fun city by the mountains into a heavily polluted, overly expensive, crowded, crime ridden, dingy, homeless hot spot. Denver used to be reasonably expensive and not terribly crowded. Now it's horribly crowded, the traffic sucks, and it's one of the most expensive inland cities in the nation. Oh, with air pollution on par with the LA metro. If you don't believe me... https://denver.cbslocal.com/wp-conte...1/DSC_0051.jpg
Nice cherry-picked pic of the air quality. It's gotten worse, but, for the record it's much better than it was in the 80s and early 90s.

I moved to the Front Range in 1992, left in '99, came back in 2011. The Denver of today IMNSHO is infinitely better than the Denver of the early 90s. I've been to the city before Coors Field, Elitch's, and Union Station. I remember when LoDo was nothing but a bunch of rundown warehouses, North Park Hill was gangbanger central and you only went to "RiNo" (aka Five Points) to score drugs and/or get capped.

FWIW, all the things you're complaining about haven't stopped people from moving here. They just completed part of the tunnel portion of the Central 70 project, and, even though I think it was a waste of money, it will help the northern part of the city immensely once it's done.

The city has started the renovation of the National Western Stock Show Grounds and Denver Coliseum, and once that's finished, I fully expect the State Fair to move to Denver from Pueblo (because, let's face it, the fairgrounds are a dump, and nobody wants to go to Pueblo - especially in late August).

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith32 View Post
I have spent much time in DFW over the years, even more now that I live relatively nearby. This is a situation where OP is likely going to need to compromise on what they want or shuffle around their priorities a little. Dallas lakes are far from the worst you could find, plus there's tons of biking and hiking along the Trinity River and elsewhere.
And I lived there for over a decade. I know how crappy the summertime climate is, and I know how overrated the lakes are. If you own a boat they're fine, but they're total garbage for swimming. The water is so murky you can't see your hand in front of your face, and you come out coated in algae slime and grit.

If you're not a hiking snob, then DFW's trails will suffice, but with very few exceptions the offerings are middling at best. There are some ok trails in Cedar Ridge and around Lake Grapevine, but in a place like Denver they'd be nothing special.

FWIW, DFW's natural setting is borderline awful. I've said it many times, but it's Kansas with more trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City