Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2021, 01:12 PM

2 posts, read 1,980 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to move back into the US from the Dubai (Indian National) after 13 years, and this time with a wife and 2 kids 8 & 10. After eliminating, Seattle (Gloomy, Expensive), Austin (Humid, Traffic, Drought), San Diego (Expensive) & Columbus OH (Less International), we are down to Raleigh Triangle area, Arlington NoVa, and Denver. In my past life, I have lived in Columbus OH, DC, New York City and Bay Area.

Looking for:
Growing Economy: I plan to start my own business in the construction and maintenance area so I'm looking for an area with a growing economy and a friendly business climate
Cost of Living: I need my Dubai savings to have maximum buying power. Can't blow it all up on a small SoCal house. At a minimum, I should be able to buy a large 4 bedroom house in a good school district for around $750K
Climate: My kids have never seen the snow or lived in sub 40F weather. We like the outdoors but have never been skiing or major hiking so these should not be a major factor. But we are also tired of Dubai’s hot and humid climate. California weather would have been ideal will definitely run out my savings fast. We do look forward to having 4 seasons.
Centrally located: Should we well connected for convenient International travel
People: We have friends in DC area but have neither visited nor know anyone in the other 2, so people should be friendly and welcoming
Things to do: We want to live in an area that is vibrant and global with plenty to do indoors (unique restaurants, cafes) as well as outdoors (parks etc).

Would appreciate some advice here. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2021, 02:31 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,316,102 times
I’d rule out NoVA on account of the COL, it’s much more expensive than the other two. Raleigh and Denver are both great options. I’d take Denver between them, but a case could be made for Raleigh.

To add to your list, I think the northern suburbs of Atlanta like Alpharetta would be a good choice. It’s far enough north to have 4 seasons and far enough south to not have much snow. Plus, Atlanta has the busiest US airport so international travel from there is ideal.

Old 05-29-2021, 02:31 PM

830 posts, read 1,022,238 times
I think Raleigh is your #1 among the areas you’re comparing. And if you’re worried about humidity, traffic and expense, which seems to be a concern for you, you may want to eliminate Northern VA and DC from consideration. Raleigh will be a more reasonable option.

Old 05-29-2021, 02:36 PM

8,884 posts, read 6,907,183 times
For international connectivity, NoVa is far above the others. But all seem likely to be good economically going forward. Denver would have low humidity.

Old 05-29-2021, 08:30 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,138 posts, read 7,597,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishyrish View Post
I'm planning to move back into the US from the Dubai (Indian National) after 13 years, and this time with a wife and 2 kids 8 & 10. After eliminating, Seattle (Gloomy, Expensive), Austin (Humid, Traffic, Drought), San Diego (Expensive) & Columbus OH (Less International), we are down to Raleigh Triangle area, Arlington NoVa, and Denver. In my past life, I have lived in Columbus OH, DC, New York City and Bay Area.

Looking for:
Growing Economy: All 3 are growing well
Cost of Living: Raleigh
Climate: Probably Arlington
Centrally located: Arlington/Nova, but Denver is good
People: Toss up, with friends in DC that's already a plus.
Things to do: both NOVA and Denver here.

Would appreciate some advice here. Thanks!
Answers above. Toss up between Arlington or Denver. Raleigh, while very nice, is really just saving you cost.

Old 05-31-2021, 06:06 AM

66 posts, read 58,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Answers above. Toss up between Arlington or Denver. Raleigh, while very nice, is really just saving you cost.
Arlington a little too cool, I moved from up arount there further south. Yes Raleigh a little hotter but overall, less punishing imo. Coming from Dubai he will definitely agree

Although both Nova/Denver more cosmopolitan and makes me wonder about balance between cosmo vs weather, I can't work that one out myself, hard choice smh

Old 05-31-2021, 08:50 AM

5,366 posts, read 5,154,973 times
Raleigh or Atlanta burbs. They check all your boxes the best. If you're job isn't dependent on being in NOVA, I wouldn't be there, you can get that same experience elsewhere for cheaper and with less congestion.

Like 1/3 of the year is sub 40F lows in Denver, just FYI. It's gotten the snowiest big city award a couple of times; it's a great spot if you like winter. If you don't, that's a long 6 months to bear through potential snow, icy roads, and cold nights. Also don't know how Austin got ruled out for drought but Denver didn't, it's drier. DIA is great and it's centrally located, but that's about it for your requirements. Other cities have better restaurants, better houses, more indoor activities, and a more international scene.

I don't think anywhere in the US except maybe South Florida would come close to Dubai levels of hot and humid. It's almost June now in Atlanta and we still haven't had a very humid day above 90. I wouldn't put too much weight on the weather factor, I'd pick the city that fits the other requirements best.

Houston area checks the boxes as well, not as much outdoors stuff to do as Atlanta or NOVA and a little worse weather, but better at moving people around and more cost effective and it's like the best restaurant capital of the US.

Old 05-31-2021, 02:43 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,182,413 times
This all depends on what balance you seek and how you prioritize your factors. I kinda feel like Arlington will be your best option, where your family would be most comfortable and you'd find the most opportunities. But IF Denver or Raleigh are comfortable enough for you, then the cost savings would be well worth it over Arlington.

Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston are wild cards to consider with some obvious pros and cons. I just mention them because of their large Indian presence, business-friendly environments, and booming populations with tons of construction.

Old 06-01-2021, 01:12 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,539,290 times
Growing Economy: All have growing economies, but Raleigh/Durham is more so.

Cost of Living: Raleigh/Durham wins this hands down. Not even close.

Climate: Overall, Raleigh/Durham

Centrally located: NoVa

People: People will generally be more friendly in the Raleigh/Durham area. But, if you move there (or anywhere) and don't acclimate to the area respectfully, you won't be "welcomed". Too many newcomers make this mistake, then whine later than natives "don't like newcomers". The responsibility is on YOU in this case.

Things to do: DC/NoVa, in this case by a pretty wide margin. Then Denver. Then an even wider margin. IMO, this is Raleigh/Durham's achilles heel. For a metro of 2 million, there are very few unique recreational assets.

Overall, I'd go with NoVa.

Old 06-01-2021, 01:34 PM

12,192 posts, read 8,067,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Growing Economy: All have growing economies, but Raleigh/Durham is more so.

Cost of Living: Raleigh/Durham wins this hands down. Not even close.

Climate: Overall, Raleigh/Durham

Centrally located: NoVa

People: People will generally be more friendly in the Raleigh/Durham area. But, if you move there (or anywhere) and don't acclimate to the area respectfully, you won't be "welcomed". Too many newcomers make this mistake, then whine later than natives "don't like newcomers". The responsibility is on YOU in this case.

Things to do: DC/NoVa, in this case by a pretty wide margin. Then Denver. Then an even wider margin. IMO, this is Raleigh/Durham's achilles heel. For a metro of 2 million, there are very few unique recreational assets.

Overall, I'd go with NoVa.
That is not true about Raleigh/Durham. RDU is a very well educated, affluent, vibrant fast growing metropolitan area in the south. RDU has the lowest crime rate of any major MSA south of DC as well. I have a very well established friend group in RDU now and know many people who have moved down there.. they all are doing great and have found multiple niches.

The liability is on those who don't assimilate, and if you can't fit in, in Raleigh... probably one of the most tolerant metro areas Ive been too.. you will 100% have a hard time fitting in anywhere else. There's a group for everyone. Whether you are a country boy, LGBT, a tech bro, a post-frat guy etc.

For OP, IMO .. RDU is an upscale younger Charlotte. But that is just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City