Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which major secondary city is greater?
Bellevue, WA 33 50.77%
Arlington, VA 32 49.23%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 07:11 AM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 5 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 976,158 times

Advertisements

Arlington looks more dense and urban.

I really never heard of Bellevue, turns out it is large and has many shiny high rises. I've spent most of my life in central PA and I'm finding that the PNW has many cities I have not heard of in my life until recently doing research (Bellevue, Bremerton, Bellingham, Kennewick, Medford, Bend). Probably a function of distance.

Anyway, I would choose Arlington since it is immediately next to DC, which has so many things to do. DC is a really cool city (aggressive drivers though).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2021, 09:23 AM

2,814 posts, read 2,279,917 times
My fairly uninformed impression is that Bellevue is a fairly conventional suburb with a growing and walkable downtown.

Arlington is a little more of a streetcar suburb with built-up urban zones along the metro. So while it isn't a Camden/Cambridge/Jersey City inner urban city, it is more urban and connected to the central city than Bellevue is. Maybe Bellevue is a little more a cross between Bathesda MD and Reston Va. A conventional suburb with a modern down.

Old 06-04-2021, 10:01 AM

503 posts, read 799,599 times
Really surprised the poll is so close. Arlington offers much more imo. I feel like people get blinded by the shiny new buildings in Bellevue. Doesn’t come close in urbanity, shopping, public transportation or things to do overall.

Old 06-04-2021, 10:24 AM

11 posts, read 7,663 times
Bellevue

Old 06-04-2021, 10:42 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
Arlington has impressive commute stats, even beating Seattle in transit share. Bellevue's no slouch though, easily beating many central cities like Denver, Portland, LA, etc. in transit share despite rail not arriving until 2023. Census ACS:
--Transit: 28.9% Arlington vs. 14.4% Bellevue
--Walking: 5.0% vs. 5.1%
--Biking: 1.5% vs. 0.3%
--Carpool: 5.8% vs. 11.7%

(For transit share: LA 8.7%, Denver 5.9%, Portland 12.0%)

Old 06-04-2021, 11:05 AM

12,822 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfitz1010 View Post
Really surprised the poll is so close. Arlington offers much more imo. I feel like people get blinded by the shiny new buildings in Bellevue. Doesn’t come close in urbanity, shopping, public transportation or things to do overall.
I lived within walking distance of two high end malls. Plenty urban.

Old 06-04-2021, 12:31 PM

503 posts, read 799,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I lived within walking distance of two high end malls. Plenty urban.
Urban but not comparable to Arlington which has 3 large business districts that are connected by a metro system. Shopping might be closer since Bellevue is like the high end shopping area in Seattle whereas Arlington isn’t for DC. But I’d say there’s more variety.

Old 06-04-2021, 01:30 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,718,975 times
Bellevue for the economy. Arlington is great for if you want to work for a defense contractor, HQ2 won't be enough to change the massive presence the DoD has there, including in the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor. Bellevue not only has Microsoft and Amazon HQ1 nearby, it has a much better selection of high innovation employers.

Old 06-04-2021, 09:00 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,921,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Bellevue for the economy. Arlington is great for if you want to work for a defense contractor, HQ2 won't be enough to change the massive presence the DoD has there, including in the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor. Bellevue not only has Microsoft and Amazon HQ1 nearby, it has a much better selection of high innovation employers.
Also seems like Amazon is getting fed up with Seattle politics and moving more and more of it’s offices to Bellevue.

Old 06-04-2021, 10:06 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
I would definitely choose Bellevue. Pretty walkable though some of the streets are wide but so are Arlington's. Major shopping goes to Bellevue by a mile. Bellevue Park is right in the heart of downtown. Main Street still has its quaintness despite all the construction. Even has a little waterfront to chill on. Despite having easy access by subway to DTDC I honestly don't see Arlington being that much more urban than Dt Bellevue.
Bellevue to me acts more like it's own independent city with its own Philharmonic Orchestra, big arts scene, convention center and top notch shopping scene. When Metro comes to Bellevue it will be extra nice not to worry about crossing Lake Washington's two bridges which always seem to be clogged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City