Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more naturally beautiful?
Indiana 10 19.61%
Iowa 9 17.65%
Oklahoma 32 62.75%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 12:28 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
From what I remember from road trips into southwest Wisconsin and southeast Minnesota, I suspect that is probably what a lot of northeast Iowa is also like. That you can see rock formations, on the sides of hills at times. I didn't spend as much time in northeast Iowa outside Dubuque as much as I would've liked, I'll add. But the little I did see, looked nice. Wish I could've gotten up to the town of Decorah, since it looked really nice on street view.

I remember seeing one such rock formation near Madison, Indiana, in southern Indiana. But yeah, I think you're right there are fewer rock formations in southern Indiana, and that it's more hills covered in trees. Also GraniteStater is right that there are more caves in south Indiana, vs. in Iowa, and probably also Minnesota and Wisconsin too within their driftless regions.
Madison, IN has a large park with trails, Clifty Falls State Park that is interesting. Unfortunately the setting is completely marred by a large power plant nearby, hopefully it retires shortly as it is 65-70 years old and very obsolete/inefficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2021, 12:37 PM

1,351 posts, read 893,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
From what I remember from road trips into southwest Wisconsin and southeast Minnesota, I suspect that is probably what a lot of northeast Iowa is also like. That you can see rock formations, on the sides of hills at times. I didn't spend as much time in northeast Iowa outside Dubuque as much as I would've liked, I'll add. But the little I did see, looked nice. Wish I could've gotten up to the town of Decorah, since it looked really nice on street view.

I remember seeing one such rock formation near Madison, Indiana, in southern Indiana. But yeah, I think you're right there are fewer rock formations in southern Indiana, and that it's more hills covered in trees. Also GraniteStater is right that there are more caves in south Indiana, vs. in Iowa, and probably also Minnesota and Wisconsin too within their driftless regions.
There is basically no geographic difference between SE MN and NE IA. SW WI is super similar, but they had some different factors going on east of the Mississippi that lends a slightly different topography to the land. More "peak" type appearances to those hills, where in Iowa and Minnesota you're visibly dealing with a dissected plateau.

Old 06-16-2021, 06:57 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,626,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Dragon View Post
What does OK have in terms of scenery?
Mt. Scott. You can drive to the top of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fydh-R-b4MQ

Old 06-17-2021, 07:48 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,904 times
I have driven through most of these three states. I would go

Oklahoma, Iowa, Indiana in that order, but it's pretty close all around. Oklahoma actually surprised me a bit.

Indiana's shoreline is a tiny part of the state. It does have some nice countryside in the southern part - we drove from NWI to Evansville several times, and the northern half of that drive sucks, but once you get south of Terre Haute - it's pretty nice down there, scenery wise.

Iowa's western half is very pretty rolling farmland - pleasant to the eye. Eastern half is pretty flat and boring though.

I would put all three of these states ahead of Nebraska or Kansas, or even my home state of Illinois.

Old 06-17-2021, 09:13 AM

393 posts, read 261,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Mt. Scott. You can drive to the top of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fydh-R-b4MQ
Thank you; never realized OK had such mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City