Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta v. Boston
Atlanta 62 37.80%
Boston 102 62.20%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 11:04 AM

21,701 posts, read 12,854,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
But none of those places are centers of top restaurants & nightlife like you would get in the equivalent 'within-city-limits' neighborhoods in a city like Atlanta (or Dallas, which is similar in that regard and in which I'm more familiar), which will have craftsman & bungalow-style houses and a block away a club that's open until 3am. Outside of Waltham, all of those places roll up their sleeves at 9pm, and regardless of closing time they are simply not very good and certainly not cool (and that includes Waltham). That's not a knock on those places btw, it's how suburbs were designed, and you could likely say that about the Atlanta suburbs as well. I.e. nobody from the South End or Camberville is trekking out to Woburn to check out a new restaurant. Newton is the only example where that may be possible, but a livable 3 bedroom home would be $1.5M+. I say this as someone from the Boston area who still likes it (a lot).

Atlanta would have some of their top restaurants & nightlife accessible to a more medium-density & suburban neighborhood (will leave direct compares to the Atlanta crowd, but a Dallas neighborhood example would be Knox-Henderson and I know Atlanta has similar).

I guess my entire point was that it is possible to live a more urbane lifestyle but also have more suburban-style creature comforts in cities outside of the Northeast. It's certainly not possible where I live now in the NYC area, except for possibly Montclair (which is an outlier). I'm surprised this point is controversial, I assumed this was well established?
Well, you never mentioned nightlife or closing hours. You mentioned suburbs, Target, and parking. This is very much different. Yeah, the suburban, yet urbane, feel is more predominant in Atlanta city limits than in Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2024, 11:09 AM

746 posts, read 417,867 times
I like both cities. I live near Boston which is why it was selected.

Old 05-02-2024, 11:13 AM

37,237 posts, read 39,519,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
But none of those places are centers of top restaurants & nightlife like you would get in the equivalent 'within-city-limits' neighborhoods in a city like Atlanta (or Dallas, which is similar in that regard and in which I'm more familiar), which will have craftsman & bungalow-style houses and a block away a club that's open until 3am. Outside of Waltham, all of those places roll up their sleeves at 9pm, and regardless of closing time they are simply not very good and certainly not cool (and that includes Waltham). That's not a knock on those places btw, it's how suburbs were designed, and you could likely say that about the Atlanta suburbs as well. I.e. nobody from the South End or Camberville is trekking out to Woburn to check out a new restaurant. Newton is the only example where that may be possible, but a livable 3 bedroom home would be $1.5M+. I say this as someone from the Boston area who still likes it (a lot).

Atlanta would have some of their top restaurants & nightlife accessible to a more medium-density & suburban neighborhood (will leave direct compares to the Atlanta crowd, but a Dallas neighborhood example would be Knox-Henderson and I know Atlanta has similar).

I guess my entire point was that it is possible to live a more urbane lifestyle but also have more suburban-style creature comforts in cities outside of the Northeast. It's certainly not possible where I live now in the NYC area, except for possibly Montclair (which is an outlier). I'm surprised this point is controversial, I assumed this was well established?
I'm a lot more familiar with the NYC area than either Boston or Atlanta area, but there are multiple restaurant and nightlife (and Target though not necessarily right next to each other) nodes outside of the urban core. They won't generally be up in a "hierarchy" of sorts as compared to densest parts of Manhattan and Brooklyn, but that's a pretty high bar. I assume it's a bit similar in the Boston area where you'll find restaurants and nightlife outside of the primary Boston core and probably more so if you're counting Cambridge / Somerville as outside of the core. I do think the Greater Boston Area and Massachusetts perhaps New England in general is not particularly known for its nightlife. Maybe known for not having great nightlife, really. I think Providence might be the only New England city where I've heard people talk about it positively.

Old 05-02-2024, 11:25 AM

12,192 posts, read 8,067,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm a lot more familiar with the NYC area than either Boston or Atlanta area, but there are multiple restaurant and nightlife (and Target though not necessarily right next to each other) nodes outside of the urban core. They won't generally be up in a "hierarchy" of sorts as compared to densest parts of Manhattan and Brooklyn, but that's a pretty high bar. I assume it's a bit similar in the Boston area where you'll find restaurants and nightlife outside of the primary Boston core and probably more so if you're counting Cambridge / Somerville as outside of the core. I do think the Greater Boston Area and Massachusetts perhaps New England in general is not particularly known for its nightlife. Maybe known for not having great nightlife, really. I think Providence might be the only New England city where I've heard people talk about it positively.
Yeah but nightlife is starting to vanish everywhere. Pretty soon Boston's will be the norm everywhere.

Gen Z prefers staying in, going to the brewery, checking out a cool food spot and just chilling. Nightlife is now synonymous with $20 drinks and dress codes. I think we lost 1 nightclub everyday in 2023.

Old 05-02-2024, 11:33 AM

37,237 posts, read 39,519,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah but nightlife is starting to vanish everywhere. Pretty soon Boston's will be the norm everywhere.

Gen Z prefers staying in, going to the brewery, checking out a cool food spot and just chilling. Nightlife is now synonymous with $20 drinks and dress codes. I think we lost 1 nightclub everyday in 2023.
Yea, nightlife isn't much fun if most of your party has to budget. Housing prices especially is ridiculous these days, but vehicle prices aren't much good either, so hooray, everyone eats ****. Even if a person is doing fine financially, it's not much if you can't get your friends to go out if they're worried about spending too much.

Old 05-03-2024, 05:22 AM

damn even Britney Spears chose Boston

thats wilddd

Old 05-03-2024, 06:01 AM

23,491 posts, read 44,156,973 times
Quote:
damn even Britney Spears chose Boston

thats wilddd
What's this about?

Old 05-03-2024, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
What's this about?
yesterday after a questionable breakdown/fight (?) she announced she was moving to Boston (whether she actually does is another thing...) I thought it was a funny bit because she's a southerner from Mississippi and she chose Boston over Atlanta.

(This post is satire of course)

Old Today, 07:09 AM

23,491 posts, read 44,156,973 times
Quote:
yesterday after a questionable breakdown/fight (?) she announced she was moving to Boston (whether she actually does is another thing...) I thought it was a funny bit because she's a southerner from Mississippi and she chose Boston over Atlanta.

(This post is satire of course)
Of course. Actually, she's a native of Kentwood, LA, not MS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City