Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 01:10 PM

83 posts, read 83,789 times

Advertisements

Wow you all have given me so much to think about. LOU sounds great- thank you for all the info. I appreciate the comparison to Richmond and STL, both cities that we love. STL specifically- such a great underrated city!

Sounds like there is a lively vibe there, something I personally think CLT lacks. Luckily we have time to make our decision but some more background info- the job offer would be flying for UPS so his schedule is the same, whether he’s here in CLT or there in LOU. He’s either away flying, or he’s home. The main difference being he can be paid to be “on call” if we live in LOU. Commuting to LOU from CLT on a UPS jet is easy and many pilots commute that way to their hubs.

As for schooling, we will most likely homeschool forever unless there is a killer dual enrollment possibility in the highschool years. Nothing against traditional school- we just like to travel and not live by the school year schedule… among others things which I wont go into With that being said, I’d probably send the kids to public school before most private schools. This is why finding a more diverse, open minded area is important to us. Yes, the rural areas of NC are for sure super conservative but you’d have to go a ways out. I consider our area pretty rural (just outside the CLT border) but we’ve met lots of like minded people. We rely a lot on our homeschool community. Even though our family is actually Christian and white, we are working very hard to make sure our homeschool community shares more of our liberal mindset, which is difficult to find in the southeast area. Yes, there is such a thing as a liberal Christian, ha!

We definitely will visit, maybe in the fall. I love learning about new cities and exploring new areas. Ill dig through the Louisville pages too, but realistically, what are the violent crime rates in the mentioned urban areas? Not looking for specific numbers, just the overall reputation I guess? I imagine theft as with any city but specifically speaking violent crime, in the nicer urban areas, what does it look like? Would I feel comfortable with my elementary school age kids riding around the block to their friends house on bikes?

Lastly, are the older homes protected by historical districts/ committees? A few areas are here in CLT and people either love or hate the idea. I assume LOU as historic districts as well- does anyone know how strict they are? Do they govern the outside only or as well as the inside?

Thank you again for all your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2021, 03:58 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,737,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenLenLen View Post
Wow you all have given me so much to think about. LOU sounds great- thank you for all the info. I appreciate the comparison to Richmond and STL, both cities that we love. STL specifically- such a great underrated city!

Sounds like there is a lively vibe there, something I personally think CLT lacks. Luckily we have time to make our decision but some more background info- the job offer would be flying for UPS so his schedule is the same, whether he’s here in CLT or there in LOU. He’s either away flying, or he’s home. The main difference being he can be paid to be “on call” if we live in LOU. Commuting to LOU from CLT on a UPS jet is easy and many pilots commute that way to their hubs.

As for schooling, we will most likely homeschool forever unless there is a killer dual enrollment possibility in the highschool years. Nothing against traditional school- we just like to travel and not live by the school year schedule… among others things which I wont go into With that being said, I’d probably send the kids to public school before most private schools. This is why finding a more diverse, open minded area is important to us. Yes, the rural areas of NC are for sure super conservative but you’d have to go a ways out. I consider our area pretty rural (just outside the CLT border) but we’ve met lots of like minded people. We rely a lot on our homeschool community. Even though our family is actually Christian and white, we are working very hard to make sure our homeschool community shares more of our liberal mindset, which is difficult to find in the southeast area. Yes, there is such a thing as a liberal Christian, ha!

We definitely will visit, maybe in the fall. I love learning about new cities and exploring new areas. Ill dig through the Louisville pages too, but realistically, what are the violent crime rates in the mentioned urban areas? Not looking for specific numbers, just the overall reputation I guess? I imagine theft as with any city but specifically speaking violent crime, in the nicer urban areas, what does it look like? Would I feel comfortable with my elementary school age kids riding around the block to their friends house on bikes?

Lastly, are the older homes protected by historical districts/ committees? A few areas are here in CLT and people either love or hate the idea. I assume LOU as historic districts as well- does anyone know how strict they are? Do they govern the outside only or as well as the inside?

Thank you again for all your thoughts!
So....Louisville was historically EXTREMELY safe. Especially in the Highlands and east. Around 2009 Morgan Quinto named it a top 10 safe large top 50 city (yes it is top 50 in every metric).

Now? I must admit there has been some very scary crime in the last year. The reason is complex and I do think it will get cleaned up. It is not on STL level crime wise...certainly doesn't look as bad in areas....yet it is getting to be a concern. I think crime wise it isn't any safer than CLT today, but can be with better leadership.

But in the proper historic urban areas, you will be fine. Stick CLOSE to Cherokee Park. And with a 700k budget it will be fine. I see you off Cherokee Rd, Douglass Blvd, or perhaps Senca Garden. And yes the historic homes are pretty fiercely protected. Louisville doe snpt have as much new stuff as many cities because, outside downtown and the near surrounding areas, it really preserved and renovated its history.

Louisville's biggest challenge has been Breonna Taylor, the riots after, and some of the crime that ensued. Think of it as a milder Ferguson.

The city is VERY similar to STL, just more compact, more friendly IMO, and more soulful with festivals and much more tourists. There is a huge tourists culture based off bourbon. I hope this helps? Let me know when you are planning a visit. Also, the whole on call UPS pilot thing is a huge thing here. We have several friends who do it and they make tons of money to just sit at home and be on call. It is definitely worth it! UPS is a great gig and having the Air HQ in Louisville helps.

You may also like the area of Crescent Hill near Frankfort Ave, especially closer to ST Matthews. EXTREMELY safe in these areas, even with this UNPRECDENTED crime wave in the last year. Louisville thank GOD will get a new mayor next year which will help.

Honestly, Louisville suburbs of New Albany and Jeffersonville IN have historic, urban walkable areas which are as nice as anything in CLT as far as historic urban goes. Again, CLT was just so much smaller for so long.

Most the old neighborhoods are under preservation districts. Certain areas like Old Louisville and Cherokee Triangle are extremely strict, others more lax. The trendiest areas right now are Butchertown and Nulu. For areas close to downtown, they are actually very safe. We are seeing tons of international in migration and domestic in migration from large coastal metros from people loving the eclectic vibe and cheaper historic bldgs.

Old 06-22-2021, 07:21 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Given the cost concerns with the neighborhoods you'd prefer to live in in Charlotte, I think you'd do well to seriously consider Louisville. It's one of the best bang-for-the-buck midsized historic urban cities in the country and it would be wise to stake your claim before it becomes the next cool boomtown everyone rants and raves about and prices begin to skyrocket.

Old 06-24-2021, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Given the cost concerns with the neighborhoods you'd prefer to live in in Charlotte, I think you'd do well to seriously consider Louisville. It's one of the best bang-for-the-buck midsized historic urban cities in the country and it would be wise to stake your claim before it becomes the next cool boomtown everyone rants and raves about and prices begin to skyrocket.
Agreed. It has flown under the radar a long time. The fall out from Breonna Taylor set it back a bit but if anything it seems that is helping people discover the city. That, and the decline in air travel has caused regional tourism into the city to boom in the last two months like nothing I have seen.

Old 06-24-2021, 09:26 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Agreed. It has flown under the radar a long time. The fall out from Breonna Taylor set it back a bit but if anything it seems that is helping people discover the city. That, and the decline in air travel has caused regional tourism into the city to boom in the last two months like nothing I have seen.
The city would be better if it was a few thousand feet higher in elevation or further north. The urban heat island and absurdly horrible summer temperatures are a big downside. I'm glad I live outside the UHI where it is consistently 6-8F cooler.

Old 06-24-2021, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The city would be better if it was a few thousand feet higher in elevation or further north. The urban heat island and absurdly horrible summer temperatures are a big downside. I'm glad I live outside the UHI where it is consistently 6-8F cooler.
I disagree. This heat island comes in handy in March, April, oct and sept when it is still very warm usually vs places like Indianapolis which get snow etc.

Louisville is substantially cooler than CLT without being "colder" IMO. Anywhere south of the Ohio river in the summer is pretty much the same sticky.

Old 06-25-2021, 10:12 AM

Quote:
I disagree. This heat island comes in handy in March, April, oct and sept when it is still very warm usually vs places like Indianapolis which get snow etc.

Louisville is substantially cooler than CLT without being "colder" IMO. Anywhere south of the Ohio river in the summer is pretty much the same sticky.
The cooler low temperatures outside the city throughout the summer are a massive improvement. 80F at midnight is never acceptable to me.

Old 06-25-2021, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The cooler low temperatures outside the city throughout the summer are a massive improvement. 80F at midnight is never acceptable to me.
Lol. Agree. The hills of IN, like Floyds Knobs, are better for someone like you. However I left Chicago at 18 and never went back. I lived many years in FL and many other cities and my bones now like the tropics. Louisville is far too frigid in Jan/Feb for me, so much so I have been looking at a second home in another up and coming southern city like Birmingham but the urban swag and culture of Louisville is too close to my heart. The city has seen a resurgence in the last two weeks with tons of new announcements and a feeling that with the right mayor, it is going to explode.

But it's interesting how the hills of IN NW of Louisville can be 10-15 degrees cooler many nights. I have also noticed those areas get markedly more measurable snows in the winter!

Old 06-26-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Lol. Agree. The hills of IN, like Floyds Knobs, are better for someone like you. However I left Chicago at 18 and never went back. I lived many years in FL and many other cities and my bones now like the tropics. Louisville is far too frigid in Jan/Feb for me, so much so I have been looking at a second home in another up and coming southern city like Birmingham but the urban swag and culture of Louisville is too close to my heart. The city has seen a resurgence in the last two weeks with tons of new announcements and a feeling that with the right mayor, it is going to explode.

But it's interesting how the hills of IN NW of Louisville can be 10-15 degrees cooler many nights. I have also noticed those areas get markedly more measurable snows in the winter!
It will be interesting when Louisville finally does vote in a new mayor. I think the level of development will be back at elevated levels by the end of this year and certainly next year. With the relative affordability of the area, as well as people getting increasingly priced out of other metros in various areas of the country, it should be interesting.
Yes, the climate of an area like western Floyd County is more of like a slightly milder version of Bloomington, IN or Covington, KY- not remotely like Louisville city limits at all most of the time. Winter low temperatures here are often 6-10F colder, with subzero low temperatures not that uncommon. The coldest I recorded on my weather station this past winter was in February at 1F.

Old 06-26-2021, 12:47 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_fYrom_back_East View Post
No, it was dog whistle for American.
in 1950....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City