Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tulsa vs Knoxville
Knoxville 36 41.38%
Tulsa 51 58.62%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2021, 10:42 PM

532 posts, read 821,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
I am rolling my eyes and laughing. TU may have more more endowment per undergraduate student and has some pretty impressive archival holdings, but it is as a small regional private school with nothing like the graduate offerings, national grants and research produced at UT, Knoxville, and actually is in fairly precipitous decline due to the inept meddling of the Kaiser foundation. It is a lesser version of Dickinson or Berea or De Pauw, but with a law school. ORU is Baylor with a lobotomy, half a step above Liberty, and along with those schools the worst educational bang for your buck in the country: Harvard prices and elevated community college quality. I much prefer Tulsa over Knoxville, but for higher ed, you have to be on crack to think that any of the Tulsa universities can compare to the big one in Knoxville. OU and UT are more comparable, even OSU. There is a chance that AAU membership -the bottom line for tier one status - is in UT's reach. I cannot see such a path for TU or ORU. We are not even talking apples and oranges, more like watermelons and grapes. Tulsa is a significantly superior city to Knoxville by nearly every metric, but higher ed goes to Knoxville.
You made the comparison. They are different types of institutions. Being a flagship university with 30,000 students and a huge number of programs doesn't equal better or superior. Of course OU and OSU are more comprable to UTK because they're the same types of university.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2021, 11:41 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,626,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
I am rolling my eyes and laughing. TU may have more more endowment per undergraduate student and has some pretty impressive archival holdings, but it is as a small regional private school with nothing like the graduate offerings, national grants and research produced at UT, Knoxville, and actually is in fairly precipitous decline due to the inept meddling of the Kaiser foundation. It is a lesser version of Dickinson or Berea or De Pauw, but with a law school. ORU is Baylor with a lobotomy, half a step above Liberty, and along with those schools the worst educational bang for your buck in the country: Harvard prices and elevated community college quality. I much prefer Tulsa over Knoxville, but for higher ed, you have to be on crack to think that any of the Tulsa universities can compare to the big one in Knoxville. OU and UT are more comparable, even OSU. There is a chance that AAU membership -the bottom line for tier one status - is in UT's reach. I cannot see such a path for TU or ORU. We are not even talking apples and oranges, more like watermelons and grapes. Tulsa is a significantly superior city to Knoxville by nearly every metric, but higher ed goes to Knoxville.
But Tulsa loves OSU so much that OSU provides daily M-F bus service to and from Tulsa-OSU campus up to 9 times a day. The trip is a little over an hour. OSU-Stillwater has around 24,000 students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City