Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City do you prefer?
Buffalo, NY 33 62.26%
Grand Rapids, MI 20 37.74%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 03:28 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,219,548 times

Advertisements

The #2 Cities in their respective states...Both in the Snowbelt and one is on a Great Lake and close to another Great Lake while the other isn't too far away from one. One is squarely in the Midwest, while the other is considered the Northeast with some Midwestern influences. Both very different from the largest cities in their respective states.

COL
Economy
Education
Climate
Housing
Culture
Dining
Transportation
Recreation
Events
Infrastructure
Scenery
Shopping
Better Future
Other (feel free to describe something that makes you prefer one over the other)

Last edited by biscuit_head; 07-15-2021 at 03:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2021, 08:08 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
The #2 Cities in their respective states...Both in the Snowbelt and one is on a Great Lake and close to another Great Lake while the other isn't too far away from one. One is squarely in the Midwest, while the other is considered the Northeast with some Midwestern influences. Both very different from the largest cities in their respective states.
I'll take a stab at it.

COL This is either a tie or may lean slightly toward Buffalo would be my guess.

Economy Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids has transitioned from a non union manufacturing base, to an eds/meds/corporate base. I'm pretty sure Buffalo has made a big transition too, but it's had a harder hill to climb.

Education - I think it's a wash. University of Buffalo is much older, established, better known than Grand Valley State, Buffalo wins on that point. Though Grand Rapids metro has a slightly higher percentage of residents with a Bachelors degree or higher. The gap is greater at the city level (28.7% for Buffalo, 36.4% for Grand Rapids)
Buffalo Metro Education stats

GR Metro Education stats

Climate - Tie Both host the two snowiest large metro's over one million people due to lake effect snow. Buffalo is on the lake, Grand Rapids is 25 miles inland. Grand Rapids city receives slightly less snow but it's splitting hairs. I'd imagine summers and falls are identically fantastic.

Housing - Tie, or maybe slight edge to GR because it hasn't gone through the same declines that Buffalo has, perhaps someone with better knowledge could say.

Culture- Buffalo, I've never been but it's an older/more established city in general. I don't see how Grand Rapids would beat it out.

Dining - Not sure. Like all cities Grand Rapids has experienced a surge of farm to table, and had a few chefs move in and open up some pretty great restaurants. Along with a couple restaurants from Wolfgang Puck (though I don't know how much involvement WP had in their development, or if the owners just paid for the name) That with the brewery scene give it a surprising foodie feel. I'd imagine Buffalo similar in this regard.

Transportation - Buffalo no contest with it's LRT. Grand Rapids and its extensive bus network would not compete.

Location - Buffalo, major international crossing and proximity to places like Toronto, Cleveland, and not that far from NYC

Air Service - Tie? Buffalo's airport serves more passengers than Grand Rapids, but Grand Rapids airport serves more destinations(GR 35, to Buff 26).

Recreation- Tie, Buffalo's proximity to Niagara Falls is huge for tourism so that might give it an edge, but Western New York, and Western Michigan are fairly similar in their access to nature and lakeshore amenities. Grand Rapids is also the gateway to Michigan's vacation country.

Events - Can't find enough information to gauge which one I think would be better.

Infrastructure - Buffalo no contest. Grand Rapids has one of the most underdeveloped freeway networks for a city of it's size. The state of Michigan has only recently started investing in modernizing it's freeway system to accommodate it's decades of population growth. Though the roads in western michigan are generally better taken care of than Michigan's reputation as a whole. I don't know the condition of those in New York.

Scenery - Likely Buffalo for it's position right on the lake. Otherwise they are both in similar settings.

Shopping - Tie

Better Future - IMO Grand Rapids is better positioned for the future.

Population stats for the cities:

Old 08-07-2021, 02:19 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,219,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I'll take a stab at it.

COL This is either a tie or may lean slightly toward Buffalo would be my guess.

Economy Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids has transitioned from a non union manufacturing base, to an eds/meds/corporate base. I'm pretty sure Buffalo has made a big transition too, but it's had a harder hill to climb.

Education - I think it's a wash. University of Buffalo is much older, established, better known than Grand Valley State, Buffalo wins on that point. Though Grand Rapids metro has a slightly higher percentage of residents with a Bachelors degree or higher. The gap is greater at the city level (28.7% for Buffalo, 36.4% for Grand Rapids)
Buffalo Metro Education stats

GR Metro Education stats

Climate - Tie Both host the two snowiest large metro's over one million people due to lake effect snow. Buffalo is on the lake, Grand Rapids is 25 miles inland. Grand Rapids city receives slightly less snow but it's splitting hairs. I'd imagine summers and falls are identically fantastic.

Housing - Tie, or maybe slight edge to GR because it hasn't gone through the same declines that Buffalo has, perhaps someone with better knowledge could say.

Culture- Buffalo, I've never been but it's an older/more established city in general. I don't see how Grand Rapids would beat it out.

Dining - Not sure. Like all cities Grand Rapids has experienced a surge of farm to table, and had a few chefs move in and open up some pretty great restaurants. Along with a couple restaurants from Wolfgang Puck (though I don't know how much involvement WP had in their development, or if the owners just paid for the name) That with the brewery scene give it a surprising foodie feel. I'd imagine Buffalo similar in this regard.

Transportation - Buffalo no contest with it's LRT. Grand Rapids and its extensive bus network would not compete.

Location - Buffalo, major international crossing and proximity to places like Toronto, Cleveland, and not that far from NYC

Air Service - Tie? Buffalo's airport serves more passengers than Grand Rapids, but Grand Rapids airport serves more destinations(GR 35, to Buff 26).

Recreation- Tie, Buffalo's proximity to Niagara Falls is huge for tourism so that might give it an edge, but Western New York, and Western Michigan are fairly similar in their access to nature and lakeshore amenities. Grand Rapids is also the gateway to Michigan's vacation country.

Events - Can't find enough information to gauge which one I think would be better.

Infrastructure - Buffalo no contest. Grand Rapids has one of the most underdeveloped freeway networks for a city of it's size. The state of Michigan has only recently started investing in modernizing it's freeway system to accommodate it's decades of population growth. Though the roads in western michigan are generally better taken care of than Michigan's reputation as a whole. I don't know the condition of those in New York.

Scenery - Likely Buffalo for it's position right on the lake. Otherwise they are both in similar settings.

Shopping - Tie

Better Future - IMO Grand Rapids is better positioned for the future.

Population stats for the cities:
Excellent Breakdown and take on this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City