Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Reston VA vs Chapel Hill, NC vs Charleston, SC vs Short Pump, VA
Reston, VA 17 37.78%
Chapel Hill, NC 11 24.44%
Charleston, SC 9 20.00%
Short Pump, VA 8 17.78%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 10:20 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,008,679 times

Advertisements

I know this seems like an odd pairing, but in my never ending quest to find a place possibly to relocate these actually are close in rank for some of the things that are important to us as we age -

Good local health care within 30 minutes
Nationally ranked health care within @ 1 Hr
24 ER Vet within 30 min
International airport within 30 min
Reasonable housing (under 500K)
Moderate weather
Lots of amenities
Relatively safe
Growing areas (not depressed or decaying) with low unemployment

We live right now in Mount Pleasant, SC, a burb of Charleston (about 1/2 hr away), so even though I listed Charleston we would be staying either in Mount Pleasant or perhaps relocating to Daniel Island which is part of Charleston. Reasons we are considering relocating - as we age the following are getting to be troublesome-

Hurricanes and evacuations - an expensive "forced" vacation so far 4 out of the 5 years we've been here
Traffic/# of accidents/tractor trailers on the road
Venomous snakes - I know that NC has even more venomous snakes and VA is not free of them so that may not go away

If Reston we would live near Reston TC to try and minimize the driving we have to do for groceries, shoppings, etc.

HOW CAN YOU HELP?
We know where we live obviously best, and we have been to Chapel Hill a number of times, but not for at least 5 years so I know it has likely changed. We have never been to Reston or Short Pump.

We are primarily interested to learn what the general feel of each area is and how easy it is to get around and how good the nearest airport is for both domestic and international. And yes, when we can, we will visit all. So how would you rate -

Traffic (non-prime time)
Public Transit Availability/Quality
Ambience/Vibe/Vitality
Airport
Flavor of the Area - Very conservative, conservative, moderate, liberal, very liberal
Things to Do - Both in to town itself and around the area
Winter Weather - Ice, Snow and Gloominess
Welcoming to Newcomers, particularly people from the north

As a state we like VA better than NC or SC because there seems to be so much more around there, plus we have friends/family in VA and MD, but trying to keep an open mind. Proximity to DC is also a plus for us.

Thanks for any info you can provide! Please vote based on our criteria. Thx!

Last edited by macalan; 07-26-2021 at 11:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2021, 11:53 AM

13 posts, read 9,524 times
Sounds like you'd like Reston, VA based off your criteria. It will have the worst traffic (by a large margin) but the DC Metro will be opening a station in Reston next year, so you will have some access to public transit unlike the other cities. It will also have way more things to do being so close to DC. Also Dulles airport is right there and is much larger than Charleston Intl, RDU, or Richmond's airport. Cost of living will probably be higher there, but Charleston and Chapel Hill aren't exactly cheap either (can't comment on Short Pump, VA). Northern Virginia is not culturally southern at all and has tons of people from all over the world living there, so I wouldn't worry about people being unwelcome.

Old 07-31-2021, 12:31 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Keep in mind- Reston VA is nearby to Dulles Airport. A very strong United Airlines hub with the fifth largest Transatlantic market after New York JFK, Boston, Newark, and Miami.

Charleston, Raleigh (Chapel Hill), and Richmond (Short Pump) do not have many/any international flights compared to Dulles (Reston area). If this is important, it would make your life 1000xeasier than constantly connecting.

Reston checks off most boxes, but housing affordability might not be there. I could be wrong...

Old 08-01-2021, 12:14 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,873,929 times
https://www.google.com/travel/explor...uwQlhd6BAgSEA0.
https://www.kayak.com/horizon/sem/fl...d=117199423814

RDU as far as international flights,don't know how rona has affected it currently with the variant now increasing.
Also what activities do you guys like, being in the charleston area currently will you guys miss the water???? or the seafood???

Quote:
Good local health care within 30 minutes
Nationally ranked health care within @ 1 Hr
24 ER Vet within 30 min
International airport within 30 min
Reasonable housing (under 500K)
Moderate weather
Lots of amenities
Relatively safe
Growing areas (not depressed or decaying) with low unemployment
everything else Chapel Hill has but amenities, all depends on what you guys are into

Old 08-01-2021, 12:23 PM

402 posts, read 369,584 times
Chapel Hill would be my choice.

Old 08-01-2021, 12:53 PM

71 posts, read 65,673 times
I think Midlothian has eclipsed Short Pump and the far West End. Gorgeous shady neighborhoods, lots of amenities, and easy access to downtown Richmond.

Reston is DC/Northern Virginia rat race, and I would imagine to be very expensive. You are right next to Dulles, however. Not familiar with Chapel Hill - but as home to UNC, it's probably very nice. Charleston is an entirely different animal - I would select only if I had to be on or very near the beach. Charleston is so hot, humid, and buggy in the summer. Charleston's historic area (e.g. the Battery), is not as extensive as I would have thought, so that's not a huge attraction.

Last edited by BobHoward; 08-01-2021 at 01:19 PM..

Old 08-01-2021, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
https://www.google.com/travel/explor...uwQlhd6BAgSEA0.
https://www.kayak.com/horizon/sem/fl...d=117199423814

RDU as far as international flights,don't know how rona has affected it currently with the variant now increasing.
Also what activities do you guys like, being in the charleston area currently will you guys miss the water???? or the seafood???

everything else Chapel Hill has but amenities, all depends on what you guys are into
We're pretty low key. We just lost our dog but we spent a lot of time with her, walking her. We love browsing in bookstores, going to outdoor cafes, seeing an occasional movie, out to eat now and then. We're beyond the bar scene. We love the water, which is why I think we are partial to Reston over Short Pump or Chapel Hill.

Old 08-01-2021, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest2020 View Post
Chapel Hill would be my choice.
Can you explain why you like Chapel Hill best?

Old 08-01-2021, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHoward View Post
I think Midlothian has eclipsed Short Pump and the far West End. Gorgeous shady neighborhoods, lots of amenities, and easy access to downtown Richmond.

Reston is DC/Northern Virginia rat race, and I would imagine to be very expensive. You are right next to Dulles, however. Not familiar with Chapel Hill - but as home to UNC, it's probably very nice. Charleston is an entirely different animal - I would select only if I had to be on or very near the beach. Charleston is so hot, humid, and buggy in the summer. Charleston's historic area (e.g. the Battery), is not as extensive as I would have thought, so that's not a huge attraction.
Are there neighborhoods in Midlothian that have sidewalks? I looked at Google Earth at some of the neighborhoods in Short Pump and it seemed none of them had sidewalks. That's a must for us since we plan to get another dog and we don't like walking on streets without sidewalks.

Old 08-01-2021, 08:32 PM

71 posts, read 65,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Are there neighborhoods in Midlothian that have sidewalks? I looked at Google Earth at some of the neighborhoods in Short Pump and it seemed none of them had sidewalks. That's a must for us since we plan to get another dog and we don't like walking on streets without sidewalks.
My point of reference for residential Midlothian is a large neighborhood called Salisbury. Lived there briefly as a teenager, with my parents, years ago. I was there again in May, and if anything it’s even more appealing. Quiet with acre lots with hardwoods and fescue lawns. There are no sidewalks because there is no traffic except for the folks who live there. Sidewalks are unnecessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City