Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Worst hip hop scene?
Boston 14 11.02%
DFW 10 7.87%
Phoenix 74 58.27%
Seattle 29 22.83%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2021, 07:15 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,611,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Local slang youll hear in Boston is

"Hip" (one of the blogs I posted is "Let Me Hip You")
"on dogs" (our version of deadass)
"them kids" (or version of opps)
"force(d) (it)"-you can here this in the Trottie Y GIzzle/Moula Freestyle I posted earlier

As far as an accent you'll hear words like bails and deals become "b(e)ills" and "dills"
@2:35. i had no idea this was a boston-ism.
https://www.facebook.com/donate/8300...e=external_url

also:
https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/App...f_Boston_slang
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2021, 07:17 AM

21,839 posts, read 13,066,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
No one says on (dead) dawgs east of Framingham MA. All the slang on that Wikipedia page is white people stuff. Wouldn’t rely on that.

Old 08-09-2021, 07:33 AM
Status: "‘But who is the land for? The sun and the sand for?’" (set 11 days ago)

6,841 posts, read 6,135,662 times
Quote:
No one says on (dead) dawgs east of Framingham MA. All the slang on that Wikipedia page is white people stuff. Wouldn’t rely on that.
As a white guy from MA, most of the things on that page have me scratching my head. “Bureau”, “draw”, “and “frappe” are good (though not really “slang”). I think “force” and “basic” are used outside of MA. Kill me on the spot if I ever describe something as “the balls”.

Old 08-09-2021, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
As a white guy from MA, most of the things on that page have me scratching my head. “Bureau”, “draw”, “and “frappe” are good (though not really “slang”). I think “force” and “basic” are used outside of MA. Kill me on the spot if I ever describe something as “the balls”.
force naw not really. Especially not the way Bostonians use it. basic, yes.

Only in Boston can you say "Oh yea, he's a force" or simply "forceee"

Old 08-09-2021, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Has Headlock been shared yet?

Lyrics towards the end are (per a google search):
"Smokin' the gas with the CVs and rastas
Just spent $100 on one plate of pasta
Green and the red I'm like Blanka
Play with the Tim Turner concha
Rollie in water like lobster
Me and three ******* in Benihana
I ain't their daddy, they call me papa
Hundred bands come up of fifty dollars
Watch out for snakes like a Gucci collar"

All ending with the -ah sound, especially on-the-nose with "lobstah".
Yea this was one of his worst songs. Not sure why he wasted all that RCA label money on this and Lambo... smh. I remember he got on Power 105.1 in new York and had them play No Ice off his One Night Only album.. it should have been Paper Callin. He always picks the wrong songs to showcase.

This video was good for Bijou Nightclub though.

Old 08-09-2021, 07:45 AM

Some Boston oldheads really get deep into the old-school NYC hip hop (this video was shot and posted by our current mayor..before she was mayor)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lOKCBnAa5Q

Old 08-09-2021, 07:45 AM

409 posts, read 339,033 times
I think Phoenix. There are guys who've been coming out of Dallas most notably with the southern trap. Boston has a well established scene & Seattle has a few guys coming out making waves as of recent.

I don't know anyone from Phoenix making noise off the top of my head.

Old 08-09-2021, 08:49 AM

816 posts, read 483,755 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, I only know one rapper in Connecticut other than Apathy....

"StaRrbuckz" from Hartford. Only heard him because he came up to a Boston radio station to promote his music. He went to WZBR 98.1, and Northeastern University radio, recorded some in Brockton...but he ain't good...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t9q92oWPk8

Other Connecticut rappers exist but they really are painfully bad..like- its really bad..

Heres one collective out of New Haven, idk man. Its not looking too hot lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4C-QGusfsM
New Haven looks to NYC (it's both tri-state and New England) first compared to Boston. No one is really checking for Boston except on city-data. Memphis is having a nice run right now in the hip-hop scene.

Hartford and New Haven don't really talk to each other much as you would think given that they're under 50 miles a part. The feels of the two cities are really different. Locally, there's a bunch of good stuff in other genres not hip-hop yet although historically NHV had some decent local presence given that it was one of the most active Black liberation cities (e.g. Black Panther Party).

Old 08-09-2021, 08:51 AM

816 posts, read 483,755 times
To answer the OPs question, Phoenix for sure but it'll be interesting to see how it looks in a few years given that Las Vegas and Phoenix are seeing a lot of Black in-migration.

Old 08-09-2021, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
New Haven looks to NYC (it's both tri-state and New England) first compared to Boston. No one is really checking for Boston except on city-data. Memphis is having a nice run right now in the hip-hop scene.

Hartford and New Haven don't really talk to each other much as you would think given that they're under 50 miles a part. The feels of the two cities are really different. Locally, there's a bunch of good stuff in other genres not hip-hop yet although historically NHV had some decent local presence given that it was one of the most active Black liberation cities (e.g. Black Panther Party).
This is not really true, although thelook is to NYC first-for sure -I was definitely in a 'New England Hip Hop' Clubhouse room with multiple people from New Haven 7/8 months ago. They were very much looking to make inroads in Boston's scene. You might need to be in New England longer to understand all those connections. Regardless, I'm not talking about where people are looking to-just where is the scene in CT?

Looking to NYC is just that looking to NYC... I'm wondering where is the organic scenes in CT and/or why is the quality/quantity lacking when so close to NYC. I lived in CT for four years in college and there was nothing despite Hartford having a reverence for the foundational elements of hip hop. In fact, Boston rappers were having concerts and stuff in Hartford when I was in college. They were posting flyers on our campus, we also had Joyner Lucas for a show. I found a stronger bboy/black skating culture and dancehall scene than active rappers.

Agree that NHV and Hartford feel quite different. New Haven is a much better city with more of a pulse. Connection in New Haven are certainly stronger with NYC Hartford is more standalone and a little more Mass influenced. What are the genres in New Haven? I would assume jass and RnB. Based on the presence of 94.3 WYBC.

I could theorize why CT is lacking in this arena but I think its basically the same way Jersey doesn't get a ton of shine, mission a major city. But obviously, Jersey connections to NYC are thicker and they're much more numerous than CT. I don't see the proximity to NYC benefitting CT musically, ever really- apart from Cassie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City