Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Worst hip hop scene?
Boston 14 11.02%
DFW 10 7.87%
Phoenix 74 58.27%
Seattle 29 22.83%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2021, 02:37 PM

10,102 posts, read 6,792,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
never hear anything about Phoenix in pop-culture aside from sports. For a metro so large it flies under the radar .
That’s what I keep saying. I almost wonder if they generally enjoy staying under the radar or if it’s something they wish to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2021, 02:48 PM

918 posts, read 1,099,015 times
Quote:
never hear anything about Phoenix in pop-culture aside from sports. For a metro so large it flies under the radar .
City of 1.7 million and their most notable acts are Alice Cooper and Jordin Sparks...

Old 08-09-2021, 02:55 PM

10,102 posts, read 6,792,754 times
I was rooting for the Suns mostly to see Phoenix shine. I also like Chris Paul but I wanted to see Phoenix hold the glory for once.

Old 08-09-2021, 03:52 PM

2,242 posts, read 1,148,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I was rooting for the Suns mostly to see Phoenix shine. I also like Chris Paul but I wanted to see Phoenix hold the glory for once.
Yea, all their teams are just historically bad on a depressing level. The WNBA team has the most championships out of all their pro-teams.

Old 08-09-2021, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
That’s what I keep saying. I almost wonder if they generally enjoy staying under the radar or if it’s something they wish to change.

.Wish we got some phoenix posters in here to find out. even they fly under the radar on here, have only seen a handful.

Old 08-09-2021, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
City of 1.7 million and their most notable acts are Alice Cooper and Jordin Sparks...
Used to have a crush on her way back then, even got her debut album on CD.

Would've never in a million years guessed Alice cooper was from Phoenix, looks like all the members are from there too. People need to stop feeling bad about where they're from and start showing some hometown pride!

Old 08-09-2021, 10:28 PM

117 posts, read 82,364 times
Quote:
Used to have a crush on her way back then, even got her debut album on CD.

Would've never in a million years guessed Alice cooper was from Phoenix, looks like all the members are from there too. People need to stop feeling bad about where they're from and start showing some hometown pride!
Cultural legacy doesn’t necessarily mean a place is great to live in.

For example, Seattle’s musical legacy is astounding for a city of its size. They have Jimi Hendrix, Quincy Jones, Nirvana (Kurt Cobain), Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Heart, Foo Fighters, so many more bands, and they basically invented their own genre of music which is still popular (Grunge). Seattle Companies like Boeing, Starbucks, Microsoft, Costco and Amazon have greatly impacted culture as well. 90’s music, fashion, trends and youth culture were largely defined by what was happening in Seattle.

And yet I’d much rather live in Phoenix, which has basically no cultural legacy. Seattle is overrun by homeless people and drug addicts, they have the worst kind of liberal politics, it’s rainy and grey 9 months of the year, and housing is ridiculously expensive.

Phoenix is affordable, sunny, has great scenery and hiking, decent restaurants, and friendly people. I’d rather be proud of the place that I live because I think it’s a good place to live than because they have a strong cultural legacy. What good does that do for the everyday people who live there?

Old 08-10-2021, 09:29 PM

2,312 posts, read 1,740,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEggHead View Post

For example, Seattle’s musical legacy is astounding for a city of its size. They have Jimi Hendrix, Quincy Jones, Nirvana (Kurt Cobain), Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Heart, Foo Fighters, so many more bands, and they basically invented their own genre of music which is still popular (Grunge). Seattle Companies like Boeing, Starbucks, Microsoft, Costco and Amazon have greatly impacted culture as well. 90’s music, fashion, trends and youth culture were largely defined by what was happening in Seattle.

And yet I’d much rather live in Phoenix, which has basically no cultural legacy. Seattle is overrun by homeless people and drug addicts, they have the worst kind of liberal politics, it’s rainy and grey 9 months of the year, and housing is ridiculously expensive.

Yup - totally overrun. I can't leave my house without being assaulted by a homeless drug addict.

Also, it's barely rained twice in the last 2 months.

Old 08-10-2021, 09:36 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,450,714 times
Quote:

Maybe if enough people believe you, a bungalow shack in Seattle will finally go for less than a million dollars. In all honesty, Seattle is a great place to live if you have a high income job from one of the many high paying employers in the metro area. The weather is way underrated and way nicer than Phoenix. I’ve managed to have decent hikes every single weekend this past year. The lush scenery and nature here contributes to the cultural output and entrepreneurial spirit.

Old 08-10-2021, 10:29 PM

1,325 posts, read 889,321 times
Quote:

Something doesn't add up here. Housing doesn't just get expensive for no reason. If Seattle weren't a great place to live, people wouldn't be flocking there and driving up the housing costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City