Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Worst hip hop scene?
Boston 14 11.02%
DFW 10 7.87%
Phoenix 74 58.27%
Seattle 29 22.83%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2022, 02:56 PM

21,804 posts, read 12,979,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Hip hop in the 80's is way more significant than the copy and paste stuff that came after it.

I remember listening to "Posse on Broadway" when I was a kid and not even realizing it was about Capitol Hill.
I guess so, I just looked it up- i figure it was popular on the west coast. I ain’t really like it… n it really lyrically impressive or there for production. The best part is h e video. I just know SMAL for big butts which prolly cheapens his legacy. Whereas Boston had #1 nationwide rap hits From Ed OG, Guru, BBD, and even Mark Wahlberg in that era. Benzino was in several movie/video game soundtrack and had major features on some of his MoTown releases. His legacy is the Source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2022, 03:07 PM

409 posts, read 337,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Coi Leray was born in Roxbury moved to Jersey wen she was little but she be poppin up in Boston because her relatives are there. You’ll catch her in a Celtics jerseys or chilling by in a triple decker, she says “Boston is in her blood”. Her brother Chavo was raised IN Boston and he’s definitely better than her. My favorite song of his is “Michigan” (1M+ views). He’s under some NYC label now.

Mizzie Cash was the next 8 zipp but he got charged with homicide last spring. He follows me on Instagram last week and says “he’ll be home soon” Mizzie Cash got the Gillie Da Kidd co-sign. To, went down to Philly w/ him and all that. He’s ratchet and a mess though. Real real bad/disagreeable/aggressive attitude and unorganized with his music distribution. Some of his best songs are only on SoundCloud.
Ah, ok. Now I get her repping Boston more. It all makes sense now.

Smh, I do wish these rappers (especially the street ones) would get out of their own way sometimes. All it takes is one misstep and it then goes to naught.

But at least he's got the Gillie cosign especially with his podcast being one of the biggest in hip hop right now.

Old 02-11-2022, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDfinest View Post
Ah, ok. Now I get her repping Boston more. It all makes sense now.

Smh, I do wish these rappers (especially the street ones) would get out of their own way sometimes. All it takes is one misstep and it then goes to naught.

But at least he's got the Gillie cosign especially with his podcast being one of the biggest in hip hop right now.
Some people I. Boston hate on her though and tell her she’s from Jersey. It’s toxic and dumb.
Yea he’s a mess https://youtu.be/czRhlaVlXZU

If you get a. Chance give Cousin a Stizz new album a run through. Like BIA he was on RCA much like BIA his music quality went way up when they went Indie. I love the album

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 02-11-2022 at 03:38 PM..

Old 02-11-2022, 03:44 PM

2,239 posts, read 1,139,676 times
Quote:
For as big as Dallas is it’s definitely not established.

The biggest rapper from Dallas i know is Dorrough or Yella Beezy. Maybe Lil Will? It’s not established. Now there are new rappers in Dallas but given how massive it’s black population is and contrasted to Houston? it’s a huge underachiever. It’s kind of riding on Erica Banks, Asian Doll right now.

Not even sure why people think it has the poppin rap scene?
Dallas is solid and trending upward. It's Similar to DC in that the principle city is weak while the Entire DFW or (DMV for DC) is where the heavy hitters are.

Old 02-11-2022, 03:51 PM

10,027 posts, read 6,727,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Dallas is solid and trending upward. It's Similar to DC in that the principle city is weak while the Entire DFW or (DMV for DC) is where the heavy hitters are.
It was for a while but it has fell off pretty hard since. They had something going but they either came and went, fell off, got locked up, or died (RIP MO3). I think BostonBorn is right that Boston is the trending the most over here. Not a BIA fan but she toured with Don Toliver and her show was ok. I also don't think it was ever "solid" in all honesty. There was potential but it never caught on. I wish Dorrough would have sustained. His mixtape series was phenomenal. The labels turned him into a one hit wonder unfortunately and his best works never got well showcased.

Old 02-11-2022, 03:58 PM

409 posts, read 337,443 times
Quote:
Some people I. Boston hate on her though and tell her she’s from Jersey. It’s toxic and dumb.
Yea he’s a mess https://youtu.be/czRhlaVlXZU

If you get a. Chance give Cousin a Stizz new album a run through. Like BIA he was on RCA much like BIA his music quality went way up when they went Indie. I love the album
Smh, hearing the whole story and the details.

Whoa, I even forgot Cousin Stizz had a new album and I'm pretty clued up to his music whenever he releases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Eh, maybe 5 or 6 years ago and it is still true to some extent. A lot of the mainstream established guys we all know (Logic, Rico Nasty, Q da Fool, etc) all came from MD but there's actually been a wave of younger and older rappers coming from DC on the come up even though they are still all underground & more popular in the local scene. (Even more than our "established" players). Some are even trying to make moves into LA & NY since there isn't much of an industry here yet.

For context, DC unlike MD & VA, was a Gogo city first before 2012. Being a rapper was considered lame and corny here. It was considered as being wanting to be from NYC. It wasn't until after 2012-2013 when a lot of Gogo clubs started shuttering that rap become a more viable cultural staple in DC and it's in 2018 that rappers started emerging from DC proper for real. I'll post some clips when I get more time.

Last edited by MDfinest; 02-11-2022 at 04:19 PM..

Old 02-11-2022, 04:11 PM

I love Dallas artists like Yella Beezy Dorough GS Boyz Lil Will. All their hits were huge for me growing up: but I can’t call Dallas “established” especially when Houston is Houston-ing and nightlife and black population is as great as it is there. It’s weird.

Boston also has several media behind the scenes things.

On the Joe Budden Podcast both Savon (Dorchester) and Rory (from Rhode Island) were form the Boston Area. And then there’s then No jumper guy (from Nashua NH) and Bootleg KeV. Not to mention Statik Selektah, Clinton Sparks, Termanology. DJ Chubby Chubb and Ron G, both originally from NYC, are now stationed on Boston radio.

I wouldn’t call Boston an established hip hop market but it’s more legacy than these other cities. I think Dallas had a better chance to trend simply because it’s way more popular as a city and had more performance venues.

The only rappers I know who really mess with Boston who aren’t affiliated with Millyz? are Larry June (he mentions Boston a few times, Bodega in particular ) and French Montana.

Old 02-11-2022, 04:31 PM

10,027 posts, read 6,727,017 times
Dallas doesn't lack the talent. But to understand why Houston flourished and Dallas didn't, you have to look beyond just the rappers.

What they both have:
-Large black population
-Great nightlige
-Talented local artists
-Places for celebrities to "ball out"

What Houston has that Dallas lacks
-Producers and willing investors.

Mike Dean is arguably a top 5 producer of all time in Hip Hop. Before he was working with Kanye (and later everyone), he made Z-Ro's career, Paul Wall's, Slim Thug's, etc. And J Prince always had the money to fund local artists. He was also the first investor that to Drake mainstream (explaining Drake's Houston connection).

There's a lot more names behind the scenes but this is that. Summed up, the Straight Outta Compton movie had a lesser profile activity going in Houston.

Old 02-11-2022, 04:33 PM

I should also mention Boston raised SMOKE BULGA signed with MMG in August and released “Water Whipn”with Rick Ross. You can see a clip here but it’s been taken down from YouTube. https://www.instagram.com/tv/CXuCV-E...dium=copy_link

Here’s the billboard article on his signing. https://www.billboard.com/music/rb-h...-ross-9622622/

Smoke and Millyz go back over a decade…

Old 02-11-2022, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Dallas doesn't lack the talent. But to understand why Houston flourished and Dallas didn't, you have to look beyond just the rappers.

What they both have:
-Large black population
-Great nightlige
-Talented local artists
-Places for celebrities to "ball out"

What Houston has that Dallas lacks
-Producers and willing investors.

Mike Dean is arguably a top 5 producer of all time in Hip Hop. Before he was working with Kanye (and later everyone), he made Z-Ro's career, Paul Wall's, Slim Thug's, etc. And J Prince always had the money to fund local artists. He was also the first investor that to Drake mainstream (explaining Drake's Houston connection).

There's a lot more names behind the scenes but this is that. Summed up, the Straight Outta Compton movie had a lesser profile activity going in Houston.
Ahhh I forgot about Z-Ro!

And yea umm J Prince can kinda just *force* people to comply with his vision lol…

Boston lacks good nightlife and strip clubs (rapper must) but it does have some decent venues and abundant talent (especially producers). It also has a legacy, college students from all over and many hip hop media outlets. The black population is just large enough to keep it afloat a la the Bay Area. but it also has many Afro Latino rappers (up thread ) to bolster numbers. Investment is there but definitely lacking IMO.. and proximity to NYC does help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City