Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Worst hip hop scene?
Boston 14 11.02%
DFW 10 7.87%
Phoenix 74 58.27%
Seattle 29 22.83%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2022, 11:42 AM

21,839 posts, read 13,066,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
It was for a while but it has fell off pretty hard since. They had something going but they either came and went, fell off, got locked up, or died (RIP MO3). I think BostonBorn is right that Boston is the trending the most over here. Not a BIA fan but she toured with Don Toliver and her show was ok. I also don't think it was ever "solid" in all honesty. There was potential but it never caught on. I wish Dorrough would have sustained. His mixtape series was phenomenal. The labels turned him into a one hit wonder unfortunately and his best works never got well showcased.
Integral Studios an LA-based studio/management company/tech marketing team founded by a native Roxburyian, Valdimir Samedi- now known as "V-Live" Here they are featured in Forbes.

The Future Of Music: Integral Studio Partners With Sony For A Data-Driven Approach To Artist Marketing

V-Live also manages Roxbury Bred Artist Vintage Lee, recently featured in today's Boston Globe. He also manages other Boston area artist like Caliph (Grammy winner).

In general, Boston has some decent production creds, aside from Michael Bivins in the RnB (finnaly by BBD ft. SWV was big in 2018) world there LDG Beats of Brockton, MA who produced Reel It in by Amine. He's also produced for Tyga, IDK and Cousin Stizz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZigwGPcsdr0

and Lil Rich of Lowell MA who produced "hard bottoms, white socks" on YG's latest album. He's also produced for Doja Cat, Bia, and Cousin Stizz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX9uG2SFFlY

The quality of music from these guys is high. Lil Rich also raps also has songs with OG Maco and Tory Lanez before he ever moved out to LA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nTmejUv2x8

Bowls (prod. LDG)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2022, 12:28 PM

10,102 posts, read 6,792,754 times
Since Puerto Rico is after all in USA, San Juan may as well be tied with Atlanta for the top modern spot by now.

Old 02-16-2022, 12:42 PM

21,839 posts, read 13,066,700 times
Quote:
Since Puerto Rico is after all in USA, San Juan may as well be tied with Atlanta for the top modern spot by now.
That's not "hip hop" its Reggaeton and there is a difference. Especially in terms of the American market.

Old 02-16-2022, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
That's not "hip hop" its Reggaeton and there is a difference. Especially in terms of the American market.
Trust me I know. I already got into a heated discussion about this with Foamposite. Anyway, I wasn’t talking about reggaeton, I was talking about Trap and hip hop music in Puerto Rico which is huge right now. Even before the rise of trap, there was a decent hip hop (not reggaeton) scene in PR. They are two different languages and cultures and markers but nonetheless if English speaking American trap music falls under hip hop, the only thing between Puerto Rico is the language and culture. And the only place in USA with success along the lines of Atlanta.

Old 02-16-2022, 08:50 PM

918 posts, read 1,099,015 times
Quote:
Trust me I know. I already got into a heated discussion about this with Foamposite. Anyway, I wasn’t talking about reggaeton, I was talking about Trap and hip hop music in Puerto Rico which is huge right now. Even before the rise of trap, there was a decent hip hop (not reggaeton) scene in PR. They are two different languages and cultures and markers but nonetheless if English speaking American trap music falls under hip hop, the only thing between Puerto Rico is the language and culture. And the only place in USA with success along the lines of Atlanta.
Bad Bunny is 3x bigger than the biggest Atlanta rapper. He's the most streamed globally for 2 years straight and sold 500k tickets to his tour in record time. If this stadium tour he announced (which I got tickets for in Miami at Hard Rock Stadium) sells well, I might have to put him as the top rapper in the world above Drake. It's hard to beat a rapper like him who debut the entire top 5 on the charts, but if it's anyone with the selling/streaming power, consistency, talent, and unwavering fame to do so; it's Bad Bunny.

He doesn't get his flowers because he's signed to Rimas (soon to be SONAR) based in PR and not a major label in the US who can put him in beneficial situations to really go mainstream (for example, there's a reason J Balvin got a McDonald's meal and not Bad Bunny when everyone knows who's the bigger artist).

Old 02-18-2022, 09:14 AM

368 posts, read 1,334,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
Bad Bunny is 3x bigger than the biggest Atlanta rapper. He's the most streamed globally for 2 years straight and sold 500k tickets to his tour in record time. If this stadium tour he announced (which I got tickets for in Miami at Hard Rock Stadium) sells well, I might have to put him as the top rapper in the world above Drake. It's hard to beat a rapper like him who debut the entire top 5 on the charts, but if it's anyone with the selling/streaming power, consistency, talent, and unwavering fame to do so; it's Bad Bunny.

He doesn't get his flowers because he's signed to Rimas (soon to be SONAR) based in PR and not a major label in the US who can put him in beneficial situations to really go mainstream (for example, there's a reason J Balvin got a McDonald's meal and not Bad Bunny when everyone knows who's the bigger artist).
Yeah I seen Bad Bunny was playing 2 nights in Minute Maid Park in Houston. He’s got it like that!! You gotta be popular to do that in one city.

Old 02-18-2022, 02:56 PM

1,387 posts, read 960,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRpDJ8esy-g Lil Baby at 1.9 Billion streams, Bad Bunny at 1.39 Billion.

Old 02-18-2022, 03:53 PM

918 posts, read 1,099,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
https://www.instagram.com/p/CRpDJ8esy-g Lil Baby at 1.9 Billion streams, Bad Bunny at 1.39 Billion.
That's midyear stats in the US from 2021, Bad Bunny didn't even drop anything but one reggaeton song in June while Lil Baby dropped a joint album with Lil Durk; and it's not even that big of a gap.

Anyways, Bad Bunny was America's #5 most streamed artist in 2021 by year's end, but I was speaking globally. Bad Bunny has 31b streams total, only artists to have more streams than him are Ed Sheeran and Drake. Lil Baby is #84 with 7.8b streams; sandwiched between two other major Atlanta rappers Young Thug and 21 Savage at #83 and #85 respectively. They're leagues apart. The highest Atlanta rapper is Future at #36 with 13b streams; 8b of those being from collabs.

Mind you, YHLQMDLG sold 180k in the US as a Spanish album and no American features, which was more than The Voice of the Heroes at 150k starring two of the biggest names in rap. He pulls more numbers with Spanish albums that established rappers do on their own soil.

Old 02-20-2022, 09:47 AM

2,758 posts, read 2,454,880 times
Quote:
Notwithstanding reggaeton not being hip hop, how is San Juan a top hip hop city?

Also isn't Bad Bunny not from San Juan? I'm think he's mentioned being from a smaller city.

Old 02-20-2022, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Notwithstanding reggaeton not being hip hop, how is San Juan a top hip hop city?

Also isn't Bad Bunny not from San Juan? I'm think he's mentioned being from a smaller city.
Vega Baja (Bad Bunny’s hometown) is one of San Juan’s metropolitan districts. You have to understand how Puerto Rico municipials work. They operate a bit differently from the states. And also, Puerto Rico is incredibly small. You’re either from San Juan, Ponce, or the country (yes Im exaggerating but still). Almost all reggaetoneros or rappers come from San Juan. Bayamon, Vega Baja, Carolina, Tegucigalpa, etc are all San Juan districts.

Anyway, what makes you think Puerto Rico is all reggaeton? Trap music in PR is as big as it is in USA. Different language, different culture (tho heavily still hip hop culture) but still trap music. Reggaeton and hip hop are separate genres yes (they just have common roots in the Caribbean). But trap grew out of hip hop and is a hip hop genre.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kMPW3AvBf_o
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City