Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Worst hip hop scene?
Boston 14 11.02%
DFW 10 7.87%
Phoenix 74 58.27%
Seattle 29 22.83%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2022, 10:06 AM

21,811 posts, read 13,009,750 times

Advertisements

PR and San Juan are not a part of the mainstream hip hop landscape. Nothing you’re saying is wrong Pswag but it’s just not in the same lane for 99% of American rap fans. It’s definitely ‘other’ as far as most are concerned you might as well be talking Kingston and Lagos….
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2022, 10:20 AM

10,046 posts, read 6,750,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
PR and San Juan are not a part of the mainstream hip hop landscape. Nothing you’re saying is wrong Pswag but it’s just not in the same lane for 99% of American rap fans. It’s definitely ‘other’ as far as most are concerned you might as well be talking Kingston and Lagos….
Yeah that’s what I’m saying, they’re just a separate landscape is all yet they produce some of the worlds biggest hip hop artists (just as USA does).

Old 02-20-2022, 10:22 AM

2,758 posts, read 2,448,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Vega Baja (Bad Bunny’s hometown) is one of San Juan’s metropolitan districts. You have to understand how Puerto Rico municipials work. They operate a bit differently from the states. And also, Puerto Rico is incredibly small. You’re either from San Juan, Ponce, or the country (yes Im exaggerating but still). Almost all reggaetoneros or rappers come from San Juan. Bayamon, Vega Baja, Carolina, Tegucigalpa, etc are all San Juan districts.

Anyway, what makes you think Puerto Rico is all reggaeton? Trap music in PR is as big as it is in USA. Different language, different culture (tho heavily still hip hop culture) but still trap music. Reggaeton and hip hop are separate genres yes (they just have common roots in the Caribbean). But trap grew out of hip hop and is a hip hop genre.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kMPW3AvBf_o
Ah ok, I wasn't sure if Vega Baja was considered San Juan or not. A lot of the Caribbean is like that (town vs. country)

I don't think PR is all reggaeton, I'm just asking why you think San Juan is a top hip hop city.

Old 02-23-2022, 08:25 AM

Token (Salem MA) with J.I.D. 1 M vies in 13 days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1E8mKKl2sI

Token with Tech 9, 22M views:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsLJLCtU32w

Reem Skully a Mattapan Rapper with TSU Surf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPpdgRBJWcA

Chilla Jones a Dorchester Battle Rapper (I went to elementary with him) with Method Man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh0Lulm77Ls

King Brickz dorchester Rapper w/ Styles P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf5z3v0Z82Y

Part of the 2016 BOILER ROOM set in Boston:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qf9DcYHwlE

A write up on NPR of the Boston scene: https://www.npr.org/2020/10/14/92224...ing-for-itself

Other literature on the scene:

Has Boston Become a Hip-Hop Town?

The next Moment of Truth: Challenging Boston’s attitude on rap, artists are eying ways to make more space for hip-hop

"Hip-hop is everywhere in Dorchester. Booming from the subwoofers of passing cars, and leaking from earbuds on Ashmont-bound trains. Irrepressible, it seems to seep up through cracks in the pavement, like splotches of oil under the baking sun. And from 7-10 p.m. on the last Tuesday night of each month, it rattles the walls at Dorchester Art Project’s nascent open mic in Fields Corner.

The monthly showcase is quickly becoming a proving ground for Dorchester’s wealth of artistic talent. A sign-up sheet for the event is posted at 6:30 p.m.; often, it’s full within minutes."

Five Boston Rappers and Their Local Music Recommendations

The Rap Map: Meet 5 Talented Artists From Boston
The Boston hip-hop scene is relatively contained at the moment, but ready to explode on a national level.

Welcome to Boston: Drill

Old 03-21-2022, 08:03 AM

Spotify, Ripple- Effect New England: New England music breaking waves. Cover, Vintage Lee

50 songs from artists like Coi Leray, Lily Rayne, VanBuren, Vintage Lee, Smoke Bulga, Joyner Lucas, Cousin Stizz, Khary, $hayBand$, Anoyd, Caev and more

Old 03-21-2022, 02:16 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,484,121 times
Meagan the Stallion is cancelled...soooooo Houston...We have a problem!!

Old 03-21-2022, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Lost a lot of respect for her. A lot. She was the homie.

Old 03-21-2022, 02:42 PM

918 posts, read 1,095,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
For what? I saw people saying Rihanna unfollowed her on social media and all that but I didn’t pay much attention to it.

Old 03-21-2022, 02:44 PM

10,046 posts, read 6,750,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Lost a lot of respect for her. A lot. She was the homie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
For what? I saw people saying Rihanna unfollowed her on social media and all that but I didn’t pay much attention to it.
^

Nothing will change my opinion on Megan because I was never a fan but all I found was a bikini picture and a record label dispute.

Old 03-21-2022, 02:47 PM

She lied about Tory Lanez shooting here threw a black man under the bus then tried to say she was protecting a black man from police but not immediately identifying him. IRL it was likely her friend who was also sleeping with Tory who shot her but she wouldn't admit that because she wouldn't want to be embarrassed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City