Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Worst hip hop scene?
Boston 14 11.02%
DFW 10 7.87%
Phoenix 74 58.27%
Seattle 29 22.83%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2022, 10:16 AM

21,839 posts, read 13,066,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Yes, because Boston's hip hop scene is just overflowing on to the national stage. I mean who doesn't consider Drop Kick Murphys to be the one of the most influential hip hop groups of all time?
I guess I missed the whole thread? With the Boston artists in the billboards, signaling to major labels, making videos with everybody from Migos to Doja Cat to Dave East? it literally is. I take it your favorite rapper is Eminem?

Dudes from my high school are currently producing for Jcole and Bas..https://www.instagram.com/p/CbI37BAJ...dium=copy_link

But I’m sure Phoenix is just benign slept on? Lol

but yea you got it. This isn’t pint. IRL Boston should be above Dallas but your perception of Dallas vs Boston heavily obscures the realities of their contributions to hip hop. But that comes with the territory. The ultimate tough L for a Dallas posters has to be the group Gangstarr a Boston rapper and Houston DJ who each eclipsed anything Dallas has ever done in hip hop both as individuals and a group.

National profile aside Boston and Dallas have much more hip hop infrastruture established than Seattle and Phoenix (hip hop oriented media, location, exposure, history, current acts, black population) can’t argue that.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 03-22-2022 at 10:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2022, 10:30 AM

869 posts, read 326,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I guess I missed the whole thread? With the Boston artists in the billboards, signaling to major labels, making videos with everybody from Migos to Doja Cat to Dave East? it literally is. I take it your favorite rapper is Eminem?

Dudes from my high school are currently producing for Jcole and Bas..https://www.instagram.com/p/CbI37BAJ...dium=copy_link

But I’m sure Phoenix is just benign slept on? Lol

but yea you got it. This isn’t pint. IRL Boston should be above Dallas but your perception of Dallas vs Boston heavily obscures the realities of their contributions to hip hop. But that comes with the territory. The ultimate tough L for a Dallas posters has to be the group Gangstarr a Boston rapper and Houston DJ who each eclipsed anything Dallas has ever done in hip hop both as individuals and a group.

National profile aside Boston and Dallas have much more hip hop infrastruture established than Seattle and Phoenix (hip hop oriented media, location, exposure, history, current acts, black population) can’t argue that.

Lol...yep, this is a HARSH truth.

Old 03-22-2022, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecitytx View Post
Lol...yep, this is a HARSH truth.
I didn’t mean to give Dallas another stray but yea it’s a harsh truth.

The point of this thread is which of these underachievers underachieves the most how and where that isn’t Phoenix is illogical. Dallas given its black population size/clout underachieves massively- but it’s obviously more established than Phoenix (virtually non existent). Seattle has lil mosey who isn’t good and fell off. And they have Macklemore a one hit wonder who rapped but really was pop. And sir mix a lot who has respect but is also a one hit wonder for a song about butts.

No city outside of Phoenix should have gotten a single vote.

How a poster gonna say Dropkick Murphy is a notable rap group out of Boston when it like what are the other cities bringing to the table? Dorrough and Sir Mix A lot and ____? gotta be a joke. There wouldn’t have even been a Source Awards if it weren’t for a maligned Boston rapper.

Old 03-22-2022, 03:13 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,490,330 times
....okay have fun with this as long as you want. Dallas is no slouch which is why it shouldn't have been on this list....Give credit where it due...and stop living in the past to downgrade another scene.

Old 03-22-2022, 03:34 PM

918 posts, read 1,099,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
....okay have fun with this as long as you want. Dallas is no slouch which is why it shouldn't have been on this list....Give credit where it due...and stop living in the past to downgrade another scene.
FWIW, it does say "DFW" and not just Dallas. Fort Worth is about as irrelevant as Phoenix on its own, so it definitely brings Dallas down when the two are conflated.

Old 03-22-2022, 03:44 PM

365 posts, read 235,264 times
Quote:
I didn’t mean to give Dallas another stray but yea it’s a harsh truth.

The point of this thread is which of these underachievers underachieves the most how and where that isn’t Phoenix is illogical. Dallas given its black population size/clout underachieves massively- but it’s obviously more established than Phoenix (virtually non existent). Seattle has lil mosey who isn’t good and fell off. And they have Macklemore a one hit wonder who rapped but really was pop. And sir mix a lot who has respect but is also a one hit wonder for a song about butts.

No city outside of Phoenix should have gotten a single vote.

How a poster gonna say Dropkick Murphy is a notable rap group out of Boston when it like what are the other cities bringing to the table? Dorrough and Sir Mix A lot and ____? gotta be a joke. There wouldn’t have even been a Source Awards if it weren’t for a maligned Boston rapper.
Well, and the whole 4+ million cut off is pretty arbitrary. Places like Denver, San Diego, Minneapolis, etc. that are just a little below the threshold honestly aren't that much better than Phoenix. Minneapolis/St. Paul is probably about at Seattle's level (still not good), and there are a bunch of other metros between 3-4 million that are right there with Phoenix (terrible).

Boston and Dallas both have much larger CSAs than the other two as well, which is perhaps why people expect more out of them, but obviously they are the two best on this list.

Old 03-22-2022, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
BIA, Joyner, Millyz, Token, Coi Leray, Cousin Stizz, Chilla Jones is in the past? J Cole and Bas collaborated in the past. YG Hard Bottom Red socks is “living in the past”? Boston producer in Amine’s Reel it in was the past? Being home base for Amalgam Digital I guess is the past… I didnt even toss in the RnB acts or Procudence artists like AraabMuzik, Blu Cantrell, Flawless RI, or Jon B.

Old 03-22-2022, 03:54 PM

10,100 posts, read 6,792,754 times
Quote:
BIA, Joyner, Millyz, Token, Coi Leray, Cousin Stizz, Chilla Jones is in the past? J Cole and Bas collaborated in the past. YG Hard Bottom Red socks is “living in the past”? Boston producer in Amine’s Reel it in was the past? Being home base for Amalgam Digital I guess is the past… I didnt even toss in the RnB acts or Procudence artists like AraabMuzik, Blu Cantrell, Flawless RI, or Jon B.
He's talking about Houston. Which is obviously an even crazier claim, but what do you expect?

Old 03-22-2022, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarSeltzer View Post
Well, and the whole 4+ million cut off is pretty arbitrary. Places like Denver, San Diego, Minneapolis, etc. that are just a little below the threshold honestly aren't that much better than Phoenix. Minneapolis/St. Paul is probably about at Seattle's level (still not good), and there are a bunch of other metros between 3-4 million that are right there with Phoenix (terrible).

Boston and Dallas both have much larger CSAs than the other two as well, which is perhaps why people expect more out of them, but obviously they are the two best on this list.
4M makes sense because that’s basically top 10/12 cities and there aren’t gonna be many more major scenes than that.

There are many cities that don’t produce much of anything at all ever.

Old 03-22-2022, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
He's talking about Houston. Which is obviously an even crazier claim, but what do you expect?
Oh I thought he was referring to Boston because I mentioned Gang Starr. But yea that makes it bananas. Houston is as big as it’s been since 2005 if not bigger. And you can’t be mad other cities have a hip hop past and Dallas kinda doesn’t.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City