Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Worst hip hop scene?
Boston 14 11.02%
DFW 10 7.87%
Phoenix 74 58.27%
Seattle 29 22.83%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2022, 04:05 PM

365 posts, read 234,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
4M makes sense because that’s basically top 10/12 cities and there aren’t gonna be many more major scenes than that.

There are many cities that don’t produce much of anything at all ever.
I just checked and Phoenix is actually way higher than I thought, at nearly 5 million, and they're far and away the worst of the bunch, so I guess I stand corrected. Phoenix also has contributed minimally to the rock scene - especially compared to Seattle and Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2022, 09:30 AM

119 posts, read 38,237 times
Boston really shouldn't be on this list. It's black population in raw numbers can't compete with NYC, Philly, NJ, Baltimore, DC etc.. It's not about having a large metro of 4M+ or whatever the threshold is for this debate. It's about your city having enough blacks in raw numbers to establish an identity. Hip-hop is black culture. There's other cities in black America that underperform relative to their black population. Why are we debating cities that don't have the firepower to make noise?

Old 03-23-2022, 09:43 AM

21,815 posts, read 13,009,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upperechelon View Post
Boston really shouldn't be on this list. It's black population in raw numbers can't compete with NYC, Philly, NJ, Baltimore, DC etc.. It's not about having a large metro of 4M+ or whatever the threshold is for this debate. It's about your city having enough blacks in raw numbers to establish an identity. Hip-hop is black culture. There's other cities in black America that underperform relative to their black population. Why are we debating cities that don't have the firepower to make noise?
Its competing iwth Seattle and Phoenix primarily

And it's not like Baltimore is better than Boston here.

Dallas isn't on par with Philly despite similar numbers.

Boston area's black population is #20 in the US though- so it has the firepower to make noise. At least as much as the Bay. This is probably why it sometimes does/has.

I thinkt the black population in the Boston Area is probably about the same as New Orleans in raw number.

Old 07-30-2022, 02:52 PM

141 posts, read 92,924 times
Does the recent rise of Travis Thompson from Seattle change this? Hes got songs on Youtube with 20-30 million plays and is getting more national acclaim.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fyMmVX6JYbo

Old 07-30-2022, 03:01 PM

2,310 posts, read 1,734,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGuterson View Post
Does the recent rise of Travis Thompson from Seattle change this? Hes got songs on Youtube with 20-30 million plays and is getting more national acclaim.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fyMmVX6JYbo
Travis is a mixed bag for me but I really like some of his songs. This is a good one

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1wRJxLqcbdg

Old 07-30-2022, 03:49 PM

2,310 posts, read 1,734,632 times
Actually- to me, this video really shows how his skills are off the charts:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=06Ew4NCdzLM

Old 07-30-2022, 03:54 PM

4,182 posts, read 2,901,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upperechelon View Post
Phoenix and Seattle have less though, correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City