Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Worst hip hop scene?
Boston 14 11.02%
DFW 10 7.87%
Phoenix 74 58.27%
Seattle 29 22.83%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 08:20 PM

10,117 posts, read 9,999,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea I search for Bmore rap while I’m here but honestly compared to Boston the scene is less vibrant.

Current Bmore rappers I know:
Creek Boyz
Tate Kobang
Bandhunta Izzy
TSO Tadoe
Lor Scoota (RIP)
Lor Dae
YBS Skola
Los
Butch Dawson

Current Boston rappers I know:
Vintage Lee
Mizzie Cash
Jefe Replay
Dutche Rebelle
BIA (major hit w/ Russ and Nicki Minaj)
Brandie Blaze
PISTOLA
Big Super
Brandon James
Avenue
Latrell James (made a commercial w/ Cheerios)
Kye Bills
Caliph (Grammy winner)
Ken Frank
T Drape
Trae Da Kidd
BTL EK
Millyz (signed w/ Jada, has joint album with Dave East)
D The Flyers (had a major song, ‘Fugazi’ w/ Lil Baby)
Sammy Adams
BJ Balla
Plad Finesse
Oompa
Clark D
Gio Dee
Rosewood Bape
8 zipp
Side street Capo
KT Cuatro
Ygizzle
Token
Cousin Stizz (song w/ Offset, Doja Catt, BIA)
Van Buren (was invited to the Dreamville sessions)
TaShawn Taylor
Billy Bando
Dollasz HSM
Rocky Rich
7981 Kal
G Fredk
Jidenna (raised in Mattapan and Norwood MA, shouts out Mattapan in a few songs, mentions it in interviews)
Greatness
Ditto Bandz
Big Leano
BoriRock (he’s dope!)

I could go on and on and on with Boston.

Don’t forget Free is from Boston that’s was important culturally. Mashonda and Amerie we’re both born in MA, Mashonda lived in Boston though and was there much lob we than Amerie who is a DC artist( you can hear it in her music too).
Don't Forget Lonnie Da Goat
https://youtu.be/GGjPZHvKjTo

I'd add Tay Roc too even though he's a battle rapper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2021, 08:23 PM

20,523 posts, read 33,590,056 times
If anybody watched that one sided beat down on Verzuz last night, you can’t possibly put no other city than NYC in its own tier historically. That was all hip hop there.

As for this list, I agree that Boston and DFW doesn’t belong on this list. Seattle and Phoenix does even though they’ve had artists.

Old 08-04-2021, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
If anybody watched that one sided beat down on Verzuz last night, you can’t possibly put no other city than NYC in its own tier historically. That was all hip hop there.

As for this list, I agree that Boston and DFW doesn’t belong on this list. Seattle and Phoenix does even though they’ve had artists.
Historically NYC deserves all the respect in the world. Last night was definitely a good look for NYC. However, historically, LA certainly, and Atlanta belong in the conversation at least.

Old 08-04-2021, 08:33 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,087,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Nope. Houston rappers are in all ages right now. From old legends like Scarface to 14 year old Lay Lay about to star on Nickelodeon. And everything in between. What makes DFW’s scene seem younger is that they don’t have many legends so most of what they have is younger. There’s plenty of younger rappers in Houston being overshadowed by Travis, Megan, Toliver etc.

Hopefully one of the DFW artist reaches stardom.
I’m not arguing Houston doesn’t have young rappers. I’m saying that is something DFW excels at especially when compared to Houston. I look for young Texas rappers, and it’s something the state struggles with as a whole. Compared to similar states like New York, Cali and Florida, Texas is outright behind overall in numeric number of popping young rappers and when you bring up unique and popping it’s a chasm. I personally know rappers from Houston in that age range, non of them are what we would call popping. In terms of just views or streams, Dallas has several more popular 16-22 year olds than Houston. Also like I said Houston is less on that Texas Rap wave, which Dallas and Central Texas has been molding for years. Houston is definitely a city of Oldheads, like 90% of Houston centric songs that make the playlist are folks 30+. I can’t think of a Houston banger in the last 5-10 years made by someone not named Megan or Travis under the age of 26-27. Don Tolliver who is from Houston doesn’t even make city-focused music. I’m not the biggest fan so if he is dropping names in his albums/EPs I wouldn’t know.

You say these rappers exist, but that doesn’t defeat my point if they don’t have a buzz or make Atlanta-Trap-esque music with no Houston influences. Imma need names, because I personally look for young musicians to support in the city, and I don’t see these large groups of musicians who are overshadowed by Megan and Travis.

Old 08-04-2021, 08:38 PM

21,701 posts, read 12,854,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Don't Forget Lonnie Da Goat

I'd add Tay Roc too even though he's a battle rapper.
*I meant Dotti Bandz not Ditto Bandz.

Forgot about Tay Roc, I mentioned Chilla Jones earlier.

Don’t forget Jon B, Blu Cantrell (Hit Em Up Style), AraabMuzik and Flawless Real Talk (runner up on Rhythm and flow) are all from Providence.

Never heard of Lonnie Da Goat

Old 08-04-2021, 08:46 PM

Quote:
*I meant Dotti Bandz not Ditto Bandz.

Forgot about Tay Roc, I mentioned Chilla Jones earlier.

Don’t forget Jon B, Blu Cantrell (Hit Em Up Style), AraabMuzik and Flawless Real Talk (runner up on Rhythm and flow) are all from Providence.

Never heard of Lonnie Da Goat
Lonnie Da Goat gets played on 92Q, I'm not sure if he's famous outside of Baltimore. He's my little cousin, so I'm biased.

Old 08-04-2021, 08:55 PM

253 posts, read 201,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I would say Phoenix or Seattle. Ive never heard of any rappers from either.

Also, Dallas? I thought it was a good hip hop/rap scene.
Sir Mix A Lot
Macklemore

Old 08-04-2021, 09:03 PM

21,701 posts, read 12,854,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Lonnie Da Goat gets played on 92Q, I'm not sure if he's famous outside of Baltimore. He's my little cousin, so I'm biased.
I listen to 92Q, what’s a song of his they play. That’s where I heard Creek Boyz and Lor Dae.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:12 PM

Quote:
I listen to 92Q, what’s a song of his they play. That’s where I heard Creek Boyz and Lor Dae.
I'll post the link again. I don't know how the hell they get video thumbnails on City Data.

Creek Boyz sound like a name of a group from way out in the middle of nowhere. That name comes from the Cross Creek Apartments in Woodlawn. It's funny because Lonnie Da Goat's Great Grandmother (my grandmother) and his Grandfather (my uncle) lived in those apartments back in the 90s.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:13 PM

153 posts, read 111,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post

Everyone knew it would be one sided when they heard the matchup. We are talking the Lox. True lyricist on gritty beats. A better matchup would be Griselda vs the lox.

Dipset is loud showboats. It's like the east sides answer to southern crunk music. They have catchy hooks and a few clever verses. But all that holy moly, rolley polly,,, stuff was not going to compete with the lox.

But i agree with you. NYC is a great hip hop scene. Even the underground scene is huge there and battle rap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City