Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 07:39 PM

994 posts, read 781,625 times

Advertisements

Mijo, great job at putting this together. I mainly focused on the Midwest and Northeast overall, but I agree with you groupings 100 percent. You can make a case for Baltimore-DC combined (you know that one has never been brought up before lol). I could also get with Cincinnati-Dayton being combined, but that is a new one in the last 10-20 years with the explosive growth in Butler and Warren counties that separate the two.

But keeping them separate is fine as well since the Cincinnati-Dayton combination would be more Cleveland-Canton (job migration patterns show that). Cleveland-Akron-Canton is different in that you have a Dayton sized metro, in Akron, right in the middle. But now Butler and Warren counties alone (even though mostly sprawl) is now also nearly the size of Akron's MSA.

Thats one that can go either way for now.

Even with that, my biggest takeaway still is how much a separate Cincinnati MSA has grown. Columbus is the poster child and gained 920,000 since 1970. But Cincinnati is sitting there at 560,000. True, Cincinnati picked up a ton of counties in the past 50 years that weren't there in 1970. But so did Columbus.

This next 10 years, and I've been saying it since about 2015, is going to be about how much does Cincinnati continues to grow. I'll call it right now, it will lead the way in the Cs. Cincinnati has been kicking Columbus' butt in every metric outside population for a while (and I don't even think that is accurate since about 2015. I think the battle will be whether Columbus can outgain Cleveland over the next 10 years. Columbus has been much closer to Cleveland for the past 5 years in economic metrics than it is has been to Cincinnati. And let's face it, Columbus has been the getaway for people from Cleveland, Detroit and even Pittsburgh due to being smaller. Columbus now has some big city issues it will face (even if masked by larger city boundaries) . ... most notably crime. At an overall 2 million or so people mark, it is very similar to the others.

Btw, Cincinnati is kind of a darling on this site, but Pittsburgh (IMO) has been THE darling of this area. It really should be Cincinnati.

Overall, I see good things for all of them (and Detroit and Western NY) in the coming years. People get stuck on population trends being linear. If that was the case then all these metros (and Detroit and St. Louis) would be at 5 million plus. But economics change over time. And we are at the point where these (especially Rust Belt metros) absolutely offer the most bang for your buck. The Sun Belt now is just as if not more expensive than these areas. There is still a weather factor but as long as someone isn't a complete climate change denier (won't even say global warming but climate facts back it up... the globe is getting warmer regardless of man made or natural). This is probably the region that will be least affected (even though noticeable changes are happening here).

Last edited by ClevelandBrown; 08-15-2021 at 07:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2021, 08:32 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post

Atlanta? Slowing down? 800,000 is Great but I Remember when Atlanta used to do 1,000,000 every census
In Other News You mean to tell me Atlanta hasn't cracked 500,000k in City Limits Yet!? Census playing Games with Atlanta lol

I believe Atlanta did 1,000,000+ in only one census...

Old 08-15-2021, 08:52 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I believe Atlanta did 1,000,000+ in only one census...
It was actually twice.

1990-2000 and again from 2000-2010

Old 08-15-2021, 09:00 PM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post

The data base is correct so no problems there. I must have made a copy/paste error when preparing the Charlotte data. As for Orlando, I used the 1950 information and not the 1970 It's all corrected now.
You need to go back and correct your text, then.

You still have Orlando as growing 1,300% over the 50 years, presumably based on those 1950 figures, in your commentary on the data, not the 411% it actually grew.

But even at just fourfold, Orlando's a statistical outlier. Disney World, which IIRC opened in the 1970s, probably had a lot to do with it.

Old 08-15-2021, 09:19 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
You need to go back and correct your text, then.

You still have Orlando as growing 1,300% over the 50 years, presumably based on those 1950 figures, in your commentary on the data, not the 411% it actually grew.

But even at just fourfold, Orlando's a statistical outlier. Disney World, which IIRC opened in the 1970s, probably had a lot to do with it.
He changed it in the table, but I do see the lingering 1300% in the summary below it.
Clearly the opening of Disney World had everything to do with launching the insane growth of the Orlando MSA.

Old 08-15-2021, 09:23 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
I think Detroit's ok. The city has it's struggles, but the Detroit region has held it's population better than the other core Rustbelt metros. I think it's decently positioned for the future. While it'll probably never be a growth darling it still performs better than most people typically realize.
Amazing how much good PR Pittsburgh gets fir being pretty much the worst preforming metro in the entire country.

Old 08-15-2021, 09:46 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Amazing how much good PR Pittsburgh gets fir being pretty much the worst preforming metro in the entire country.
Certainly if you just look at numbers you could walk away thinking that. I think the case for Pittsburgh starts with the fact that it started facing stagnation and decline a full two decades before the other cities. The decentralization of the steel industries there actually started happening in the early 40s during WW2.

When I look at the steeper hill PGH has had to climb, and the fact that it posted metro gains for the first time in over 6 decades; It tells me the framework that has been laid to transition it into a modern environment with a sustainable population is more than just hype. Really for all of those metro's that had been facing those decades of decline. The coming years will be interesting to see if they are able to sustain those positive trends.

Old 08-15-2021, 09:46 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
He changed it in the table, but I do see the lingering 1300% in the summary below it.
Clearly the opening of Disney World had everything to do with launching the insane growth of the Orlando MSA.
It's all fixed. No more Orlando misinformation lol.

Old 08-15-2021, 10:03 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
I appreciate your work, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo
As everyone pretty much knows, I always focus on the rapidly overlapping metros in Central NorCal, here represented by 4 metros that have significant commuter exchange rates:

San Francisco, Sacramento, Stockton & Modesto
1970: 5,521,598
2010: 9,521,188
2020: 10,478,969

Growth:
1970-2020: +4,957,371(+89.78%)
2010-2020: +957,781(+10.05%)

Old 08-15-2021, 10:40 PM

994 posts, read 781,625 times
Quote:
Certainly if you just look at numbers you could walk away thinking that. I think the case for Pittsburgh starts with the fact that it started facing stagnation and decline a full two decades before the other cities. The decentralization of the steel industries there actually started happening in the early 40s during WW2.

When I look at the steeper hill PGH has had to climb, and the fact that it posted metro gains for the first time in over 6 decades; It tells me the framework that has been laid to transition it into a modern environment with a sustainable population is more than just hype. Really for all of those metro's that had been facing those decades of decline. The coming years will be interesting to see if they are able to sustain those positive trends.
Come on. That two decades is not an accurate statement. Don't put that out here like its a fact. No different than any of your typical rust belt cities/metros. ... Pittsburgh just whiter so population decreased sooner (due to lower birth rates).

With that, I've always been one who has touted Pittsburgh as being a great city. it also has to this day its share of blight, even within the city (Hill District)... It just happens where most of the blight is outside city limits in those depressed/just starting to recover "suburbs". Pittsburgh is shielded in the fact it doesn't have to drag areas like Rankin, Braddock, McKeesport (dozens of other small run down industrial towns along the rivers) along with its city numbers, when a lot of them in the core.

People dog places like Columbus for being 200 square miles like its not urban compared to 50 square miles of Pittsburgh. What about them other 150 square miles? It works both ways (though Pittsburgh does kill it when talking just within 50)

Last edited by ClevelandBrown; 08-15-2021 at 10:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City