Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Cleveland more similar to Baltimore or Memphis?
Memphis 6 8.96%
Baltimore 61 91.04%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2021, 09:52 AM

824 posts, read 715,026 times

Advertisements

Cleveland, Memphis and Baltimore are three struggling cities that all have some bright spots. They are all have notable black history and suffer from widespread urban decay that never really reaches the levels of Detroit however. All three cities are pretty distinct from each other outside of these similarities.

Memphis is a river city, Cleveland is a lake city, and Baltimore is a ocean port city. Baltimore is known for its brick row homes which stretch on for miles, Cleveland is known for its miles of two-flats, and Memphis is a Bungalow city.

While Cleveland and Baltimore have limited subway systems, Memphis does have a streetcar system.

This is comparison can either he just the cities or metro. I’m basing this off of the Minneapolis, Boston or Seattle thread, but that was a slam-dunk for Seattle, so I’m hoping that this comparison is a bit more difficult. (Based on the results so far I have to come up with better comparison threads.)

Last edited by Northeasterner1970; 08-27-2021 at 10:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2021, 11:24 AM

4,406 posts, read 4,304,724 times
Baltimore. Not even remotely close.

Old 08-27-2021, 12:00 PM

406 posts, read 487,055 times
Even though Baltimore has a sizeable seaport, it's technically a river city as well. It sits on the Patapsco River which feeds into the larger Chesapeake Bay and then the Atlantic Ocean. Also, I think Cleveland is more like Baltimore. Too many historic connections (Baltimore & Ohio Railroad) as well as present day (AFC North Division in American football) connections not to.

Old 08-27-2021, 03:46 PM

3,549 posts, read 2,341,146 times
Baltimore by a landslide (the good and the bad)

Old 08-27-2021, 04:00 PM

6,384 posts, read 5,021,384 times
Memphis is just weird, there aren't really any other cities like it. Essentially a Rust Belt legacy city, but with a weak downtown and more of a suburban orientation --- and a large and influential black population where many blacks live in the suburbs as well, yet also stark and persisting black-white segregation, and very small Latino/Asian/ethnic white populations. Decent-sized overall metro area, but with a kind of rural feeling because development drops to almost nothing as soon as you cross the river.

Old 08-27-2021, 09:41 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,992,607 times
The answer is probably Baltimore, but I voted Memphis because the poll should be much closer than it is now. To me Cleveland is like a sunbelt city, except that it boomed 50 years earlier during a more industrial time. It's not especially urban in the way that Baltimore is/was. I don't know much about Memphis, but Cleveland reminds me of Charlotte, just 50 years older.

Old 08-27-2021, 10:06 PM

393 posts, read 262,933 times
Quite easily Baltimore, Memphis is more like New Orleans.

Old 08-28-2021, 12:31 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,630,065 times
Baltimore even stood in for Cleveland in Major League II

Old 08-30-2021, 12:02 PM

994 posts, read 784,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
The answer is probably Baltimore, but I voted Memphis because the poll should be much closer than it is now. To me Cleveland is like a sunbelt city, except that it boomed 50 years earlier during a more industrial time. It's not especially urban in the way that Baltimore is/was. I don't know much about Memphis, but Cleveland reminds me of Charlotte, just 50 years older.
Your perception really is not factual. Cleveland doesn't have the colonial history as Baltimore, but it still reached top 10 in the U.S. by 1890 at 260,000 (Cleveland was probably only 30 square miles then). Charlotte, despite a much larger land area didn't surpass 260,000 until the 1980 census (I'm assuming Charlotte was well over 100 square miles at that point). So, 90 years later.

I'm not sure what the land area was for either city (though Cleveland I believe was still annexing some formerly independent neighborhoods at that time), but by 1910, it passed Baltimore in population (560,000 to 558,000) and the two stayed pretty much neck and neck for the next 40 years before Baltimore repassed Cleveland in 1950 (949,000 to 915,000). That was both cities' peak population. Cleveland remained in the top 10 through the 1970 census. Baltimore through the 1980 census before both dropped out for good. Charlotte won't match Cleveland's peak population until 2030 (needs to grow by 40,000 more this decade), and even if it does, Charlotte is over 300 square land miles.

Cleveland, outside of possibly adding a couple square miles for airport expansion, has not added any populated land since 1950. Maryland passed annexation laws in 1948 that blocked Baltimore from being able to annex as well. So by 1950, both cities' land area was set. Cleveland 78 square miles; Baltimore at 80 square miles.

That put Baltimore's population density at roughly 11,900 PPSM and Cleveland at 11,700 PPSM in 1950. Not much of a difference. Plus, unlike Baltimore, Cleveland had two urban "suburbs" that had a higher population density than the city of Cleveland (Lakewood and East Cleveland). Lakewood's density was around 12,400 PPSM and East Cleveland around 13,000 PPSM in 1950. Add those in and "Cleveland" would have been at 1,023,000 in 86 square miles, or around 11,900 PPSM, virtually identical to Baltimore.

Aesthetically, there is no argument that Baltimore was built more dense than Cleveland, but Cleveland was hardly built in some Sun Belt type manner. The reason it was able to match Baltimore was due to Cleveland splitting its up and down "Cleveland doubles" from 2 units into 4; its 4-unit apartment buildings into 8 units; 8-unit buildings into 16; 16-units into 32. Cleveland absolutely packed more people into housing units than they were meant for, something I don't believe was as big of an issue in Baltimore. Then Baltimore has done a better job of retaining its population (Baltimore down 47 percent from peak, Cleveland 76 percent) due to not taking the bulldozer to much of its most compact neighborhoods ... See Hough in Cleveland, that while the most built urban neighborhood in the city, it was still probably built to handle a population of 40,000 in its 2 square miles (20,000 PPSM); instead it had a population of 60,000 to 70,000 (or 30,000 to 35,000 per square mile). Hough was essential wiped away following riots in the late 1960s and hundreds of dense, brick apartment buildings were bulldozed (and turned into McMansions in the early 90s in an attempt to lure black suburbanites back into the city.

So, if you want to say that Baltimore was built in a true 12,000 PPSM form where Cleveland more in an 8,000 to 9,000 PPSM form, there would be no argument from me. That's still significantly tighter than anything in the Sun Belt (sans Miami or Los Angeles, if you include those in the Sun Belt).

Back to Memphis, its land area was still about 120 square miles in 1950 and had a population of 396,000, so a density of 3,300 PPSM. I'm guessing (and if somebody has this information feel free to post it), that within 80 square miles, Memphis' density was much higher than 3,300, but doubt it approached the near 12,000 that Baltimore and Cleveland had (maybe 5-6,000 for Memphis??).

Even beyond density, in a comparison between Memphis and Baltimore, there is not argument that Cleveland isn't more similar to Baltimore.

Both cities were/are heavy industrial dominated by unions.

Both cities are more similar when it came to immigration patterns from Europe, though Cleveland had more from southern and Eastern Europe.

Both cities have some Appalachian influences due to migration. Baltimore moreso, but Cleveland has/had a couple pockets of Applachians (though Appalachians mainly settled in Akron and Canton).

I'm guessing the black migration for Cleveland and Baltimore was also more similar with it being mostly from the Carolinas/Georgia/Alabama; compared to Memphis which I'm assuming was people moving from smaller towns in the Mississippi Delta.

Old 08-30-2021, 04:46 PM

714 posts, read 448,894 times
Baltimore lol not sure why this is even a poll
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City