Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most beautiful city in Texas?
San Antonio 31 22.30%
Dallas 14 10.07%
Austin 59 42.45%
Houston 13 9.35%
Other(explain) 22 15.83%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 03:21 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,620,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I personally think Houston is more beautiful than Dallas due to the tall pine trees. There are some areas in northern and northwestern Houston metro that feel very much like Georgia, just much flatter.
I feel somewhat indifferent about the trees in most of Houston. I think it's the built environment with the natural setting in Houston that makes the overall setting unimpressive to me. I do think there's exceptions where the natural setting compliments the built environment. Areas such as Humble/Atascocita/ Kingwood/ pockets of Northwest(pockets of neighborhoods north of FM 1960)/ The Woodlands. The Woodlands imo is the best example on how to incorporate and compliment the natural setting with the built environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2021, 04:31 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,805,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I feel somewhat indifferent about the trees in most of Houston. I think it's the built environment with the natural setting in Houston that makes the overall setting unimpressive to me. I do think there's exceptions where the natural setting compliments the built environment. Areas such as Humble/Atascocita/ Kingwood/ pockets of Northwest(pockets of neighborhoods north of FM 1960)/ The Woodlands. The Woodlands imo is the best example on how to incorporate and compliment the natural setting with the built environment.
There is a reason for that.
The natural setting you attribute to Houston is not natural. These were either planted or invasive new-comers.

You get more natural settings in the areas you mentioned so I think that contributes to the better looks.
The vast majority of the area before it was settled was prairie with stands of magnolia, Pine, Cypress and a variety of Oaks such as Pin Oak, Post Oak, Shumard and other Red Oaks. Buffalo Bayou is named Buffalo bayou for a reason. The area was said to be lined with Buffalo for as far as the eye could see. The constant grazing and stomping of their hoofs prevented many trees from growing.

I do prefer the look of the more natural areas around Houston. I think Live Oak is overused in Houston. I think Houston would look a ton better if the bayous were left natural like Armand Bayou and they didn't rely so heavily on Live Oak

Old 09-07-2021, 11:53 AM

23,521 posts, read 24,006,421 times
I picked Austin.

Old 09-07-2021, 12:14 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,445,360 times
I admittedly have not been all over the state, but from what I've seen, San Antonio looks the most unique of the big 5.

Old 09-07-2021, 12:26 PM

393 posts, read 261,624 times
Austin has some hills not seen in the other 3 Texas cities.

Old 09-07-2021, 07:39 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,374,282 times
1) Austin for its mix of hills and lakes.

I’ll give Houston a mention for lush scenery, pine forests.

North San Antonio has it’s attractive areas in the hills.

Old 10-10-2021, 01:20 AM

41 posts, read 23,912 times
Maybe I have a bias, but Houston is my pick. I love our downtown, and the bayou...all of our parks and bayous. But this was the first truly major city I ever visited when I was just 18 and it was instant love.

That said, I think San Antonio is a wonderfully historic and beautiful city too and if we moved anywhere like for work or for the hell of it...I would choose SA at this point. I have been really kind of thinking about it lately.

Never been to El Paso or Austin but I would like to visit both; Amarillo too. I have never really cared for DFW. I do like their freeways and that's about it.

Old 10-10-2021, 04:58 AM

2,898 posts, read 2,001,020 times
City limits - San Antonio
Metro - Austin

Old 10-11-2021, 09:29 AM

1,260 posts, read 944,555 times
I vote Austin, but I don't really think any of the cities in Texas are "beautiful." Not saying they are ugly, they are just meh, when it comes to beauty.

Old 10-11-2021, 01:15 PM

1,168 posts, read 776,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
There is a reason for that.
The natural setting you attribute to Houston is not natural. These were either planted or invasive new-comers.
Most trees we see in urban and suburban American neighborhoods were planted, and I think Houston along with the other Texas cities doesn't plant enough. It's already one of the greenest major cities in the country and would be exceedingly so if more of its naturally forested landscape had been preserved. It's partially prairie but not unlike the Midwest and areas of the Deep South. The soil is rich and rainfall is abundant so just about any tree can grow well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City