Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Augusta, GA 14 22.95%
Greenville, SC 47 77.05%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2021, 08:56 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,097,502 times

Advertisements

Downtown
Crime
Schools
Shopping
Dining
Nightlife
Outdoor Activities
Progressiveness
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2021, 12:32 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,614,605 times
Greenville in most categories. Augusta may have the edge in shopping and perhaps dining...

Old 09-13-2021, 12:33 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,367,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
Downtown
Crime
Schools
Shopping
Dining
Nightlife
Outdoor Activities
Progressiveness
This will be a thread, I keep tabs on. Since beyond street viewing both cities a little bit in the past, don't know as much about both places as I wish I did. Augusta has a nice downtown (and even has one downtown street with street running, if you're a railfan like me!), but I suspect there's probably more to do in Greenville. Greenville also has the benefit, of not being far from Spartanburg. Along with a nice downtown, too.

Old 09-13-2021, 12:58 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,873,242 times
Greenville SC, I'm not gonna bash Augusta because I do believe it has potential but I think most people think because the Masters are there that it's nicer than it is.
Air quality is a big issue, I lived there for two years, and due to the paper factory, beef factory(I think it was beef) and another factory (forgot the third) all being located along the river, it causes most of the city to smell ....bad, particularly stronger in certain parts but def present in most parts, from downtown, to the mall, you have to go to Evans GA, or North Augusta SC to pretty much not smell it.
I feel food and night life could be better, the main issue for me is sanitation scores and variety/less chains, granted I lived there 2010 to the tail end of 2012...so sh** could have changed a lot as far as food, along with a whole host of things but when I was there, lots of places had 80, 81, lowest one I seen was 64 and it was still in operation.
I didn't have kids then soooooo I know nothing of the schools but I was working at Paine College at the time and the only other university was Augusta University which I do believe had a med school, both were private I think.

Will say Augusta did have it's pluses, cool nice people, pretty river walk, freeeeeeeeeeeee parking downtown, never had to worry about getting a damn parking ticket at all. Easy to get around, The Georgia Canal is a very nice 14 mile trail along the river, and has a really pretty waterfall, so if you are outdoorsy like me, it's really nice to be able to get to place like that within minutes.

Back to recreation, Living in Cary NC now, yeah it's safe BUT this also means If lets say me and my buddies want to play basketball at 1am in the morning, the cops are gonna come and tell us about how park is closed lol....in Augusta I could regularly get up with buddies at lets say 11pm...and the basket court will be filled and every one, from all back grounds, even the people with money in walton way would be out there playing basketball to 2 or 3 am and cops would just let us have fun since there was never any fights or nothing, just good exercise and sports talk .
Night life again things could have changed, but there wasn't much, a lot of people would just make the trek to Atlanta (which isn't exactly close, not far....but too far just to shake your skittles)
crime......I don't know, but been to both and never felt unsafe

Old 09-13-2021, 01:51 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,443,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Greenville in most categories. Augusta may have the edge in shopping and perhaps dining...
Nope, Augusta doesnt edge out Greenville here.

Old 09-13-2021, 02:05 PM

Downtown - Greenville. It's Greenville's biggest asset
Crime - subjective. Neither are hotbeds just oozing with crime, but neither are Mayberry

Schools - subjective, I dont know.
Shopping - Greenville. Greenville caters a larger trade area and punches well above its weight in retail. Not too much high end shopping, but neither is that abundant in Augusta.

Dining - Greenville has more restaurants, and has become a major foodie city
Nightlife - neither is a world beater in this case, but I guess Greenville

Outdoor Activities - Greenville. A lot of outer recreation in town plus the mountains nearby.
Progressiveness - Augusta

Old 09-13-2021, 02:14 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,238,998 times
Greenville has an excellent downtown for a city of its size. The waterfall and the bridge that goes across it are both terrific assets. Very clean too.

Everything else I suppose is subjective. I had the best Pimento Cheeseburger I've ever had in Augusta so personal feelings would trend towards them for dining.

Old 09-13-2021, 07:06 PM

210 posts, read 199,043 times
Greenville impressively punches about its weight in many categories.

Old 09-13-2021, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarino View Post
Greenville impressively punches about its weight in many categories.
Because its really not as small as people think it is.

Old 09-14-2021, 07:57 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,614,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Nope, Augusta doesnt edge out Greenville here.
*IMO, based on my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City